Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #76
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Do thin reading devices need to have a wide frame (e.g. for rigidity)? Or is this just the current fashion? Both the Wizpac txtr reader and the Plastic Logic reader will have wide frames.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook is extremely thin and it doesn't have a particularly wide "border".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #78
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I don't get the appeal of thiness? From a functionality standpoint the K1 out of the case seems too thin to hold to me. I don't like holding a bare Sony at all. Maybe I just have biggish hands?
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #79
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
They have dealt with the major issues with the 1.0........... The corners are rounded so they will no longer dig into your hand when holding it for long periods. The page buttons are smaller so would be harder to touch accidentally. They got rid of the funky slider thingy (which collects dirt). The keyboard is more traditional. Overall better looking (although frankly looks are for the vain and shallow). I like it and have ordered a Kindle for my wife. Once it is announced I will see if they will be sending the 2.0 and, if not, I will cancel and reorder so as to get the 2.0.

Quote:
I don't like holding a bare Sony at all
Actually, I don't either because it is metal (at least the 500 was) and therefore kinda cold. Kindle 1.0 is plastic and warm. 500 will prolly be sent on to my son.....

Quote:
I rather would have seen a silicon-rubber layer finish which is warmer,and allows better grip.
Agreed! That metal back is a step backward from the rubber on the 1.0 - IMHO.

Quote:
We have several really good sources inside Amazon.
I love spies! <g>

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-07-2009 at 11:24 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #80
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
apple design, wide border,plastic cheesy looks...
Looks much better than kindle 1 though! is it compatible with Apple?
I still prefer the looks of the sony PRS-505 over this one,and can't help to think I've made a great purchase with it,and am glad I did not wait for the kindle2...

The only thing I do like over the Sony is it's ultra sleek design.
Also,the Sony reader is made out of plastic too, but has 'metallic paint',as well as a metal edge on the top and bottom which makes it indeed feel colder.
I rather would have seen a silicon-rubber layer finish which is warmer,and allows better grip.

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-07-2009 at 11:11 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #81
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Many people are assuming facts not in evidence on this device. I may have an SD slot. Perhaps at the top edge. Hard to tell, since they pics don't really show the edges of the device.

It also "looks" like there is no way to replace the battery. However, it could be possible. More like the Hanlin where you need to remove a small screw or two to open it up.

However, I really like the rubberized back of the Kindle classic. I didn't think I would but I do. Makes it nice to hold without a case.

Also, it is possible that this rev has a dual mode wireless chip that supports CDMA and GSM. They do exist. This would be to support European and Asian markets. But, perhaps in those markets it would be a BYOS (bring your own service) via SIM card or something.

BOb

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #82
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Do thin reading devices need to have a wide frame (e.g. for rigidity)? Or is this just the current fashion? Both the Wizpac txtr reader and the Plastic Logic reader will have wide frames.
Umm, the is Wizpac txtr reader is146mm x 128mm x 8mm and weights aprox. 260g

That is smaller than any e-ink yet on the market.
Which is why I will get one for me - it is as pocketable as a PDA.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 AM   #83
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:

IMHO any reader without good publisher support is not worth having unless it is used mainly for your own or other non-copyright content.
It's all about content which is what Amazon has in much greater quantity than anyone else. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I can read most non-Amazon content on both my 505 and my iPod touch but seldom do either - 98% of my reading is Kindle.

Last edited by CCDMan; 02-07-2009 at 11:31 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #84
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
About the pouch issue:

There will more than likely be numerous vendors out there releasing some incredible choices in cover designs for those owners who do not prefer a pouch.

I keep thinking kangaroos when I hear that word.

The Kangaroo....that could be Amazon's new touch-screen Reader to be released at the end of 2009.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #85
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
About the pouch issue:

There will more than likely be numerous vendors out there releasing some incredible choices in cover designs for those owners who do not prefer a pouch.

I keep thinking kangaroos when I hear that word.

The Kangaroo....that could be Amazon's new touch-screen Reader to be released at the end of 2009.

Don
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #86
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

It is less tall, because if does not have any keys on the top or bottom border. It is wider than most current 6" devices (same as PRS-700, a bit less than the Kindle-1). See E-book Reader Matrix, and note that the txtr isn't listed because it won't be available until the fall. Arguably, the Readius and Mentor should not be included either.

I agree that the Wizpac is a very nice design, and if the software is a good as the hardware it will be hard to beat.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #87
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I'm not bothered by the lack of a memory card slot as long as the unit has a goodly amount of internal memory. At current flash memory prices, it would not be out of line to hope for as much as 4GB.

I rarely use the flash memory in my Kindle except to plug it in just long enough to offload any excess from the main memory. I am convinced that it reduces battery life to leave the flash card plugged in all the time.

I just ordered an 'old' Kindle, which shows as delivery estimated 2/26. I can always cancel it on Monday if I need to, but I am hoping I've gotten in the early queue for the new model.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

It's really not pocketable. It's a little wider, a little shorter, and considerably heavier than the CyBook Gen3 (which is 188x118x8mm and weighs 174g). Put it in your pocket and you'll almost certainly "bend" it and shatter the screen substrate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #89
Mainemom
Mainemom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Let me be clear - of course I think that this is what will be announced on Monday. I simply think that to state it as a categorical fact is perhaps a little unwise.
Oh ok. For a minute there I thought folks here were denying the difference between "wild guesses" (mere speculation) and rational, though still falsifiable, conclusions arrived via evidence and logical inference.

I take back my false assertion about Engadget. Thanks for correcting me!
Mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #90
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post

I just ordered an 'old' Kindle, which shows as delivery estimated 2/26. I can always cancel it on Monday if I need to, but I am hoping I've gotten in the early queue for the new model.
I've suspected for a long time that the backlog that was created this fall and over the holidays was in large part due to the fact that they had stopped production of the K1 and were getting the production line going on the K2.

If you look at the Amazon website -- they say the delivery date is at 2-4 weeks which corresponds to the February 24th time frame. Plus -- all along, the delivery estimates have been aimed at a 2/24 time frame.

That, combined with the fact that they are keeping the price at 359, leads me to believe (speculate, if you will ;-) that everyone who has a Kindle on back order will be getting a Kindle 2. (as implied by the person that emailed Jeff Bezos)

re: the SD card speculation

Also, if you look at the image that shows the back of the kindle -- there is a "bulge" (not to be confused with Bush's bulge) where they could accommodate an SD card of some description -- perhaps they have decided to go with the smaller SD card that cell phones use. That's what you are using now... just with a big ol' plastic holder on it.

I still love my Sony but also know my weakness and will probably wind up buying one before all is said and done... plus, I have 150 bucks in Amazon coupons burning a whole in my pocket...
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote