Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #46
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
The iPad 3 only weighs 0.11 lbs or 1.75 oz or 8% more than iPad 2, which is not significantly heavier, but it is noticeable.
With the iPad Mini being a mere 300g though, I reckon the resulting increase in weight to maintain its current battery life would be much more noticeable. Perhaps it might even be a deal breaker for some.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #47
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
The screen quality is far more important to me than the weight.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #48
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
You may be dazzled by the screen at first but if its too heavy you'll find that you use it for reading less and less. At least, that's been my experience.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #49
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
You may be dazzled by the screen at first but if its too heavy you'll find that you use it for reading less and less. At least, that's been my experience.
But how heavy is too heavy?

Out of interest I just went and weighed my Sony PRS-650 and my Nexus 7, both in their leather cases. I've been happily reading off the Sony for years and both my wife and I are happy reading from the Nexus 7 for long periods.

The Sony came in at 350g and the Nexus 7 at a whopping 500g.

I think Apple has some leeway there with weight.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
New low-cost iPad mini expected to debut alongside Retina model in 2014

Quote:
But a Retina display iPad mini isn't in the cards for this year, he said, due to technical issues. Specifically, a 7.9-inch Retina display reportedly consumes too much power, which has required Apple to redesign all components in an effort to improve power efficiency.
Poor Apple... a victim of Steve's thin policy

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that's essentially what we've been saying already, that a Retina screen in the current Mini would have too high a power consumption.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Not if they put a bigger battery in it
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree with you, but unfortunately the "market" seems to demand that each generation be smaller and lighter than the one before it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #54
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you think it's the "market" or the "marketing" that has put the focus on being lighter and lighter each time?

I think a substantial portion of the market would trade some weight for much longer battery life, at least in the iPhone realm. OTOH, a low-power CPU can make all the difference--i.e., the new Haswell MacBook Airs! Same weight, but incredible 12-14 hour battery life--even better than the iPad's!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #55
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
But how heavy is too heavy?

Out of interest I just went and weighed my Sony PRS-650 and my Nexus 7, both in their leather cases. I've been happily reading off the Sony for years and both my wife and I are happy reading from the Nexus 7 for long periods.

The Sony came in at 350g and the Nexus 7 at a whopping 500g.

I think Apple has some leeway there with weight.
Curious, do you read single-handed? One reason I didn't get a folio-type case for my Nexus 7 is because its base weight (~350g) is pretty much my hard limit for single-handed operation. I've got a Nook Color (~450g) and it's already in the realm of what I'd consider too heavy.

Ideally, I'd like something that weighs the same as my PRS-350 (lighter is also good). I just don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #56
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Do you think it's the "market" or the "marketing" that has put the focus on being lighter and lighter each time?
Spot on. Some people might want thinner and lighter devices, but I for one don't mind some bulk if that means my battery lasts that much longer.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #57
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Spot on. Some people might want thinner and lighter devices, but I for one don't mind some bulk if that means my battery lasts that much longer.
Similarly, one of the reasons I get cases for my iStuff is that it's expensive and thin enough that I worry about breaking it if I don't use a case. Make it a little chunkier, so I don't worry about it snapping like a twig and I get better battery life, and I'm a happy guy.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #58
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:

I think a substantial portion of the market would trade some weight for much longer battery life, at least in the iPhone realm.
For smartphones, yeah, I'd gladly trade thinness and weight for longer battery life. All the new smartphones are practically weightless anyhow. The tablets, though, I think could still benefit from some weight loss.

Quote:
OTOH, a low-power CPU can make all the difference--i.e., the new Haswell MacBook Airs! Same weight, but incredible 12-14 hour battery life--even better than the iPad's!
I've been waiting for x86 (okay, just Intel, really, didn't really hold high hopes for AMD) to catch up to ARM in terms of power consumption. Glad to see it finally happening. I've wanted an x86 tablet since before the iPad came out but battery life has always been a deterrent. Looks like I might finally be getting my wish.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #59
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Curious, do you read single-handed? One reason I didn't get a folio-type case for my Nexus 7 is because its base weight (~350g) is pretty much my hard limit for single-handed operation. I've got a Nook Color (~450g) and it's already in the realm of what I'd consider too heavy.
I hold the device in one hand and swipe the screen with the other, but thinking about it, I usually rest the reader on something else as well, so I'm not taking the weight.

But I never have an issue with finding somewhere to rest it when I'm reading for long periods; the only time I can think of when I have to hold the device purely in one hand is when reading standing up on a train. I don't notice it as heavy then, but I suppose the duration of those sessions is shorter.

However, what definitely limits my reading time is the resolution of the screen. I can read longer on the Nexus 7 than the Touchpad, so with respect to the iPad mini I'd certainly feel that a Retina screen would be worth some extra weight.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 AM   #60
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have a kindle Paperwhite which is perfect for reading one handed, but at home I end up using my ipad 3 most of the time and read on that if my Kindles not near me, i rest it on my lap and its fine, works really well as an ereader.

I bought a Nook HD for travelling as I need a good screen, for me a cheaper lighter mini iPad is no good if the trade off is a screen resolution worse than the Nook HD which is around 243. The current mini ipad is 163. I don't want to see pixels when I read.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote