Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
The stuff I don't know about using my reader

I have had a Sony PRS-650 for a couple of months. I really like it but there is a heap of things I don't know about it. I use Sony Library software but that is about it. I don't know anything about how I would use the Adobe Digital Editions software or Calibre etc.. I would love to know how these things are different and the same and the advantages. I am in Australia and I usually buy books for A&R and Borders (with a very limited range and at inflated prices). I know there are geographical restrictions but I don't quite understand where the line is between legal and not legal and why it has to be so complicated. It would be great if someone can point me in the direction of some basic information to help me get my head around some of the known and unknown unknowns... please.
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Here is where you can download Calibre:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

You can click on the help section to start off with some tutorials, and you can download the program for free in the download section.

Hopefully someone from Australia will pop in soon, I really don't know about Australia's geo-restrictions.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
you don't need to install Adobe Digital Editions in order to use ADE books. I download mine to the Sony Library and it works fine.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

cheers, for calibre link.

doreenjoy, i currently do the same, but i was thinking if it would be better to use more generic software, cos down the track I might have several devices, some non-sony. but I just don't know if that is a problem anyway.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Roasters:

Many Australian public library systems are offering downloadable books these days that are Sony compatible.

Sea
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
DarkRoast
Enthusiast

Hi Sea. Yeh, I called my library. They are just about to launch into a project to investigate the merits of ebooks for their library. They suggested it might be 6 months away from any kind of decision. The interesting thing was they said they would be considering the various ebook formats as part of it. I thought ePub was pretty much standard for libraries but apparently they didn't think that.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what I gather, most library books are Epub, followed by PDF formatted; some also offer mobi books (that Kindles can use with a valid PID#). The books are DRM-protected, so you'd need Adobe to download and transfer them to your device.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I hope your library launches the ebooks program soon.

The libraries in the USA that I've used have different formats, but the new books they are adding are almost all in EPUB.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
sailorV
sailorV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Darkroast,I also have had my PRS-650 about two months & am still finding my way.I have joined two libraries.One is Redlands City Council & the other is Brisbane City Council and they are both great to use.The one in Brisbane is affiliated with a library in Victoria so I get two goes at the database.I don't know where in Oz you are located but if you can get into a municipal library I would go for it.You can "borrow" books for 7,14 or 21 days and you don't have to remember to return them as they are deleted automatically.Cheers.
sailorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Welcome to the site, sailorV!
Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
HarmonS
Enthusiast
HarmonS began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRoast View Post
cheers, for calibre link.

doreenjoy, i currently do the same, but i was thinking if it would be better to use more generic software, cos down the track I might have several devices, some non-sony. but I just don't know if that is a problem anyway.
Calibre works for all readers, not just Sony.
HarmonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
DarkRoast, I am glad you are enjoying your 650! When you download calibre, it also comes with a short user guide. Although I also recommend the tutorials on the calibre website that Latinandgreek pointed you too. There is a whole section of MobileRead dedicated to discussing calibre. If you have any questions, then it is a good place to seek help.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Geographic restrictions are complicated and frustrating! Especially when you can buy the same book in paper but not digital. Here's a good article which explains more.
http://ebookreadersresource.com/eboo...c-restriction/
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #13
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
I've heard of people using the B&N store to buy things overseas on their Nooks by using a VPN and registering a US mailing address in their account. I've seen little info about this for the Sony. Has anyone heard of the same thing with their Sony devices.. I'm waiting for a prs-950 to be shipped at the mo and this info would really come in handy.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
It's not really a Sony thing. Regardless of device, you'll want to have a US address and most likely a VPN also if you want to get around geo-restrictions at most online bookstores. I won't post instructions for using a VPN because it differs depending on the VPN service you use, but it's generally fairly straightforward, albeit a bit cumbersome too.

DarkRoast, it's generally a pain in the backend, purchasing ebooks from Australia. The people here have already given you some great resources, but if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask them too. Two suggestions I can make right now:

1) Search for a nearby library on Overdrive. See if there are any libraries nearby that have an ebook collection. It's possible with many of these libraries to create a membership even if you don't live inside their council boundaries, as long as you can actually go to a branch.

2) Try KoboBooks. Seriously. I think they might actually share much of their catalogue with Borders AU, and if you subscribe to their newsletter, they regularly send out nice coupons, such as a 50% off one recently. Their selection and pricing of local ebook content by I believe is even better than Amazon's Kindle Store, which is commonly said to have the largest range and cheapest prices of ebooks overall. Either way, this might not matter much to you depending on your reading interests.

Unfortunately, with many online bookstores, the prices are outrageous if you're looking at books by Australian authors. For some reason, booksellers / local publishers seem to think still that $20-32 AUD is a reasonable price for a new release ebook. (My response is merely 'screw 'em' until they're no longer new release. It was funny watching Howard's 'Lazarus Rising' drop down from $34.95 to $19.95 AUD within a few weeks.) Ebooks by overseas authors are not always, but often enough, cheaper and in the price range of $5-16 AUD. The former situation is possibly why you're seeing inflated prices at Borders AU and A&R.

Last edited by viviena; 12-19-2010 at 06:24 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Don't forget that the Philadelphia Free Library is $15USD, and you can join.d
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote