Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
zaphod1234
zaphod1234 began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
Kindle 3

Greetings,

So with Amazon releasing the Kindle 3 yesterday at a cost of ~ $140 for the WiFi version, what are the thoughts from the JB/JBL community. I love my JB, but at that price point it would be tough to recommend opting for the Kindle. I guess competition is a good thing.

Joseph
zaphod1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Kindle still doesn't have many features JB has:
- easily transfer and store my own content (in formats like TXT, HTML, RTF, PDF, ePub)
- read multiple formats on one device, ie. be fairly independent from content provider
- be extremely portable, or rather "pocketable". 6" is not really "pocketable", 5" could be.
- have several bilingual dictionaries included in the price
- read content from external memory (SD card)

Having JB, I don't feel a pressing urge to buy 6" Kindle. However, I might consider buying a DX, as this format is much better for technical / academic books. But I am still waiting for the tablets / pads that Asus is going to introduce in the near future. It seems they will be much more versatile than Kindle.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Does the new Kindle still have internet access through the 3G? Or did Amazon go the route of B&N with WiFi only?

Edit: Never mind I found it. It still allows 3G internet access!

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 07-30-2010 at 12:05 PM.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Given the choice my decision is still Jetbook hands down.

But then I don't expect to buy my books over wireless network.
Couple that with it not being that easy to add books except by going through amazon and it really is a no brainer for me. However I can see that for some people it might be a better choice.

I think a lot of it comes down to where you expect to get your books.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod1234 View Post
Greetings,

So with Amazon releasing the Kindle 3 yesterday at a cost of ~ $140 for the WiFi version, what are the thoughts from the JB/JBL community. I love my JB, but at that price point it would be tough to recommend opting for the Kindle. I guess competition is a good thing.

Joseph
What others have said.

Also, wifi on your ebook reader just so you could download directly from a website like amazon... speaking as a techie I honestly feel it's a limiting factor to my reading experience. Technical illiterates like things that sound fancy. That's why these mega companies are able to make so much money spoon feeding the uninformed consumers.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Couple that with it not being that easy to add books except by going through amazon and it really is a no brainer for me.
??? Adding books via a USB isn't easy? Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I was momentarily tempted but the lack of format support -- specificaly ePub (DRM and non) -- and the memory of the eInk flash when it refreshes kept the impulse buy at bay. Plus I find the keyboard a waste of real estate. But... if this came out when I was first shopping for a reader I probably would have gone for the K3 over the jetBook.

If there was the ability to host my own server and pull my own books off of my local archive via WiFi they'd have me switching. AFAIK this doesn't exist and I'm guessing its hard wired to call Amazon only. Are you listening Ectaco?
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Given the choice my decision is still Jetbook hands down.

But then I don't expect to buy my books over wireless network.
Couple that with it not being that easy to add books except by going through amazon and it really is a no brainer for me. However I can see that for some people it might be a better choice.

I think a lot of it comes down to where you expect to get your books.

I'm not sure if it works on K2 & 3 but K1 had the ability to go to public domain sources and download books straight from them over the 3G internet. (manybooks.net, gutenberg.org, etc)

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 07-30-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There's a lot of disinformation in this thread. And how is the presence of wifi a limiting factor to your reading experience?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
I like the JBL better than Kindle for a host of reasons. The only reasons that I would consider the Kindle, even at this price, is the large supply of books available without having to convert.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
MR. Pockets
Addict

As an ereader, I have to say that (other than the smaller screen, which is not necessarily a bad thing) the jetBook/Libre line of ereaders is better than Kindle. However, as a cool, technologically advanced device, the Kindle wins hands down.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
There's a lot of disinformation in this thread. And how is the presence of wifi a limiting factor to your reading experience?
Disinformation? Like the limited formats supported by the Kindle? As to the presence of wifi being a limiting factor, I have four numbers for you: 1984. I don't think Ectaco could play big brother and remove a book I paid for off my JBL! Fan boys, you gotta love 'em!

The 6" screen is the ONLY thing I see the Kindle could perhaps have over the JB and JBL. However, that too could be up for debate as I doubt a 6" Kindle will fit in my front pocket like my 5" JBL does!
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
MR. Pockets
Addict

How are you supposed to enter numbers on K3? I enter numbers quite frequently on my Libre but K3 has no number keys!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
Fan boys, you gotta love 'em!
I was going to enter into this discussion in a serious manner, but I think I'll pass.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505,JBL,Sony PRS350,Nook Color,Kindle 3
I started the day looking at the new kindle and found the JBL here on the forum after checking it out here and you tube vids I placed my order at JR for $99 I don't see how I can go wrong. I already have an SD card with the latest firmware ready to go

My current reader is a Sony 505. Looking forward to the fast page turns on the JBL. When I learned I could now get Library books like I do on the Sony that closed the deal and sealed the kindles fate for me

Gary
Blusaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, kindle