Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
? about posting in eblogger

I was reading this blog on Google's E-blogger and went to post a comment there (the screen said 'enter your comment here' and allowed me to do so), but when I went to publish it, the screen switched to the E-blogger sign in page. Is this what always happens on E-blogger? And if so, that doesn't seem right.

Does the same thing happen at Wordpress blogs?

Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearstardiode View Post
I was reading this blog on Google's E-blogger and went to post a comment there (the screen said 'enter your comment here' and allowed me to do so), but when I went to publish it, the screen switched to the E-blogger sign in page. Is this what always happens on E-blogger? And if so, that doesn't seem right.

Does the same thing happen at Wordpress blogs?

Thanks.
Many blogs require a login before commenting; it's how they cut down on spam. On Wordpress, it's an optional feature. If you don't activate it, you *will* get plenty of spam comments. (There are filters that can keep them from being posted publicly.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Many blogs require a login before commenting; it's how they cut down on spam. On Wordpress, it's an optional feature. If you don't activate it, you *will* get plenty of spam comments. (There are filters that can keep them from being posted publicly.)
Thanks Elfwreck. I hadn't thought about spam. Appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
This is one of those rock and hard-place type choices. You have to make a choice about whether you would prefer to deal with spam or potentially reduce real comments.

The rock: I started my blog back in November. I don't require a sign-in. I currently receive about 10 spam comments for every 1 real comment. On the plus side, the spam filter catches almost all of them.

The hard-place: There are several blogs that I have visited where I would have left a real comment, but when asked to provide a log-in I gave up. I don't imagine I'm the only one. I don't know how you would measure the impact of this.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
This is one of those rock and hard-place type choices. You have to make a choice about whether you would prefer to deal with spam or potentially reduce real comments.

The rock: I started my blog back in November. I don't require a sign-in. I currently receive about 10 spam comments for every 1 real comment. On the plus side, the spam filter catches almost all of them.

The hard-place: There are several blogs that I have visited where I would have left a real comment, but when asked to provide a log-in I gave up. I don't imagine I'm the only one. I don't know how you would measure the impact of this.
Thanks gmw. Yeah, I wrote this long post and didn't even know I had to sign in. So I go to publish it and--poof, it's gone. Personally I'll deal with the spam. Thanks for the feedback.
Advert