Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Why I decided to reserve an iPad when I previously had no interest....

I had no intention of getting one initially. I thought it was a big iPod Touch and found it unneccessary. I felt E-Ink reads like paper and that a lit screen would wear my eyes down as I read for a few hours. I was also turned off by the fact that I couldn't read books I purchased on a Sony also on the iPad....I was annoyed if I would have to purchase those books AGAIN, which I had no intention of.

Then I realized, I read a computer screen in the morning reading the Daily News with my coffee and breakfast online. I look at a computer screen all day at work. I then spend an hour or 2 at night on the web. My eyes have never been affected. However when I read my ebook reader at night with a booklight, my eyes do grow a little tired reading the dimmer areas on the bottom of the page. So that was the first part.

After quite a bit of help from some great members here....I freed my books. So it looks like I CAN port them over to the iPad. On top of that, according to some recent articles I've been reading, I will be able to download Kindle and B&N books on it on top of the iBookstore. This opens it up wide for me as if a book isnt available on one, it should be available on another.

Then of course the other features.....Web, video, music, email, word processing, etc.

I'm sold. Now just determining if I should get the 32 or 64 With 64 I can backup AND play all of my photos, video, music, and now book files.....hmmmmm
DougFNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome to the club, Doug!

The brightness and clarity of the screen was the selling point for me from the word go. My eyesight is terrrible, but it has always been easy for me to see the screen of an iPod, even my tiny Nano (while wearing my jewelers' loupe).
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Makes sense to me. I read the iPhone for hours on end with no strain on my eyes. Reading in bed is MUCH better with my iPhone than reading physical books -- so I doubt an eInk reader would be better.

Sure, reading outside in broad daylight -- a book or eInk screen is better than an lcd. But that's not where I do most of my reading.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I do all my web browsing from my eee, I'm using it right now. No problems.
I think the problems associated with computer screens come from a long while ago when all screens were CRT and that most people didn't know how to ajust screen refresh rates.

I will get a 3G 16GB iPad. 16GB is voluntary for me. That's a restriction I'm self imposing in case I lose the iPad or that someone steals it (sorry DGal). I plan to unload content regularly just as with my digital cameras. To compensate for the small memory of this new device, I'll install a wifi server on my network. 64GB is not enough anyway.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
jbone1313
jbone1313 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
@OP: I had the same experience as you. I also have the Sony PRS-600.

From the research I've done, I don't think computer screens can damage your eyes. You can get eye strain from looking in once place for too long, but it doesn't do permanent damage. But, I'm no expert on all that. I also look at a screen for about 12 hours per day, and I don't have any problems with my eyes. Wrists, neck, and back are not quite as fortunate for me though.

jbone1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
conniewilson11
conniewilson11 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I had no intention of getting one initially. I thought it was a big iPod Touch and found it unneccessary. I felt E-Ink reads like paper and that a lit screen would wear my eyes down as I read for a few hours. I was also turned off by the fact that I couldn't read books I purchased on a Sony also on the iPad....I was annoyed if I would have to purchase those books AGAIN, which I had no intention of.

Then I realized, I read a computer screen in the morning reading the Daily News with my coffee and breakfast online. I look at a computer screen all day at work. I then spend an hour or 2 at night on the web. My eyes have never been affected. However when I read my ebook reader at night with a booklight, my eyes do grow a little tired reading the dimmer areas on the bottom of the page. So that was the first part.

After quite a bit of help from some great members here....I freed my books. So it looks like I CAN port them over to the iPad. On top of that, according to some recent articles I've been reading, I will be able to download Kindle and B&N books on it on top of the iBookstore. This opens it up wide for me as if a book isnt available on one, it should be available on another.

Then of course the other features.....Web, video, music, email, word processing, etc.

I'm sold. Now just determining if I should get the 32 or 64 With 64 I can backup AND play all of my photos, video, music, and now book files.....hmmmmm
great justification,
I would recommend the 64GB since you will soon get your memory
full with video n photos n music.
conniewilson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
However when I read my ebook reader at night with a booklight, my eyes do grow a little tired reading the dimmer areas on the bottom of the page. So that was the first part.
I never liked book lights. Just as I can't stand reading my monitor in the dark, I would need at least some ambient light around or it plain hurts my eyes.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #8
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
When reading at night whether it is e-ink or a normal book then you need sufficient lighting and if you don't have it then of course your eyes are going to grow tired, but if they are properly lit then for most people they will be far more comfortable to read than an lcd.

Personally for me, I am not against reading on an lcd, my preference for e-ink or similar mostly comes down to the fact that I already spend at least 8 hours a day using lcd screens so not increasing that with my reading time seems sensible to me, although I expect I'll eventually get a colour tablet of some description so that I can read comics and magazines digitally since the prices of english editions are somewhat extortionate.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
killdanzig
killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.killdanzig could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS-600
wow, sounds like me and the wife are in the minority here.

we both love the e-ink on our sony prs-600.

we are basically going with the ipad 32gb for our comics and graphic novels. since we hardly read more than a couple at a time, we are not worried about the fatigue that we seem to suffer when looking at our monitors.

we are slowly trying to ween ourselves off the dependency of trees as our choice of medium.

we like fresh air more than the physical sensation that a book brings.
killdanzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #10
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I do all my web browsing from my eee, I'm using it right now. No problems.
I think the problems associated with computer screens come from a long while ago when all screens were CRT and that most people didn't know how to ajust screen refresh rates.
I think its wrong to try and discount lcds just because you don't suffer from eyestrain when using one, your point about awareness is a good one though, beyond refresh rates you have other issues like people now knowing they should take regular breaks, change their focus away from the screen etc. too that all go to make the situation a lot better than it used to be.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by killdanzig View Post
wow, sounds like me and the wife are in the minority here.

we are basically going with the ipad 32gb for our comics and graphic novels. since we hardly read more than a couple at a time, we are not worried about the fatigue that we seem to suffer when looking at our monitors.

we are slowly trying to ween ourselves off the dependency of trees as our choice of medium.

we like fresh air more than the physical sensation that a book brings.
While my e-ink of choice is the prs-505 instead, I love my e-ink reader too, it's probably the best money I have spent on a gadget in years and when I eventually get a tablet it will be for other stuff such as magazines and comics rather than to replace my reader.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
I probably wouldn't use it for a backup device for the same reason that I won't use my iPhone as a backup device. If the sync works the same way as the iPhone/Touch, it is one way - computer to device. It's not easy to go the other way.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by killdanzig View Post
I loved my prs-500 up until about 6 months ago when I started finding I need more and more light to comfortably read the screen.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #14
yankgirl
Connoisseur
yankgirl is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, iPad 2, PPP(purple pocket pro) Nook Tablet, K4 & Kindle Fire!
Quote:

First off - HI! to a fellow Jersey person!

I'm 99% sold. I already have a kindle and a pocket pro. I also do some occasional reading on my iPhone. I'm really dying to get it (Mac girl through and through).

I think I'd like to see it hands on first. Does anyone know if the Apple stores have them in yet?
yankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankgirl View Post
I think I'd like to see it hands on first. Does anyone know if the Apple stores have them in yet?
They can't sell them until April 3.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote