Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #256
peegee
Enthusiast
peegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Thanks for this great list. Personally I'm happy with FBReader, it does everything I need.

I don't know why you say
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any meaningful progress indicator to let you know when the end of a chapter or book is coming, though it does give whole-book indication.
... it has chapter markers and pseudo-page-numbers in the progress bar, as you can see from the attached screenshot (I think they are only for the top level chaps, so if your book has a nested TOC maybe they won't show).
peegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #257
peegee
Enthusiast
peegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
sorry, attachment didn't attach! Trying again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fbreader.png
Views:	371
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	69712  
peegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #258
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegee View Post
Thanks for this great list. Personally I'm happy with FBReader, it does everything I need.

I don't know why you say

... it has chapter markers and pseudo-page-numbers in the progress bar, as you can see from the attached screenshot (I think they are only for the top level chaps, so if your book has a nested TOC maybe they won't show).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #259
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This has become way too frustrating.... Aldiko on Honeycomb/Xoom constantly crashes when I try to open a book -- not quite, but almost every time. To the point where I'm going to stop even trying to use it (it seems okay once it opens the book) til they work out the bugs.

As a side note -- there is some similar crashing behavior on my DroidX with it as well.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #260
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegee View Post

I don't know why you say

The last time I "reviewed" FBReader was when this was originally posted. At the time, it was correct. Thanks for the update!
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #261
Seadart
Seadart began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad + Palm TX
DRM books ex Palm on Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamole View Post
iReader will open DRM. pdb books. I've tried it and it works fairly well. I like Moon+ reader best as an android ereader, but you have to remove the DRM first and convert to epub to use it. There is information out there for removing DRM for personal use. Just google it.
I have now solved most of my problems with iReader - good tip!

Last problem is how to get a Mobi PID for Android (I suspect I am going to be told it is not possible and therefore I must crack the Mobi DRM).
Seadart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #262
WzeroMN
WzeroMN began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Kindle books on rooted Nook Color

From reading this thread it seems I could run the Android Kindle App on a rooted Color Nook. Is that true. Anyone does this and likes it?
If true I probably am going to Root it. I HATE being restricted to one supplier.
WzeroMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #263
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WzeroMN View Post
From reading this thread it seems I could run the Android Kindle App on a rooted Color Nook. Is that true. Anyone does this and likes it?
If true I probably am going to Root it. I HATE being restricted to one supplier.
Yes, the Kindle app works fine on a rooted NOOKcolor.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #264
WzeroMN

I am interested in ONLY the Kindle application provided from Amazon to use on an Android phone. Has anyone tried this and does it work on protected books.

Has anyone gotten that to work?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #265
kennyc

Quote:
I am interested in ONLY the Kindle application provided from Amazon to use on an Android phone. Has anyone tried this and does it work on protected books.

Has anyone gotten that to work?
It works fine with Amazon ebooks -purchased directly or sent or sideloaded.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #266
WzeroMN

Thanks. Now the thing is to determine how to root it. There are several ways from what I can see. One is to make a bootable SD card and the other seems loading some sort of custom ROM.

Any recommendations of what Root to use for Nook Color would be greatly appreciated and even better would be a link to the location to get it :-)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #267
WzeroMN

I see that atoned will not root my device with higher serial number and the procedure to do it is so complex that it is easy to goof it up. I will wait. Anyone know of an easy root process that does not require command lines and Wifi and routers and such. I guess I will just wait. I do not have many Kindle books.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #268
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Anyone know of an easy root process that does not require command lines and Wifi and routers and such.
Not sure what atoned is, but the Autonooter process is very easy, as long as you read the instructions thoroughly and know which Nook Color firmware you're working with (1.0.0, 1.0.1 or 1.1). There are definitely no command lines required if you use Windows at least.

This ArsTechnica article summarises everything to do with rooting the Nook Color -- why root it, how to root it, what to expect from it when rooted. Read this article to get an overview of the rooting process.

This article on NookDevs is very comprehensive, and the sheer number of steps can look intimidating at first. However, the article only has so many steps so that the reader knows exactly what to do all the way through the process.

I recommend you read both articles if you decide to root. Both articles have download links also. Preparation may take an hour or so, but rooting for me only took ten minutes or less.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #269
WzeroMN

The problem is this simple procedure is said not to work with my 1004..... serial number. If anyone has done it with this later hardware and it worked please let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #270
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Any recommendations of what Root to use for Nook Color would be greatly appreciated and even better would be a link to the location to get it :-)
Ah, I see the confusion now. I was responding to this, but you were actually asking about the root process for a classic Nook.

I'm not familiar with the Classic, but why not wander over to the Nook forums on MR and ask there? I'm sure somebody can help you out.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one