Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
JoppyFurr
Coding fuzzball
JoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kindle Touch
[Kindle Touch] Touch-screen keyboard demo

Hi,

I've made a good start on my touch screen keyboard, if anybody wants to have a play around with it.

I've given it the Dvorak layout, seeing as that's what I use on my PC. However, changing it to Qwerty is trivial, and if there is interest, I can include a Qwerty version of keyboard.h in future releases.

So far, letters, numbers, and symbols are all working, along with the shift, space, and backspace keys. The demo allows you to try out typing with it.

Eventually I'll make it a bit less grid-like. Having one big space bar, instead of a few space buttons next to one another, etc.

Enjoy playing around with it, and post any comments you have. I have an exam on Monday, so probably won't be working on this too much over the next day or two. But hopefully before the next week is up I'll have some form of working terminal for the Kindle Touch :3
Attached Files
File Type: gz keyboard.tar.gz (14.5 KB, 330 views)
JoppyFurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
This is amazing dude... I've always wanted this. Next step would be terminal emulator, midnight commander, ... QWERTY keyboard would be cool too. for your generosity in sharing your time and effort and source code.

EDIT: I really love this community and now starting to understand the world views of pioneers like Richard Stallman and Linus Torvals and etc... in the benefit of open communities, both for effectively working together and advancing and for feeling good as a human (the latter is way more important IMHO).

Last edited by thatworkshop; 05-19-2012 at 10:00 AM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Wow! Unfortunately, there were no function keys else I would try to switch tty
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoppyFurr View Post
Enjoy playing around with it, and post any comments you have. I have an exam on Monday, so probably won't be working on this too much over the next day or two. But hopefully before the next week is up I'll have some form of working terminal for the Kindle Touch :3
There is a control code parser in the public domain for the VT500 terminal codes (we would only need the simpler VT100, but...).
Details in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=19

Last edited by knc1; 05-19-2012 at 10:43 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is a control code parser in the public domain for the VT500 terminal codes (we would only need the simpler VT100, but...).
Details in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=19
There is a termcap here too: http://code.google.com/p/crosscompile/downloads/list
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That one is infected with the GPL virus, but a bit of googling should find one that isn't.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That one is infected with the GPL virus, but a bit of googling should find one that isn't.
Ahh... thanks for the warning. That "GPL virus" would be hard to wash off after it stained your codebase.

When I use other people's ideas in my code, I provide links to where I got the info to prove that I did not get it from a GPL source and I am free to use it. And it is good karma to give user attribution even where not required (such as MIT and BSD licensed code which I study often, though I usually do a complete rewrite from scratch after I understand it, just to fit my condensed style, but I still give credit where credit is due). All the stuff posted here was trivial and original based on reading manuals and lots of experimentation, so little credit given, but my REAL code begins with a list of document IDs and URLs. A lot of my code is based on Thesis and research papers that are not encumbered by patents or GPL, so I like to link to them to "prove" that my code is "legal". I was trained young to write code that I can "defend in court to a jury of non-technical laypersons", and references and rationale for deviating from standards are critical components of that.

Anyway, in summary, it is a good idea to reference other works where you learned your ideas, to give credit to those on whose shoulders you stand, and to avoid the GPL like a plague (if you are a professional programmer such as myself).

GPL is fine for hobbiest programmers who do not want professional programmers (such as myself) to use their source code. GPL tools can be used commercially in certain circumstances. Commercial apps can run GPL console apps hidden in the background, connected via STDIN and STDOUT pipes (difficult if you cannot disable buffered I/O in the called app). Other forms of "linking" GPL and commercial apps are forbidden (including network sockets). To avoid distributing GPL with commercial code, it can be the installer's job to download the GPL portions of the commercial apps (or this can be automated by the installer). The biggest problem for professional programmers is that corporate policy often forbids downloading GPL code, to avoid a GPL infection contaminating their proprietary code base (or even bringing it into question)

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-20-2012 at 11:08 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboard, kindle touch