Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
General question about tablet computers

If you buy an app for your tablet computer and then replace it with another model made by the same company, do you need to buy the same app all over again? In other words, can an app be transferred from a device to another?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Generally yes, but depends on app store and device. i.e. you can't transfer an iPad app to an Android device or vice versa.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Apps from the Google Play store, Amazon Appstore for Android and iTunes app store for iThings are assigned to the account, not the device. There are some Fire specific apps in the Amazon store that probably wouldn't be downloadable to another device brand (they're labeled as for the Fire). The same for Nook tablet devices except only Nook devices work with that store. There are other Android app stores out there and although I assume they work the same way I have no real experience with them. Don't know anything about the app stores for other OS's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
As kenny mentioned, you need to be aware of the operating system (OS). Doesn't Asus make both Android and Windows tablets? Same manufacturer but apps won't transfer.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
As kenny mentioned, you need to be aware of the operating system (OS). Doesn't Asus make both Android and Windows tablets? Same manufacturer but apps won't transfer.
Yes, as does Samsung; I have a Samsung phone and Samsung Tab with different versions of Android as well as a Samsung ATIV with Windows 8.

The Tab and the phone can run the same apps which are tied to my account, but the ATIV has to have it's own apps/programs,
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
If you buy an app for your tablet computer and then replace it with another model made by the same company, do you need to buy the same app all over again? In other words, can an app be transferred from a device to another?
The short answer is that your apps are tied to your account.

If you have an Apple ID, any apps you buy with that ID can me installed on any Apple iOS device that is linked with that account.

Android apps are tied to a Google Account and can be installed on any compatible Android device that is linked to that account.

I don't know how Windows or any other tablet operating systems work, but I would expect it to be similar if they want you to commit to their systems (and to upgrade your devices as frequently as possible. )

edited after I read the posts that appeared while I was typing: I forgot about the Amazon Appstore. I suppose the short answer is actually that you apps are tied to the ID that you have associated with whatever app store you are using on your device. They are account-specific, not device-specific.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 01-25-2013 at 05:32 PM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote