Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
onthebus
onthebus began at the beginning.

Device: Kbob
New User Help With Kobo

Apologies in advance if this is a silly question... I just downloaded an ebook from kobo. I was hoping I could copy the text in order to use it with an audio reader in my classroom. I now realize I can't copy from the kobo book. I got Calibre to help me out. I should say I do not have a Kobo e-reader. I am just using the desktop app. So, how can I get the book to show up in Calibre. No matter where I search, I can't get it to show up. I can't find the file anywhere on my computer. We are supposed to start tomorrow, and our scanner is on the blink. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
onthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Calibre will not open a DRM book which is like what you have in Kobo. You can do a screen capture of a page at a time on your computer but copying the entire text would be against copyright rules.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo sells their books in two formats. One is their own "Kobo ePub" that you can view on their devices, apps and the desktop application. These can't be viewed in any other way.

The other format is the usual epub. These can be downloaded by clicking the "Adobe ePub" link in your library on the Kobo shop site. Most will have DRM and are downloaded via ADE and you can read them there. Any without DRM will download directly and can be added to calibre.

I think you will find the ePub version will be more practical for what you are doing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
sieuminh
sieuminh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi

I have a similar problem: I don't have eReader and only want to read on my laptop or Kindle. I bought a book from Kobo, downloaded the file in acsm format to my laptop, and tried to use ADE to convert it to ePub and copy it to my Kindle, following the instruction from the Kobo website.

However the ADE screen requires you to specify the book vendor from a given list, and Kobo is not in it!!! The result is that I can't download the book, and can only read it on this particular laptop - using either the Kobo application or ADE - but can't take it on the road!

I feel rather upset by the whole thing, since Kobo should have tested and checked their instruction more carefully. More importantly, I can't read the books outside of the office.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
sieuminh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You must open the ascm file with ADE. It will then download the ePUB.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
convert, copy, desktop, kobo