Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #46
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I know I've said this before, but user-selected/purchased dictionary lookup from within the read text (and down the track, encyclopaedia-lookup) is an essential feature for me. Without it, I would abandon ebooks altogether, as other benefits are not of significant enough value to me to abandon pbooks.

As such, I thank Abelturd raising the motion, and then others for seconding, thirding, fourthing...eleventying it, and add my own.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Do people on the Cybook find themselves using the dictionaries a lot though, despite the onerous button pressing to get to words?

- Ahi
Yes, a heck of a lot - and personally I don't find the interface to be "onerous" at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 AM   #48
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Do people on the Cybook find themselves using the dictionaries a lot though, despite the onerous button pressing to get to words?
I find it works pretty well considering the limitations of the device's physical interface. Sure it could be improved to be faster and more user-friendly, but I find it perfectly usable in this implementation.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #49
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I was just in a Fry's and an Asian girl who was interested in improving her English was looking at a few different E-Readers (I was trying to steer her to my beloved 505 ). The killer feature for her was a built in dictionary.

This is a great idea!
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #50
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, a heck of a lot - and personally I don't find the interface to be "onerous" at all.

How about when it presents a list of alternatives?

I don't know how to choose the one I want - so it's a lucky dip. Am I doing it wrong?

Just went to get an example, using the Chambers dictionary - looking up the word 'male' produces a pop-up window:

male
male

which one do I select?

Last edited by Sparrow; 07-23-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Adding example
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #51
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Just went to get an example, using the Chambers dictionary - looking up the word 'male' produces a pop-up window:

male
male

which one do I select?
The first one. Then, once you are in the dictionary you can page forward if the first definition does not match the text.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #52
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The first one. Then, once you are in the dictionary you can page forward if the first definition does not match the text.
Yep, but it might as well take me to the first one straightaway, without imposing the additional thumb trauma.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #53
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Yep, but it might as well take me to the first one straightaway, without imposing the additional thumb trauma.
It's worse when there are matches from several dictionaries, then you'd know that one "male" is from the Chambers dictionary and the other is from Collins, but which is which?

Sometimes the menu does not have the same word, I guess if you look "lay" up, you'd get to choose between "lay" and "lie", at least...

But this is getting
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #54
kaan
Connoisseur
kaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enoughkaan will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony prs-505
I would love to have several dictionary's in ePUB.
Please make it support UTF-8 or other international character sets.

Hmmm. Maybe even a couple of encyclopaedias
kaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's worse when there are matches from several dictionaries, then you'd know that one "male" is from the Chambers dictionary and the other is from Collins, but which is which?

Sometimes the menu does not have the same word, I guess if you look "lay" up, you'd get to choose between "lay" and "lie", at least...

But this is getting
Yes it is getting off topic. However a second topic could be appropriate for making dictionary access better. There are lots of good techniques to streamline the process without requiring a touch screen (Amazon K1 just looked up all the words on a line requiring only selecting a line of text) but again the idea of a dictionary for ePUB is an important first step. Not all the problems with using it have to be solved before it can be implemented. I believe it is a serious oversight not to have defined it earlier.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony may be having ePub dictionary look-up with the new 600. If so, all that needs be done is for Sony to license their approach to all the other reader makes using ADE and voila.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #57
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony may be having ePub dictionary look-up with the new 600.
It is going to be interesting to see what format they are using for the dictionary. One of the advantages of built-in dictionaries is that they don't need DRM, and so could be in any suitable format.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #58
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
These proprietary approaches to incorporating a dictionary (jetBook and Sony?) are fine as a stopgap measure. However, I hope Sony does not license their method to anyone (assuming that the 600 actually has a dictionary). We don't need more Balkanization in ebookdom. What we need is for the IDPF to do something about a standardized method of implementing dictionaries for epub. This has two major advantages over proprietary implementations: it will be an open standard that doesn't require licensing; you won't be limited to a few dictionaries, as everyone would be able to make or sell a compatible dictionary.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
These proprietary approaches to incorporating a dictionary (jetBook and Sony?) are fine as a stopgap measure. However, I hope Sony does not license their method to anyone (assuming that the 600 actually has a dictionary). We don't need more Balkanization in ebookdom. What we need is for the IDPF to do something about a standardized method of implementing dictionaries for epub. This has two major advantages over proprietary implementations: it will be an open standard that doesn't require licensing; you won't be limited to a few dictionaries, as everyone would be able to make or sell a compatible dictionary.
Even if it is a proprietary method for dictionaries, I would hope that Sony would at some point publish the dictionary format so others can make dictionaries. But at this point, all we have is speculation until the 600 is released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #60
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
We don't need more Balkanization in ebookdom
Just FYI, people from the Balkans find this term pretty offensive.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, epub, formats, standards