Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy A rather naughty penguin...?

Todays Independent, alas....

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...g-6267847.html

Not good news....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
E-books for lending are designed so that they vanish from e-book readers (like the Kindle) after a fixed period, but it is possible for hackers to break the coding and thereby hold on to an e-book indefinitely.
Those who game the system will just download from dodgy sites anyway. This just ensures that authors will not receive the royalties they deserve when people use such sites. It's a silly move really.

They'll never find a way to allow you to read a book without there also been a way to strip the drm if you so wish. It's just not possible to give you the key to read the content without giving you the key to read the content.

Last edited by JoeD; 11-25-2011 at 12:30 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
The piracy line is just that...a line. Penguin is befuddled by all of this ebook stuff and afraid for their profit margins and making all the wrong moves to take them into the new publishing paradigm. They are the very definition of the "publishing company dinosaur," unable to evolve, too big to maneuver and too fat to keep fed.

IMHO.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
And hackers are a very small minority of people who read ebooks anyway. They would make more money even with the hackers than they are making now.
Some bookstores used to steal paperbacks without the covers too. That did not stop the publishers from selling paperback books. It was to small a minority to affect their bottom line.
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 11-25-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It should be pointed out (For those who didn't read the article) that this is only about
Penguin's ebooks provided to libraries, not to the much larger number available for sale.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
You know what's really sad?

A couple weeks ago, when I sent in my letter to the Library of Congress open submission about DRM, this is one thing I mentioned: that unless DRM is done away with for paid content all together, publishers will start pulling their books from libraries due to poor security. Ultimately, this threatens the viability of libraries as a business, and that is incredibly worrying - access to information to everyone is a cornerstone of a developed society.

I've never been less pleased to be right.

And the funny thing about it is, it's their fault libraries can't secure their content. They are so intent on making the content people pay for as limited as lending through invasive DRM that people who want to actually protect their purchased content are forced to strip it. Because of that, DRM-stripping tools are rampant, rendering DRM useless for its one legitimate purpose: lending.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 11-25-2011 at 05:44 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
This ignores the fact that some people were doing this so that they could put their books on the Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
You do realize that half the people on MR are what that article defines as "Hackers" I DeDRM all the books that I buy, and I think library books are exactly the same.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
You do realize that half the people on MR are what that article defines as "Hackers" I DeDRM all the books that I buy, and I think library books are exactly the same.
Well that brings to mind one of my common quotes from back in the day on active duty.

"What kind of f****** bar did I walk into?"

The usual rejoinder was "Same one as last night!"

Live and never learn.

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
They'll never find a way to allow you to read a book without there also been a way to strip the drm if you so wish. It's just not possible to give you the key to read the content without giving you the key to read the content.
except I don't believe that Apple's Fairplay DRM has been broken, has it?

not that I'd buy books from Apple anyway.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
That's probably more because there's no need/demand to. It's simply easier to buy a book with one of the already cracked DRMs than waste the time cracking the Apple one.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
That's probably more because there's no need/demand to. It's simply easier to buy a book with one of the already cracked DRMs than waste the time cracking the Apple one.
Yep. Apple screwed themselves with their Agency pricing scheme. By letting publishers set prices and requiring prices to be equal across all stores, they removed any incentive to buy from the iBooks store. There are no (worthwhile) exclusives to iBooks, so nobody has bothered to put in the time to crack the DRM.

That said, it's theoretically possible. Fairplay for books should be similar to Fairplay for music and videos, and the Requiem project has pretty consistently broken music/video Fairplay. If there was enough demand I'm sure they could extend to ebook cracking as well.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
There just hasn't been the demand, due to the limited install base. iBooks is one of the least used ebook retailers, and requires you to own an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch). Why waste the effort, when so few people would want it. Most people I know who use their iOS device for reading, use the Kindle app, or stanza, etc.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:53 AM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Frickin' Penguin. I had 4 ebooks on the Wait List at the library since 11/11 with a release date of 12/6. Went to see where I was in line - all gone. Guess which publisher they were...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

not that I'd buy books from Apple anyway.
I don't think the book varient has, but music (before it was drm free) and films has.

As the poster above mentioned though, there's not really much demand, however it's just not possible to provide a way to decrypt content to view it without also exposing the decryption key, so if the format becomes popular enough or someone just gets a bee in their bonnet, it'll be cracked.

The slight exception to that is in the sense of hardware where they can hide the key in custom chips to avoid passing the key over the bus where it may be intercepted. However, that just relies on people having an easier time cracking software than hardware, stripping back silicon has been done by some (see bunnies xbox hack), it's just more involved/costly to do and also more costly for the device makers.

In response to the post about it been library ebooks only, not sure who it was aimed at, or if it was just a general note, but I was aware of it and stick by my original post.

Last edited by JoeD; 12-06-2011 at 06:04 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote