Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #31
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
No. Think of it like those ATM machines you use. You see the options on screen, & these options are aligned against the buttons at the side of the display.

No touchscreen.
I could have sworn I read it had a touch screen. All these readers, current and future, are blending in my head.

Thanks.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #32
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Maybe one of the "8 simple buttons" activates a touch screen keyboard (I hope).

http://www.readius.com/support/faq
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I could have sworn I read it had a touch screen. All these readers, current and future, are blending in my head.

Thanks.
Heh. It's clearer once you've seen the YouTube video of the Readius demo that was shot approx. a year ago by someone on here. But lot of Readius videos anyway...
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #33
sf_reality
sf_reality doesn't littersf_reality doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, Readius
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Only being able to dial your contacts (as mentioned, I'm perfectly fine with the "import from your PC thing) and not be able to dial a number that's not in that contacts database (and I understand why - I just wasn't completely certain if that was the case), is not optimum for me. However, like using the Iliad as a web browser, it's not the kind of thing that would get in the way of me buying one. To me, it's an exciting device, fitting almost perfectly with my desires in such a thing (I'm not generally fond of "do everything" devices, but a little convergence doesn't hurt). I'd buy one.

So, since you have one, I'd love to hear your reaction to it.

Cheers,
Marc
Sorry, Marc, I don't have Readius yet. I think nobody does, as Readius hasn't been launched yet. However, I had a chance to hold Readius in my hands. And I subscribed for their updates on availability - http://www.readius.com/register
sf_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
No. Think of it like those ATM machines you use. You see the options on screen, & these options are aligned against the buttons at the side of the display.

No touchscreen.
However there could be a way to code the 8 buttons so they allow entry of a phone number. If they can get the entire alphabet in 9 numbers then it should be a piece of cake to get 10 numbers in 8 buttons.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #35
tobyb
tobyb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
"It won’t be SIM-locked?

Well, it is one of the areas I am working on. But my ultimate goal is that, whatever else, the solution will be very easy. I want to make it as easy and transparent as possible for the customer to start using it."

He also talks about still being in discussion with telephone companies. I am really worried that the Readius may end up being limited by the commercial deals PolymerVision strikes. For example being SIM locked to providers, who you can imagine will require 18 month data tariffs.

Have they also discussed whether ContentWorld will be the only content provider for the Readius? I am worried that it will only sync (at least over the air) with ContentWorld, which Polyervision can control and charge for.

Lets hope soon enough they can be clear on these issues.
tobyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #36
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_reality View Post
Sorry, Marc, I don't have Readius yet. I think nobody does, as Readius hasn't been launched yet. However, I had a chance to hold Readius in my hands. And I subscribed for their updates on availability - http://www.readius.com/register
Ahh, okay. I saw it in your profile and thought you might have been in a position to obtain extra-special, privileged advance ownership. Still, you've held one in your hands, which is more than most anyone in the world outside of Polymer Vision can say.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #37
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Is the Readius durable?

Polymer Vision is the display company; the Readius is our first commercial device. The display the Readius uses today is the same we’ve been doing extensive tests on; these tests were according to standards in the mobile market.

To demonstrate its mechanical lifetime, we have machines that constantly roll the display in and out. We’ve rolled it over 25,000 times without a sign of degradation.

If I kept folding a material, I’d think that eventually it should show a folding joint.

You are right, you would imagine that. If a material is bent too far it will not return to its original shape. But by fixing the roll radius of the display in the Readius (to 7.5mm) we avoid this problem. In all the roll tests we did, folding joints never appeared.
Based on failure modes in the iLiad display what I'd be dubious about in terms of durability in the Readius display would be:

Electrodes

I'd personally be worried about the electrode material breaking down due to extra mechanical stress from the rolling. We've all seen pictures of E Ink panels that experienced electrode failure on static flat displays.

I'd also be curious about the impact upon the electrode material of rolling the display during a refresh (the oops got a phone call use case) when the electrodes have the voltages running through them. Especially since the panel has a PPI of 254. The electrodes are even smaller and more tightly spaced than in a conventional statically mounted panel.

E Ink tattoo

The other failure mode we've seen with E Ink's panels is ink tattoo, where the ink moves into a non-electrophoretically reachable area and essentially tattoo's the panel. As the sandwich that is the E Ink film is rolled what keeps the ink capsules from being gradually pushed beyond the reach of the electrode's EMF, especially when they've been driven to full black? Doesn't the panel gradually lose contrast as it is rolled? Especially at 104F?

And again, the high PPI works against the tattoo issue: smaller electrodes mean a smaller capture area to manipulate the ink capsules within making it easier for them to slip away.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #38
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Especially since the panel has a PPI of 254.
320x240 on a 5" (diagonal) screen is relatively low resolution for E-Ink. Where does the 254 PPI come from?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:43 PM   #39
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think Scotty1024 got something a bit mixed uo here...

In the interview, there was talk of a prototype with this incredibly high resolution, the Readius will have a rather low-res screen...let's hope not too low-res, I don't want blocky text in my books...

I just stumbled on this Interview today (must really go back to being more active on mobileread.com... ) and must say that I'm thrilled. Maybe contracts will be a deal-breaker (like with the iPhone) or something else will get in the way of total success, but the though of plucking a little box out of my pocket and then unrolling the display and starting to read just contains soo much geek factor that I can hardly remain seated...which reminds me that itä#s about time to go out with the doggie...^^

I seriously hope somebody at mobileread.com will get a chance to review one of these soon...

Oh, and to spread some completely unfounded rumour...isn't the Kindle 2.0 supposed to go to market sometime in October and isn't it supposed to go on display at the Frankfurt Book Fair???
Imagine a 5" Rolleable, Mobile-Internet connected Kindle for us outside the US...

Ok, it's not really a very believable rumour, but maybe somebody will fall for it...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #40
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
E Ink’s material is excellent, and what we’ve already demonstrated earlier this year is an e-paper display with 254dpi, the highest resolution ever shown.
I would take issue with that statement. Epson demo'ed a 350dpi A6 display 2 years ago.

Granted that is an impressive resolution for a rollable display, it does not earn superlative he attached to it.
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, ereader, interview, karl mcgoldrick, polymer vision, readius