Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #91
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Isn't it the purpose of GPL to enable the user to exercise his freedoms, specifically, the freedom to make modified versions of a program? If the user is not given a way to install his own (modified) versions of the program, or if he is no longer allowed to (!), he has no way of exercising his freedom to run modified versions of the program.

Deeming jailbreaking/rooting illegal (unless it is done with permission from the vendor) kinda makes the whole thing incompatible with GPL if you ask me.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #92
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
Isn't it the purpose of GPL to enable the user to exercise his freedoms, specifically, the freedom to make modified versions of a program? If the user is not given a way to install his own (modified) versions of the program, or if he is no longer allowed to (!), he has no way of exercising his freedom to run modified versions of the program.

Deeming jailbreaking/rooting illegal (unless it is done with permission from the vendor) kinda makes the whole thing incompatible with GPL if you ask me.
Yeah. That's kind of what I was thinking. I don't know how you could have such a rule with GPL'd software. qlob pointed out that the Kindle Fire software isn't all open sourced, but I thought the only closed source thing was the launcher.

I guess another big question would be, would Amazon go hard on this rule? They didn't seem to care about rooting before the Librarian made the first ruling about jailbreaking, so I'm wondering if it would matter now.

Last edited by bhartman36; 10-28-2012 at 02:51 PM.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #93
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
They can make all the rules like this that they want, the plain simple matter is that all of them are unenforceble. So don't get upset or worry about it, just do what you want with YOUR personal bought and OWNED gear/ebooks/music.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #94
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
You need to read this the US copyright office says that if you buy it you own it and should have the right to do what you wish.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10...ma_exemptions/
Unless it's a tablet -- whatever that is. I think this could go either way. A court could say the LoC did not define a tablet, therefore no laws apply, or the court could apply its own definition -- which could be very broad -- and prosecute jailbreaking.

Last edited by wizwor; 10-28-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: gremlins ate my post
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #95
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Unless it's a tablet -- whatever that is. I think this could go either way. A could could say the LoC did not define a tablet, there no laws apply, or the court could apply its own definition -- which could be very broad -- and prosecute jailbreaking.
Reading the document, one of the things that struck me is that the people who didn't want the exception (the rights holders, I assume) argued that an exception wasn't needed because it was already covered under the previous exception. Do you think that argument has legs?
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #96
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You are morally right, but they are legally right I'm afraid. That's how the system is. In any case I hope citizens can now tell the difference between legal and moral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
They can make all the rules like this that they want, the plain simple matter is that all of them are unenforceble. So don't get upset or worry about it, just do what you want with YOUR personal bought and OWNED gear/ebooks/music.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #97
Binko
Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Binko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A ruling like this really drives home the degree to which government officials who should be working for the public good are really just part of the corporate power structure.
Binko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #98
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
All I got to say is this is just bullsh*t.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #99
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Reading the document, one of the things that struck me is that the people who didn't want the exception (the rights holders, I assume) argued that an exception wasn't needed because it was already covered under the previous exception. Do you think that argument has legs?
I would say no. Otherwise they would simply take someone to court. They are looking for less ambiguity. Remember that these rules only apply for three years. I'll have all my DVDs converted by 12/31 and won't buy more until they reinstate the exception for personal use. that's my statement.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #100
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
(Generally) unenforceable laws are still a problem because they enable selective enforcement. Selective enforcement is an excellent tool of control.

Let's say almost everyone is guilty of violating some dozen (often obscure) laws/codes/rules that can't be uniformly enforced. Let's say I'm a prosecutor or corporate giant or the MPAA. You piss me off for some reason. It may be unrelated to the laws. I'll choose to prosecute or sue you even though I don't have the resources to sue everyone.

Those laws are useful little tools for destroying meddlesome opponents and for producing a chilling effect on the rest. Yeah, these rules matter.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #101
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
You are morally right, but they are legally right I'm afraid. That's how the system is. In any case I hope citizens can now tell the difference between legal and moral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
(Generally) unenforceable laws are still a problem because they enable selective enforcement. Selective enforcement is an excellent tool of control.

Let's say almost everyone is guilty of violating some dozen (often obscure) laws/codes/rules that can't be uniformly enforced. Let's say I'm a prosecutor or corporate giant or the MPAA. You piss me off for some reason. It may be unrelated to the laws. I'll choose to prosecute or sue you even though I don't have the resources to sue everyone.

Those laws are useful little tools for destroying meddlesome opponents and for producing a chilling effect on the rest. Yeah, these rules matter.
While both of you are correct, unless someone is stupid enough to flagrantly break the rules and boast about it, the odds of getting busted are very slim.

For the most part what someone does in the privacy of their home is between them and whatever diety they believe in.

Most of the "public" cases we have heard about could have been prevented had they used an ounce of common sense, and the rest was simple greed and flaunting it. They deserve whatever they get.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #102
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Probably. One should indeed expect the diety to punish greed.

(Sorry. Had to.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #103
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
While both of you are correct, unless someone is stupid enough to flagrantly break the rules and boast about it, the odds of getting busted are very slim.
People boast about it all the time on this board, and their odds of getting caught are still, historically, zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
My first thought was that selective enforcement stinks as a tool of control. However, on second thought, people who read a lot of books may be more risk-adverse than the general population. There's only one way to know -- putting a few middle class readers in the slammer -- and I'm not advocating it.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #104
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
That decision is utter bullshit.

I hope mobilereads takes a stance here and continues to host the rooting/jailbreaking subforums. Move the servers, if necessary.
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #105
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The name JAILBREAKING should give folks an idea that it IS ILLEGAL!

I wish the goverment would work on removing Porn & How to Make a Bomb web sites & books than to worry IF some one it changing software on an ereader... Cause really which is more dangerous
None of these things would make the world a safer or better place. Removing adult porn in particular is one of the most futile, stupid and nonsensical things to try for any government.

Sexuality is a central aspect of the human condition, censoring it has never and will never change that fundamental fact in the slightest.
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote