Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 AM   #1
Steven630
Groupie
Steven630 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite2
Full-screen refresh depending on language or font?

When I read Chinese books on my kpw2, it refreshes (full-screen) every 12 or 13 pages. But after I began to read an English book, it refreshed every five pages, sometimes every three. The Chinese font is "thinner" than Caecilia Condensed which I use for English text. I wonder if the change in refreshing frequency is due to the change in language or font. Thank you. (I use firmware 5.4.3 and a text size of four from the left).
Steven630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The stock reader triggers a full flash if there is too much 'damage' to repair. Usually, an image will do the trick (or a fancy chapter/scene break).

It also depends on the temperature: too hot or too cold, and the full flashing will be more common.

It also flashes on chapter breaks no matter what, IIRC.

But in optimal conditions, and pure text, the language/script of the text shouldn't matter, AFAIK.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Steven630
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The stock reader triggers a full flash if there is too much 'damage' to repair. Usually, an image will do the trick (or a fancy chapter/scene break).

It also depends on the temperature: too hot or too cold, and the full flashing will be more common.

It also flashes on chapter breaks no matter what, IIRC.

But in optimal conditions, and pure text, the language/script of the text shouldn't matter, AFAIK.
Thank you. I read pure text and it was not due to temperature. I'll see if it gets better in the next couple of days.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
For reference, even if that doesn't apply to the OP, the PW2 is trickier. It has a dual 'timeout': page number, and time. If no full screen refresh has been done in 14 pages and/or 7 minutes, the next screen refresh *will* be a black flash, no matter what.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
Steven630
Groupie

Didn't know that. Thank you. (Still refreshing every two or three pages).