Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Happy Paperwhite owner!

I just got my Paperwhite! I was waiting patiently by the door. He usually gets here earlier but was running late.

First impressions. Wow it's so much heavier than my K4 and feels more heavier than my K3. I think it because it's so compact while the K3 is elongated. Compared to the K4 it's much thicker and hefty feeling. Compared to my KFv1 it's very light.

Warning: When you first turn the PW on for the first time the light will be all the way up. Still seeing spots here. It wont let you turn it down till after the setup and tutorial. Way too bright! I found 10 acceptable at first but now have it at 8.

The first thing I did was look for discoloration. I see none. Yay! I then took it into my closet of a bathroom that has no windows and turn out the lights. I was really happy with how nice it looked in the dark. Next I checked for specks and not a one.

I then had to play with the font settings. I am disappointed with how Baskerville and Palatino render on the PW. I was looking forward to trying them out. I love Palatino but on the PW it looks smooshed I do like Futura and it renders nicely. The fonts are not even close to being black like my K4B or K3. They remind me of my K4S but a tad lighter. However the light on the PW makes up for it so it seems to balance it out.

This is my first Touch eInk eReader so I was happy to find out the keyboard has autocorrect! I don't remember reading about it. It's also has a nice response time and easy to use compare to my tablets. I like it!

My only issue is not all my PDocs are showing in the cloud. Anyone else have this problem? When I went to download the latest one sent it wasn't there. I had to send it from the MYK page. I'll keep and eye on it.

I was a little worried about the new ad page but a tap at the bottom brings it back to my book. So it's not really an issue.

I also bought the Kindle Leather cover in Black for the PW. I got it for 40% off! It's a really nice cover. Adds a little bit of weight but the auto sleep feature makes it worth it. No more having to fight with the little button like I do on my K4B to wake it up. I love the outside texture on the cover. It makes it nice to hold. It took some pressure to snap the PW in place but it fits snugly. I don't think I will be reading the PW without it anytime soon.

All in all so far I am very happy. I have not went to my Favorite reading spot and tried to read yet but I can say after all the issues and threads I am happy I got one that has a good screen.

I will mention with my eyes when I turn on the PW I see pink shadowing that moves down the page. It goes away after awhile. I know this is my eyes and not the reader as it's moving. I don't think my eyes know what to make of a front lit type light. It's use to LCD. I am really sensitive to light so this is my only concern. I think my eyes will eventually adjust. I hope.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
It sounds like you got a good one, Blossom! Enjoy!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes, glad to hear you got a good one!

Wait til you take it outdoors at sunset....mine turns pink LOL. And that's with no direct rays on it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, glad to hear you got a good one!

Wait til you take it outdoors at sunset....mine turns pink LOL. And that's with no direct rays on it.
Thanks! The only places my Kindles go is when we visit the in laws. Last time I took the K3 with me. I have 5 Kindles now. I don't need that many!

Last edited by Blossom; 01-02-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Yay so happy for you, Blossom! Enjoy it!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
Yay! Glad you got a good paperwhite. I did notice the little bit more weight too compared to my K3, but it seems more sturdy too. I have my K3 in an medge case that holds the illuminator light so it makes that kindle a lot bigger. My paperwhite is in the amazon slim cover in fuschia. it is sooo much smaller! I can even slip it into my small purse with space left over. Love it!
As to the font I have been using Palatino on size 3. It does seem a little lighter, but very readable to me. Well have fun with your new paperwhite!
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Glad that you like it Blossom. I go back and fourth between the K4B and the PW. I enjoy the tactile feel of the button pushing and the lightness of the K4, but I also like the improved resolution and fonts on the PW.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Congrats Blossom! I'm glad you like it! Happy reading.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
That's awesome, Blossom! I'll be getting my PW in exactly a week with the Amazon cover. Can't wait. Doing things like resizing calibre book covers to the same size so they'd show up the same in the PW lol.

I don't know how I'm gonna survive the week.
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I just read my first book on it. Turn out to be 5 star one too. What luck! The first book of the year on my new PW and it was a really good book. So now I am in love with my new Kindle! I just read on it tonight for 8 hours! No eye issues, no color issues and I read from my favorite spot without the drowsy effect I get from my K4B.

What I love the most is the touch part. I never realized how much faster I could read on a Kindle without page buttons.

The cover is really nice. I don't even need to hold the Kindle to read. I can see it fine far away because of the light so it sat on my knee all night while I read. I will never miss page buttons again.

One thing I was most pleasantly surprise is how little it accumulates fingerprints compared to my tablets.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
That's awesome, Blossom! I'll be getting my PW in exactly a week with the Amazon cover. Can't wait. Doing things like resizing calibre book covers to the same size so they'd show up the same in the PW lol.

I don't know how I'm gonna survive the week.
The PW is awesome! I don't have any complaints. I think my other Kindles are going to be sadly neglected.

I don't have a cover problem but I only use pdocs to read from. Being dyslexic I have to tweak a book before I can read it comfortably so it goes into Calibre and then I email it to my Kindle.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Glad that you like it Blossom. I go back and fourth between the K4B and the PW. I enjoy the tactile feel of the button pushing and the lightness of the K4, but I also like the improved resolution and fonts on the PW.
After using the PW I can't see going back to use plain eInk again. Maybe if I was outdoors that would be the only scenario I can think of. Yes I do wish it was lighter but my Kindle Fire is way heavier and I read on it nightly so I can get use to this.

I love how the PW cover feels like a book. Amazon did a really nice job.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool PaperWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I was most pleasantly surprise is how little it accumulates fingerprints compared to my tablets.
I've been using a stylus.

Hey Blossom, I got my PaperWhite today too! Read 75% of 2nd Shift: Order on it today, going to bed now and will finish it tomorrow.

That 1st post was a real nice one. Go Girl!!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Blossom, that sounds like you are really happy with it. You might want to try turn the light down even more - the pinkish aliens and how they float and disappear sounds an aweful lot like snow-blindness. The frontlight is a little bit weird - it looks exactly as if it was lit from the front (no pun intended), but from farther away. It is impossible to be frontlit like this with a lamp. There is no shadows, when you move the PW the light doesn't change. On a tablet if you move even a tiny bit, you can see that as the glass is so reflective. Maybe your brain will catch up with that magic. Be thankful the PW does not have glass on top of the screen - or it would be finger print galore.

Best part that I like is the roughness of the screen. I don't agree with Amazon that it feels like paper, but it is nice to touch something else than mirror smooth tablets
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #15
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've been using a stylus.

Hey Blossom, I got my PaperWhite today too! Read 75% of 2nd Shift: Order on it today, going to bed now and will finish it tomorrow.

That 1st post was a real nice one. Go Girl!!

Congrats on your brand spanking new PW. As much as you read, you need to stay close to an outlet to continue reading while charging.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote