Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
Calibre Server and Kindle Fire

I know this was talked about briefly on the Calibre forum but I wanted to post here hopefully to get some more ideas or see if anyone has found a work around.

I travel a lot and keep my computer at my house on running my calibre server. The new kindle fire can access the server and even download the content but the problem is this.

Once the say pdf is downloaded then it doesn't show up in the docs folder. and if its a book doesn't show up in the books tab. I can use es file explore and find it in downloads just fine. I can even move it the the corresponding folder. The problem still remains it doesn't show up on the kindle fire tabbed sections.

The only way I have found to get it to work is to reset the kindle, but that is crazy to have to reset the device every time a new book/pdf is added. is there a program to do a soft reset or is there a way to make the calibre server somehow drop it and force a reset? Just wondering what to do...
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheBookworm View Post
is there a program to do a soft reset or is there a way to make the calibre server somehow drop it and force a reset? Just wondering what to do...
I haven't managed to get a download to complete successfully from the content server, but that's not why I'mposting... if you already have the ebook on your Fire and can verify that in the file structure, then using an android reading program should work. You can side-load, for example, CoolReader or FBReader, and once that's installed you navigate from within the reading app to the folder where your content lives. The books still wont display in the "books" or "documents" view in the Fire launcher, but you will be able to read the books you've manually added to your Fire.

Hope that helps! (kudos back to Obsessed2, not me, if this works.. he just gave me this recommendation yesterday. i'm just a n00b passing along his knowledge.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheBookworm View Post
I know this was talked about briefly on the Calibre forum but I wanted to post here hopefully to get some more ideas or see if anyone has found a work around.

I travel a lot and keep my computer at my house on running my calibre server. The new kindle fire can access the server and even download the content but the problem is this.

Once the say pdf is downloaded then it doesn't show up in the docs folder. and if its a book doesn't show up in the books tab. I can use es file explore and find it in downloads just fine. I can even move it the the corresponding folder. The problem still remains it doesn't show up on the kindle fire tabbed sections.

The only way I have found to get it to work is to reset the kindle, but that is crazy to have to reset the device every time a new book/pdf is added. is there a program to do a soft reset or is there a way to make the calibre server somehow drop it and force a reset? Just wondering what to do...
No need to reset your Kindle. Read this here.
It hasn't be tested on PDFs but it might work.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I had a quick question for Tony. Is your calibre content server password protected? I can't seem to get any downloads to work from my content library. I'm just curious. I'm planning on opening a thread in the calibre forum.

Last edited by astrodad; 11-22-2011 at 08:05 AM.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Nevermind....https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ndroid+browser explains that Android has issues with HTTP digest authentication.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No need to reset your Kindle. Read this here.
It hasn't be tested on PDFs but it might work.
this worked great!!
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote