Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
mendhak
mendhak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Reimport books from another folder to Calibre folder structure?

Hello! I have a bit of a situation which I'm hoping you can help with.

I recently lost my Calibre folder (all folders, all ebooks), although I still have the metadata (OPF) that Calibre displays. I also have a separate folder containing the same books that Calibre used to have but not the same structure, no OPF.

So although the books appear in Calibre, I cannot 'use' them. For example double clicking it will bring up this error.

What I would like to do is to restore the files from my 'other' folders back into the Calibre folder structure so that I can restore my book collection and preserve metadata.

What would be the best way to do this? I have roughly 300 books so I am trying to avoid doing this manually. I am familiar with scripting if necessary.
mendhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The message is because you now have an empty Library, but calibre does not know it (says you have a Mobi file for that book)

First Make a BACKUP of the current (mostly empty) Library folder, just in case thing go belly up.

->Not tested<- be sure to have a backup

Preferences Adding Books: Auto Merge Books:Overwrite Existing Duplicate formats (We know they don't really exist)
APPLY

Now Add your books using the Add Books Icon: <Pick the appropriate choice> You can do this in small steps.
IMHO do a few, and see if the results for those please you
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
mendhak
mendhak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the suggest, I tried this out and it managed to pick up about 35 books unfortunately. At this point I've decided to bite the bullet and simply redo everything. I think certain things are just difficult to recover from. I've got a backup of the 'bad' folder in case I want to try other ways of restoring to it.
mendhak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, folder, reimport, restore