Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Kittenish
Kittenish began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb Aussie guide to getting a Kindle DX

First off, I tried to find out the forum rules in regards to posting but couldn’t find a thread... So if links to specific sites is not allowed, then I apologise.

To all you Aussies wanting to get your hands on a Kindle DX (or any US product) but don’t know how, bar getting friendly with someone from the US... Here’s what I’ve come up with... or a starting point at least.

1.Register with www.bongous.com (or similar) for your US mailing address. Services also provided are Personal Shopper (if you require use of a US credit card) and forwarding to your home address (of course).

2.Register a US account with www.amazon.com using the US mailing address.

3.Purchase your Kindle DX, ship it to your US mailing address and then have it forwarded to YOU!

For a Kindle DX + Leather cover + S&H = approx AU$730

Shipping to Australia from bongous.com = approx AU$182

(Please note these are estimates and are in no way exact amounts)

These calculations are done with current conversion rates at www.xe.com

Execute at your own risk. I take no responsibility if it doesn’t go as planned. You should be researching yourself before spending this amount of money on anything.

As the title says this is a Guide.
Kittenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Mario2009
Mario2009 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kittenish..Thanks for the guide. I am in Australia and I am also very interested in getting my hands on the Kindle DX.

The main purpose would be to place all my pdf articles and notes on it. I have a few questions about that for anyone

1. Would it be a simple matter of just emailing amazon the articles and they sending the converted docs to my account or my being in Australia could somehow hamper that process?

2. Thus the device support hyperlinks? Many of my papers have hyperlinks to other articles, etc and so this functionality would be important.

Thanks.
Mario
Mario2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
jbernaldo10375
jbernaldo10375 began at the beginning.

Device: Looking
I don't understand why you're planning to spend so much money on a device that has limited functionality in your country.

Amazon refuses to sell it to you and you won't get a warranty. I expect Amazon is aware of sites like bogous and won't ship to them anyway.

What if you buy a kindle and its faulty? What if its damaged while in transit or you pay up and it just doesn't arrive? Kindles are designed for downloading content from Amazon, which you can't purchase outside America anyway.

Why don't you buy a cybook or irex or hanlin?
jbernaldo10375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernaldo10375 View Post
Why don't you buy a cybook or irex or hanlin?
Size, price and/or the PDF support.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote