Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
That's just the kind of "breaking things" I want to avoid, like I mentioned in my previous post! Apparently, the check that is supposed to fall back to the stock fonts when the custom fonts aren't specified isn't working as it is supposed to. Thanks for reporting back!
You could put in the readme that the fonts section of reader.xml is needed to insure things work properly.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #92
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Hello All,

Is Morkl's modified reader working okay with the latest firmware (1.0.04.12210)?

I finally have access to a Windows PC to do the install, but before I do, I thought I'd double-check that it works with 1.0.04.12210.

Thanks!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 04-10-2012 at 09:03 AM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #93
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't know the answer to that as some people seem to have had trouble. However, as far as I know, some (all?) of the official fixes in 1.0.04.12210 are in the Reader app. So if you then reinstall Morkl's custom Reader app on top of it, it's going to wipeout the official fixes. Perhaps, someone can explain what is the point of upgrading the Sony firmware if you then add Morkl's app on top of it? So far, I haven't bothered upgrading (but it doesn't necessarily mean I'm right). I was hoping Morkl would bring out a new release compatible with 1.0.04.12210, but it's looking less likely as time goes on. What a pity...

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-10-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typos
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #94
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
I upgraded to 1.0.04.12210 because of the dictionary opening on almost every page swipe. I would dearly love to have the home screen show last read instead of last added if a compatible release is done. Font options would be nice but secondary.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #95
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
If it helps, I have 1.0.04.12210 installed on a rooted T1 and Morkl's Home and Reader mods installed. I don't have any issues beyond the very seldom double page turn, and I doubt it's due to the mods.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #96
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
If it helps, I have 1.0.04.12210 installed on a rooted T1 and Morkl's Home and Reader mods installed. I don't have any issues beyond the very seldom double page turn, and I doubt it's due to the mods.
I don't want/plan to root so am hoping for a new release of the hack for nonrooted.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #97
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I've got the same setup, and once had a problem where swiping to turn a page triggered dictionary look-ups. Going to the home screen and then back to the book fixed that on that occassion.

I also see somewhat frequent double page turns when using the buttons - enough that I've switched to using a swipe to turn pages.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #98
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have an unrooted T1 with 1.0.04.12210 and was going to use Morkl's installer for unrooted devices. But now I'm wondering if I should root instead.

Part of me thinks it's better to keep things simple and not root. But another part of me is thinking if I rooted I could try other readers, like FBreader and CoolReader. Any thoughts on those vs. Morkl's modified ereader app?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #99
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
But another part of me is thinking if I rooted I could try other readers, like FBreader and CoolReader. Any thoughts on those vs. Morkl's modified ereader app?
I've tried those briefly, but they don't seem anywhere near as polished as the default Sony reader app. I'm afraid that's not a detailed comparison, but for just wanting to sit down and read I'm more than happy with the Sony-based reader app let alone Morkl's modified reader app.

Rooting is useful if you want to tinker (and I do!), but in all honesty having rooted my reader the day I got it, doing that hasn't added any real value. Note that I haven't tried to install Morkl's home and reader apps via the non-root installer, but if they work and you just want to read, I'd see no overwhelming reason to root your reader.

On the other hand just because your reader is rooted doesn't mean you can't use it essentially like a non-rooted reader...

Have I helped you at all with this reply?

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The two T1s here have the firmware that goes with the modified reader app. They both are working OK. I don't see a need to update. But if Morkl was to bring out the new reader app, I would upgrade. But for now since things work, no need to update.

As for bringing up the dictionary, I think its how you swipe. I can do so on my 650. Not often though. So try to figure out what it is you are doing/how you are swiping.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #101
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Thanks Simon! Yes, that's quite helpful, actually. I'm quite happy with the default Sony app. What tempts me with Morkl's modified reader are, of course, the fonts and font-size options. (Also, can you add custom css, and if so, how? That's not clear to me.)

But I'm a big chicken when it comes to messing with firmware. Every time I start reading threads about rooting and tinkering, most of it goes over my head, plus it generally requires a PC which is foreign territory for me, so I freak out.

Maybe I'll wait a little while and see if Morkl posts an update, just to be make extra sure everything works if I attempt this ...
Old 04-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #102
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
What tempts me with Morkl's modified reader are, of course, the fonts and font-size options. (Also, can you add custom css, and if so, how? That's not clear to me.)
Look at this post for using custom CSS with Morkl's reader.

Quote:
But I'm a big chicken when it comes to messing with firmware. Every time I start reading threads about rooting and tinkering, most of it goes over my head, plus it generally requires a PC which is foreign territory for me, so I freak out.

Maybe I'll wait a little while and see if Morkl posts an update, just to be make extra sure everything works if I attempt this ...
Unfortunately we haven't heard from Morkl in a while. Although if you're PC-phobic I understand your reluctance to tinker.

If you're happy editing epubs though, this post might be a usable user CSS workaround.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #103
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Look at this post for using custom CSS with Morkl's reader.
Thanks! I saw this post earlier and didn't understand how it applied to Morkl's ereader app. But looking at it more closely, do I understand correctly that if I create a custom CSS stylesheet and place it in a folder called "css," then place the "css" folder in the root directory of my T1, Morkl's ereader app will automatically use it? Is it really that simple?

Last edited by pssquirrel; 08-29-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #104
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
Thanks! I saw this post earlier and didn't understand how it applied to Morkl's ereader app. But looking at it more closely, do I understand correctly that if I create a custom CSS stylesheet and place it in a folder called "css," then place the "css" folder in the root directory of my T1, Morkl's ereader app will automatically use it? Is it really that simple?
Exactly! I think the filename has to be style.css but that's essentially it.

Re-reading and just to clarify - it's the root directory of the SD card, not the root directory of the T1 itself. IE, in the top of the drive that attaches as a 1.4GB disk when you plug in to a computer.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #105
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Is it really that simple?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Exactly!
Oh, wow, thanks!

P.S. Tried giving you a little more karma, but it says I have to spread it around first before I can give you more :-)

Tags
css, fonts