Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Rolzup
Rolzup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Disappearing books.

I'm having an odd issue with my Kobo Wireless -- whether it's the device, the files, or a problem with Calibre, I don't know.

90% of the books that I'm putting on my Kobo have no problem. The other 10% I can transfer to the device...but when I disconnect, and check, they ain't there. Reconnecting tells me that the files in question aren't on the device's library, so I transfer them and the check marks appear.

But I disconnect, and they're gone again, as I discovered on my lunch break today.

Any idea as to what the problem might be? I need to check, but I'm fairly sure that these most -- if not all -- are PDFs that I converted using Calibre. But not ALL of the PDFs that I've converted are behaving this way.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've offended it somehow....
Rolzup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Linzer
Linzer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Same here! I bought my eReader two days ago and transferred free ePub books (about 150 or so) using Calibre to Kobo's main memory (not on the microSD card). I've noticed that five or six books, although I could see them in Windows Explorer when connecting Kobo to my PC, were not displayed on the Kobo reader. I couldn't see the check marks in Calibre although I do know the missing books were check marked when I initially loaded them on Kobo. I solved the issue by loading the books to the microSD card (after removing them from the main memory, with Windows Explorer). I transferred two books with Calibre on the microSD card and the remaining three or four via file transfer using Windows Explorer also on the microSD card. After that Kobo displayed all books and I can see the green checks in Calibre... L
Linzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Two things come to mind for you to check (for the Kobo wireless and not Touch which is a bit different).

-pdf's sometimes show up under "Documents" and not "Books" on the wireless.

-sometimes a bad name of a free epub will cause problems with the Kobo loading it. Make sure there are no unusual characters in the title as that can sometimes cause problems (e.g. something like "_").

Last edited by p_a_smith; 09-06-2011 at 05:25 PM.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Rolzup
Rolzup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Well, I got it working. I deleted the entire library from the Kobo, along with at least one file that I really shouldn't have...fortunately, I was able to cut and paste from my wife's Kobo to get things back in working order.

I re-uploaded my library to the device, and this time everything worked as it should.
Rolzup is offline   Reply With Quote