Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

pdf page changing speed ?

hi all ,
i have created so many pdf files with the same pdf tool ( primo pdf ) .
and i noticed that the page changing speed is much faster when i create a pdf file with large fonts compared to pdf files with small fonts .
is this normal ?
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
I would say so. Bigger font = less details to render on the page, and less time to do so.

PrimoPDF embeds fonts into PDFs, so if you don't need to read non-english texts, I would switch to RTF/TXT formats. It will increase page-turn speed.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

thanks salva .

i have another question :

i have downloaded some pdf files from the interent and some of these files takes more than 10 seconds for page changing compared to 2 seconds when i create my pdf file with primo pdf , why is that ?
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Slava
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny14
i have another question :
i have downloaded some pdf files from the interent and some of these files takes more than 10 seconds for page changing compared to 2 seconds when i create my pdf file with primo pdf , why is that ?
I don't know "why" But I've noticed that PDFs created with PrimoPDF are "faster" then ones created with pdfFactory. Unfortunatelly even with PrimoPDF, if PDF file is big, then page-turn time goes up to 6-8 seconds after 500 (or so) pages.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
As my knowledge from 'each', when Sony Reader opens the PDFs with bookmarks,
the loading time is very long.
I guess the 'structure of the cach file' for the Sony Reader slows down the paging speed with more pages.
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
I used Primo PDF and find that when the PDF is installed on the reader, the text is too small and light to read. I have never used PDF before and was wondering what I did wrong and how to correct it so that I can read in PDF.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Slava
Addict

I assume you're printing from Word/WordPad? If so, you will need to do a couple of things (ok, may be a bit more then couple)

1) Set page size to 5.24"x6.69"
2) Set margins as small as you can (but even 0.25" is not bad)
3) Set font size to 14-16
4) Select PrimoPDF as printer and then Properties/Advanced options
5) Change Paper size to "PostScript Custom Page Size"
6) Set "PostScript Custom Page Size" to 5.24"x6.69" (it will change to 5.23"x6.69")
7) Click all the "OK" you can
8) Print the document.
9) In PrimoPDF "PDF Settings" choose EBook
10) In "Document Properties" enter Title and Author
11) Ta-da
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20061012_0002.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	1796  

Last edited by Slava; 10-12-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #8
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Thank you Salva for your help on this.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:57 AM   #9
Larry Z.
Enthusiast
Larry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejons_dad
Thank you Salva for your help on this.
Hey, Salva - wanted to add my thanks too for the tips on Primo PDF...

Any way to get the fonts appreciably larger without scaling the document? When I put the PDF in the Reader without scaling, the text was really small. Resizing it to "M" in the reader only helped a little.

I scaled the document to 110%, and the "M" setting looks a lot better - but the type is a little washed out...

Any help would be appreciated!
Larry Z.
Larry Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #10
Slava
Addict

Quote:
Any way to get the fonts appreciably larger without scaling the document?
Larry,

I would try to
  1. setting fonts size to 16-18 (this post has some examples)
  2. setting margins to 0.02"
Old 10-19-2006, 04:36 AM   #11
Larry Z.
Enthusiast
Larry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litterLarry Z. doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Thank you Slava!

My document, however, has a lot of pagination, bullets and lists. When I change the font size, the whole thing gets thrown off...

For my purposes, I think washed out text is fine. Usually I refer to the manual when one of my students questions a technique or animal set (kind of a kung fu self-defense sequence) to make sure I haven't forgotten something. I use the Reader to bookmark the different chapters so I can get to them easily.

Now I just wish the pages would change faster!

Thanks again -
Larry Z.
Larry Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, the PDF viewer speed is a major issue on the Reader. It is not as noticeable with simple text-based PDFs, especially the ones generated by HTMLDoc. But it becomes a nightmare with the PDFs heavy on graphics and generally image-based.

We already know that the PDFs created by different programs do not play the same on the Sony Reader. PDFCreator is not as fast as PrimoPDF, PrimoPDF is a bit slower than HTMLDoc. I think the main issue here is not the complexity, and not the number of pages, but file size. If you bother to compare the output of the PDF generating software, you will see that the size of PDF files created from the same input is not always the same. Once the PDF file gets above 2-4 MB, we start seeing some delays, which can drive any user insane.

There is a new program called Just Another Printer (see the Russian E-book Forums for more info), which allows you to convert graphic-based books (DJVU, PDFs, image sequences) into PDFs while adjusting the frame sizes so that the text is easily readable on the Sony Reader. It would have been a tremendous help, only if the PDF parser on the device worked as it is supposed to. The size of the result file is sometimes very big - as much as 50 MB for a 1000-page book. There is no problem with loading a file of this size into any viewer on the PC, nor on iRex iLiad or even the Linux-based Jinke V2 (as far I know). The file may take a couple of seconds to load, and then the pages turn normally. Not so on the Sony Reader. The file takes as much as 10-15 minutes to load, and it takes as much as 10-15 minutes to turn a page! This is just absolutely ridiculous. All right, not all graphic heavy PDFs are 50 MB in size. We can take a 10 MB PDF, and we will see the load times of 1.5 minutes, and page turning times of about 1.5 minutes as well. I don't know who made the PDF parser for Sony, but they sure didn't do a very good job of it.

Last edited by porkupan; 10-19-2006 at 11:20 AM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan
I don't know who made the PDF parser for Sony, but they sure didn't do a very good job of it.
I'm pretty sure that Adobe made the Reader's PDF viewing software.

Regarding loading/paging speeds, I've noticed that really big and hairy PDF files such as you're describing, sometimes take a fair amount of time to load and page on my PC at work, which is a pretty brawny machine.

If they're working as fast as you're describing on the iLiad, I'm quite impressed by that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I've noticed that really big and hairy PDF files such as you're describing, sometimes take a fair amount of time to load and page on my PC at work, which is a pretty brawny machine.

If they're working as fast as you're describing on the iLiad, I'm quite impressed by that.
Well, the same PDFs may take a second or two to load on my PC, and there is no noticeable delay in paging. Nowhere near 10 seconds per page, I am not even talking about 10 minutes per page.

The iLiad PDF viewer seems to be the only well working document viewer on that platform (that is as far as I have read in the discussion forums, I have no hands-on experience with iLiad at all). Yesterday on Russian E-Book Forums there was a posting by the guy who resells Jinke's ebook readers in Russia and Ukraine, and he claims to have tried image based 80 MB PDF on the new Jinke V2 (Jinke V8 didn't read PDFs), and supposedly there was absolutely no delay in paging. I am sure we would have to wait 20 minutes to turn one page of an 80 MB PDF with our Sony Readers.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #15
sh0dan
sh0dan began at the beginning.

PDF viewing is definately a problem. I think that Sony should make a serious efford to make it a useable on the Reader.

It's a mystery to me, why they don't pre-render the next page and cache the previous one. 95% of all pages are viewed serially, so they would gain a tremendous amount of usability, if they simply pre-rendered the next page in the background, while you read the current page.
sh0dan is offline   Reply With Quote