Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-15-2021, 12:03 AM   #1
steve1977
steve1977 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Embedding metadata into epub files

First of all, I am new to the forum. Big thanks to the development of Calibre. I have been an active user and really love it. It's an excellent tool, which I use for tagging.

My ebooks (largely epub, some pdf) are all tagged using Calibre. I use the goodreads plugin and my metadata is complete.

I only use Calibre for metadata scraping, but a different tool to serve the ebooks via opdf to my IOS devices. That's my preferred workflow.

I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to embed the metadata within the epub file rather than in a separate opf file (or both)? I did quite some googling and it seems that the "Polish books" plugin is supposed to do so? I installed this, but doesn't seem to work (getting an error message that epub not supported). Any thoughts how I can embed the metadata within an epub file?

2) It seems that Calibre uses a a custom tag for series (<meta content="xxx" name="calibre:series"/>). This does not seem to be the official tag per epub specification (should be "belongs-to-collection"). Is there a way to add the epub tag "belongs-to-collection". This will be better supported as it is in line with official specification.

3) I'd like to change the "title" tag to combine "calibre:series" and "calibre:series_index" (i.e., Title tag reads "series name [series number]". Is there a way for me to create / override this tag and embed it in the epub file?
steve1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:28 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) Preferences->Toolbars->add the embed metadata tool

2) EPUB 2 has no series metadata. For EPUB 3 calibre does use spec compliant series metadata

3) Preferemces->Metadata plugboards-> create a plugboard for the content server and get your books on your device via the content server
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2021, 03:49 AM   #3
steve1977

Thanks for your quick reply.

Are you saying that I am using epub 2? If so, can I convert all my ebooks automatically to epub 3?

Is there a way not to do #3 via the content server, but create a revised tag that is embedded within the epub 3 format.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:22 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The polish books tool has an option to auto-convert to epub 3. And no, the embed metadata tool will embed the same metadata as is in calibre into the file.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
steve1977

When using the plugin on an ebook, I get the message "calibre, version 5.21.0
ERROR: Cannot polish: Polishing is only supported for books in the AZW3 or EPUB formats. Convert to one of those formats before polishing".
Advert
Old 06-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1977 View Post
When using the plugin on an ebook, I get the message "calibre, version 5.21.0
ERROR: Cannot polish: Polishing is only supported for books in the AZW3 or EPUB formats. Convert to one of those formats before polishing".
I would say that the error message is pretty self-explanatory. If your ebooks are not in EPUB or AZW3 format, convert them to one of those two formats before polishing.

If you think the file is already in epub for example, you might want to try opening it in calibre's editor and error checking it. I'd recommend installing the epubcheck plugin for the editor and use it instead of the builtin error check. Another choice might be to do an epub to epub conversion which will often clear up many errors.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Also Calibre can not polish DRM infested books. You need to be sure they are clear.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #8
steve1977

Thanks for your help. I got the issue now. Somehow, Calibre does not longer see my books (at least not most of them). I may have changed the folder or something? It's very odd though as the covers are shown and I can see the metadata. Also when I click "Path - click to open", I am brought to the right folder with the epub inside. Any ideas?

calibre, version 5.21.0
ERROR: Cannot view: xxx has no available formats.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #9
steve1977

When I try to open the book, I get the error message "has no available formats". There is a epub file though in the folder (and I can open it manually with the viewer).
Old 06-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use the library maintenance tool
Old 06-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #11
steve1977

I just did and no errors were found. Any other idea?
Old 06-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #12
steve1977

Oh no :-( Now Calibre deleted by books...

I ran the libary tool and selected "delete extra book formats". And now the epub files are all gone and no trace of my ebooks left (except the jpg and opf files). Also nothing in my trash.

Can this be undone or the ebooks otherwise recovered?
Old 06-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you tell it to delete the extra books, it will do just that. And no there is no way to recover if you dont have a backup of your library.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #14
steve1977

Ok... That's a pity. I still have the ofp files though, so I hope I don't need to rescrape the metadata? I just copy the ebook file back into the folder?
Old 06-18-2021, 11:26 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1977 View Post
Ok... That's a pity. I still have the ofp files though, so I hope I don't need to rescrape the metadata? I just copy the ebook file back into the folder?
NO! Never touch the contents of a folder EXCEPT by using Calibre. Calibre logs all files it deals with.
That is probably what got you in this mess to begin with.

OTOH since you DO have your metadata set (as you wanted):
Open the metadata editor: Drop the (correct) file into the FORMATS section and move on to the next.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote