Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Nighthawks at the Diner (a new suggested writing thread)

TWITTER

SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS THREAD NOW CLOSED

Okay folks, here's the deal. You pick your favourite Edward Hopper painting (gallery link below), you post back here with that painting and I'm going to tie them all up together in a series of linked short stories.

The working title of this (suggested by Zelda_Pinwheel) is: Nighthawks at the Diner.

Here's the Edward Hopper gallery http://www.interesting.com/artist/Hopper/gallery.html (25 in all)

So have at it, choose your painting, and I'll write them in the order they come (if we get enough suggestions that is)

EDIT: The name of the fictional city where all this takes place is called Hoppersville.

EDIT 2: As per Ralph Sir Edwards suggestion, I'm going for a domino link to the stories - one character from each story will be the 'lead' in the next...

They say it was an artist who gave Hoppersville its name.
Some lonely and forgotten kook hidden away in a loft somewhere waiting
for recognition. He died before that recognition ever came along, but the
paintings remained. Twenty five in all that captured the very nature of
Hoppersville. A stations of the cross for the modern era. And still some
say that those paintings were Hoppersville, that without those
paintings the place and the people wouldn't even exist...

As ever, you will get full credit once the book is released on Feedbooks

Story Listing

1: Nighthawks - Zelda_Pinwheel (COMPLETE)

2: Room in New York (changed to A Room in Hoppersville)- Moe The Cat [COMPLETE]

3: Chop Suey - Ralph Sir Edward
4: House by the Railroad - Evenstr
5: High Noon - montsnmags
6: Office at Night - Wetdogeared
7: Rooms by the Sea - Verencat
8: New York Movie - Dreams
9: The Long Leg - Slite
10: Gas - Ravenlife

Last edited by Moejoe; 09-08-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well, this one seems like a given :

but in case you're running short, i love this one too :

(but i have to admit, the one you first posted is one of my favourites

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Now i wonder if I should let myself go free reign with the stories, set them all in the 40's or should I let Sam Luka take the reigns, seeing as he's from that era

EDIT: Maybe they could all be mystery stories written by Sam Luka?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Now i wonder if I should let myself go free reign with the stories, set them all in the 40's or should I let Sam Luka take the reigns, seeing as he's from that era
well i certainly won't try to stop you.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
How about this one? Title: A Classified Affair

Might fit as a Sam Luka story.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

that's excellent moe. i love that one.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
How about this one? Title: A Classified Affair

Excellent choice I have (one of the very few books I have left) a beautiful Edward Hopper gallery book. This is 2nd in the list Moe The Cat
Old 08-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

i'm excited to read these already.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The Picture "Chop Suey"
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'm excited to read these already.
Me too, and I haven't written them yet, although I do have an opening line in mind if it was Sam Luka doing "Nighthawks"

Quote:
Steinbeck sniffed out the Frankfurters from across the street. Least I thought that's what he was sniffing. Turned out it was murder on the menu at the Nighthawk Diner that midnight.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Me too, and I haven't written them yet, although I do have an opening line in mind if it was Sam Luka doing "Nighthawks"
nice !
Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Maybe they might be linked stories?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The Picture "Chop Suey"
Done, now in at no 3
Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Maybe they might be linked stories?

Yes, that would definitely work. There's 25 in all, so each could lead into the next, new suspects, new locations and such.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Well, I like Nighthawks the best.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote