Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #46
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not sure I like the 7 inch screen... one more type of screen that content needs formating for... sure ePub with reflow will prob work but what will happen if you want to read comics on it or a magazine?

And 3G connectivity might not work outside US and possible UK (if they sell it there too) and the library thing wont work at all.

So what will a Swede like me do?

However I like that Sony seems to put some money and work into the ereader market.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #47
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK, I don't think EVERY Sony owner can check out ebooks from the NYPL. You have to have a library card. The NYPL is the first one that will be linked into the "Library Finder" feature. It looks like most libraries serviced by Overdrive will be linked into it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #48
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
OK, I don't think EVER Sony owner can check out ebooks from the NYPL. You have to have a library card. The NYPL is the first one that will be linked into the "Library Finder" feature. It looks like most libraries serviced by Overdrive will be linked into it.

BOb
ah, if you're right, that's disappointing, although not that suprising i guess.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
And 3G connectivity might not work outside US and possible UK (if they sell it there too) and the library thing wont work at all.

So what will a Swede like me do?
There is a Sony event scheduled in the UK (London) for tomorrow. Perhaps some of those questions will be answered.

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #50
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
When you see all 3 readers next to each other, it's pretty clear that the Daily doesn't have a 7" diagonal screen. I think when they 7" wide, they actually mean 7" wide when put in landscape mode.

EDIT: Some quick back of the envelope calculations with Photoshop show that the diagonal on the Daily's screen is about 7.7". That's assuming that the side-by-side shots are fairly accurate representations.

Last edited by Abecedary; 08-25-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #51
Be Szpilman
Fetch that LRF
Be Szpilman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Treo 650
I'm getting convinced.. I think Sony is pushing in the right direction, if you'll forgive the pun.

Still, can't say I'm happy with the US-centered focus.
Well, at least it gives Sony a means to beat Amazon in american soils, then go on rampaging worldwide.
Be Szpilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #52
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
NYPL access is interesting - do Canadians get it too? Also, they said all Sony Readers - so does this back-port to the 505? What about the 500? When is the new software going to be available?

Yes I have lots of questions
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #53
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Engadget has some more pics up. The AR definitely does lean towards the tall 'n skinny side--it's not just the angle of the shots.
Yep, with clear, straight-on shots, it's definitely tall 'n skinny. I graciously concede the point.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #54
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzpilman View Post
I'm getting convinced.. I think Sony is pushing in the right direction, if you'll forgive the pun.
This does seem to blow out of the water all of the "Sony is getting out of the eBook" FUD people in that "other" thread.

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #55
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This does seem to blow out of the water all of the "Sony is getting out of the eBook" FUD people in that "other" thread.

BOb
No Bob, let's not be hasty. I still think that Sony may be planning to leave the eBook market...
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #56
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yep, with clear, straight-on shots, it's definitely tall 'n skinny. I graciously concede the point.
There's a first :-P

Here's hoping that tomorrow's UK announcement will be availability in the UK. I really wanna see one of these up close and personal like.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #57
Labib Rahman
Enthusiast
Labib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PSP and an age old Dell Inspiron 1150
Someone mentioned a 300 dollar price point. I really don't think that's possible given that the Reader Touch Edition is going at 300 dollars now.
Labib Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #58
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
No Bob, let's not be hasty. I still think that Sony may be planning to leave the eBook market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labib Rahman View Post
Someone mentioned a 300 dollar price point. I really don't think that's possible given that the Reader Touch Edition is going at 300 dollars now.
i suspect it will be closer to 400$
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labib Rahman View Post
I mentioned it was a mis print on Engadget's site. The Reader Daily Edition is going to retail at $399.

BOb
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #60
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
From the PR:
Quote:
In portrait mode, about 30-35 lines of text are visible, making the experience very similar to that of a printed paperback book. A high contrast ratio with 16 levels of grayscale ensures that text and images are crisp and easy to read. The Daily Edition also boasts an attractive aluminum body with an integrated cover for durability.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote