Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Talking My head just exploded

So after much internal debate I finally took the dive and ordered a DR1000S (Special thanks to Thiss and the MobileRead flea market ). I've been fiddling around with it all day and I think I've developed ADD now. As I open one document I'm already ready to close it to see how another doc looks with it, don't tell my Iliad I think I'm in love.

Working with Irex's new (for me at least) operating system in the DR1000S from the Iliad is like a Hello World experience. The ability to search in PDFs (I could never figure out how to do that in the Iliad if it was possible) as well as the thumbnail views for PDFs is just so huge for me. A lot of the reading that I do is research reports so having thumbnails to quickly jump to financials or any other areas is sweet. The interface is great I think, I'm still getting used to the buttons I personally like buttons that click so its harder to set them off by accident and I keep getting tempted to push the middle button at the bottom as enter when navigating which instead pops up the menu.

Everything so far has went smoothly. I've already loaded it up with docs and I'm trying to concentrate long enough to read a full doc on there instead of my constant "I wonder what this other document looks like on it", hopefully that will subside in the next couple days and I can get some work done with it.

I was planning on checking and I just havent yet but the device is so light it almost feels lighter than the Iliad, it might just be the weight being distributed differently. I'm still trying to figure out how I'll be able to read it on the train, its a very smooth device and I feel like it could slip right out of my hands which I pray doesn't happen. I have the portfolio-style cover (not the flip one) which is a little bulky and adds considerable weight to the device so I need to figure something else out for that, I liked the little bag that my Iliad had because I could slip the Iliad in and out of it so easily and it was pretty well protected.

I kept getting worried when I was thinking about getting one that I would regret it but now that I've actually used it I can't imagine not having one. I'm still in my honeymoon phase so we'll see if after a week or so it starts crashing or anything like that which would get me upset but with the 1.6 firmware people haven't had as many crashes so I'm very hopeful and with 1.7 right around the corner the good times keep on rolling

Well enough of me rambling I just had to express my excitement that I've finally gotten the device, now its back to some reading or document surfing as I've been doing all day, jeez the documents look so good on it I can hardly even believe it.

Laterz

Last edited by junkyardwillie; 07-11-2009 at 11:10 PM.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Glad you're loving your Digital Reader... it truly is an excellent device. You needn't worry about crashes, they are quite infrequent now. Be sure to check out Xournal - it's working really well now and has many advantages over WritePad notetaking.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Delighted to hear that you're enjoying your DR. I think personally that the flip cover is a lot more practical than the one you have for carrying the device around; it makes the DR very easy to hold and is relatively lightweight.

One thing I'd strongly recommend is that you get a better stylus than the supplied one. I have the "Advanced" stylus, and it's just so much easier to use than the standard one - it's like writing with a normal pen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Welcome aboard,
I do have the last wacom pen from jeff's. It should be the last one.(what he said)
I also use it with win7 on my tablet.
I wonder if someone come up with program to use the other two buttons on the pen for DR.(right click or eraser on windows)
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
Glad you're loving your Digital Reader... it truly is an excellent device. You needn't worry about crashes, they are quite infrequent now. Be sure to check out Xournal - it's working really well now and has many advantages over WritePad notetaking.
Hi, could you give me a exact link to download Xournal that supports firmware 1.6? Thanks for this because I found this software is kept improving and I don't know which one is to be usable.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
Hi, could you give me a exact link to download Xournal that supports firmware 1.6? Thanks for this because I found this software is kept improving and I don't know which one is to be usable.
I downloaded the original port and replaced Programs/_install/xournal_0.4.2.1_arm.ipk with the file in this post. This seems to work fine on my DR with firmware 1.6.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Be sure to check out Xournal - it's working really well now and has many advantages over WritePad notetaking.
I second the suggestion. The delay between writing and display takes a little getting used to, but it is workable. I also bought the Merriam-Webster dictionary and like it very much.

For a cover, I bought a leather bound portfolio for twelve bucks and took the pad of paper out. If your are worried about it slipping out, put a rubber band around it. Put in a small laptop case that comes with most briefcases and back packs, it travels just fine.
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
RobbieClarken
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
I second the suggestion. The delay between writing and display takes a little getting used to, but it is workable. I also bought the Merriam-Webster dictionary and like it very much.
One warning about buying a mobipocket dictionary: iRex may release an update with Adobe Digital Editions support soon, in which case mobipocket DRM (and possibly DRM-free) functionality will be removed. Thankfully we'll still have FBReader to read DRM-free mobis (and MobiDeDRM to fix the others) but I'm not sure whether the dictionary function will still be accessible.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congratulations! I hope you have many happy years of exploding heads with your new toy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One warning about buying a mobipocket dictionary: iRex may release an update with Adobe Digital Editions support soon, in which case mobipocket DRM (and possibly DRM-free) functionality will be removed.
Don't you think that's rather a case of "scaremongering"? Yes, it's well-known that manufacturers are not allowed to offer any other form of DRM if Mobi is present, but iRex might well go down the same road that Bookeen have and offer two firmware versions, one with Mobi support and the other with ePub. I've certainly seen nothing to suggest that Mobi support is going to be dropped - have you?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
RobbieClarken
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't you think that's rather a case of "scaremongering"? Yes, it's well-known that manufacturers are not allowed to offer any other form of DRM if Mobi is present, but iRex might well go down the same road that Bookeen have and offer two firmware versions, one with Mobi support and the other with ePub. I've certainly seen nothing to suggest that Mobi support is going to be dropped - have you?
No, you are quite right that iRex will allow us to choose Adobe DE DRM or Mobipocket DRM. I was just warning junkyardwillie in case he is inclined to go for the Digital Editions option when it is available, since decent dictionaries are quite expensive.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Well my morning was shot after I was up until about 2am playing with my digital reader, now its time to get some oatmeal for a little energy.

The option for a dictionary is definitely cool but I'm going to wait to see what the 1.7 fimware update is, they said that its very minor so I doubt Adobe DE is going to be in it but maybe they'll surprise us. If the option came along I'd switch to Adobe DE from Mobipocket because I have the Iliad which can read Mobipocket but nothing that can do DE and I get some of my books from the NY Public Library's site and they supply DE editions which are useless to me right now because I can't sit in front of a computer to read a book but there are titles that I want to read.

How come Sony was able to work out a deal to have both Adobe DE and Mobipocket? They seem to be the only device that has both or is there's an option as well?

I'll have to check out Xournal, I was trying out swapping between a book and a note pdf yesterday and it works pretty well since the device is fast to reopen docs so notes are actually useful in this one. On my Iliad I would either write notes or read it was too much of a hassle to try to take notes on a book that I was reading. I'm liking it more and more, the OS is lightyears ahead of what was on the Iliad.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've certainly seen nothing to suggest that Mobi support is going to be dropped - have you?
I have, Harry. The product specifications on the back of my box had a sticker over the supported formats that removed Mobipocket PRC from the list.

(P.S.: Congratulations on your reader, Willie. Use it in good heath, oi.)
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
How come Sony was able to work out a deal to have both Adobe DE and Mobipocket? They seem to be the only device that has both or is there's an option as well?
Sony do not support MobiPocket. They support their own native "BBeB" format (files with a .LRF or .LRX extension), plus ADE.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
junkyardwillie
Addict

Ahh my mistake, I thought they supported Mobi as well. That makes more sense Thanks