Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #226
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
There are five at Amazon (U.S.): [Dead Man] - Athens, Barcelona, Istanbul, Naples & Trieste.
Thanks Skydog

But it's the ebook version of Dead Man in Malta I'm after, and Amazon has the pbook version.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #227
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Thanks Skydog

But it's the ebook version of Dead Man in Malta I'm after, and Amazon has the pbook version.
Books on Board has it from Soho, but the price is crazy...
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...Michael+Pearce

...Sony's price isn't quite as crazy, but still pretty high...
https://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/mi...00000000327577

B&N's price is between the two, but I think it's harder to get around geo restrictions there if you can at all.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #228
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Thanks Skydog

Oh, sorry. Well, I will keep my fingers crossed.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #229
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ Anemic Oak thanks for that.

The BoB version is an audio file.

And you're right can't get B and N from here.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #230
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
@ Anemic Oak thanks for that.

The BoB version is an audio file.

And you're right can't get B and N from here.
The BoB version I linked to isn't audio it's an ePub.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #231
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The BoB version I linked to isn't audio it's an ePub.
Ahh yes .... I use Japan as my country with BoB because they rarely have geo-restrictions - but on this occasion Japan is geo-restricted, lol!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #232
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Sufue thanks for the thumbs up re Caudwell.

I hadn't heard of her before and my local library, which is quite good re Crime and Mystery, doesn't stock her.

Kobo's got 3 of her titles (and so has Amazon in Kindle format), so I bought her first, thus was Adonis Murdered for $4.79 using our friend Vouchercodes40.

Wonder why the 4th in the series isn't in ebook format?

--------------------------
Edit:

I just found that Sony US has the 4th:

The Sybil in her Grave - $7.99

Even more curious why Amazon and Kobo don't have it.
Thus Was Adonis Murdered became available on Kindle today. The Sibyl in Her Grave is now also available from Amazon.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #233
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Sufue re the Dead Man series, I can only find them at Sony US, Soho Constable as the pub. And none of them are 'cheap'; and Sony doesn't seem to have many discount voucher schemes.

Do you know where else they may be?

The last edition my library got was Dead Man in Naples and there are 2 more since then.

---------------------
Edit: Beg pardon Dead Man in Malta is the only book I haven't read. I've read Dead Man in Barcelona and it precedes Naples anyway.
Apologies - I was on a plane all day yesterday....

I got my ebooks of this series from BN, mostly in the pre-agency days - some even so long ago that they were in .pdb format originally, which didn't last very long at BN. Because it was so expensive, I remember buying Malta very clearly, with my hand shaking as I hit the buy button. I had a gift card, so I rationalized the purchase , but Michael Pearce is one of probably only three or four authors I would have bought at that price, gift card or no.

I think your best bet, given geo restrictions, would be to wait for Sony to have one of their infrequent coupons, if your patience allows. Soho Constable is couponable here in the US, or at least was the last time I bought one of their books. Or, it shows up as $9.99 at Apple here in the US, don't know if you can use that. Otherwise, cross your fingers and hope your library gets it - can you suggest it to them?

P.S. Yes, also love Amelia Peabody, although I actually (slightly) prefer Peter's lesser known Vicky Bliss series for LOL.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #234
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Thus Was Adonis Murdered became available on Kindle today. The Sibyl in Her Grave is now also available from Amazon.
Thanks BelleZora.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #235
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Apologies - I was on a plane all day yesterday....

I got my ebooks of this series from BN, mostly in the pre-agency days - some even so long ago that they were in .pdb format originally, which didn't last very long at BN. Because it was so expensive, I remember buying Malta very clearly, with my hand shaking as I hit the buy button. I had a gift card, so I rationalized the purchase , but Michael Pearce is one of probably only three or four authors I would have bought at that price, gift card or no.

I think your best bet, given geo restrictions, would be to wait for Sony to have one of their infrequent coupons, if your patience allows. Soho Constable is couponable here in the US, or at least was the last time I bought one of their books. Or, it shows up as $9.99 at Apple here in the US, don't know if you can use that. Otherwise, cross your fingers and hope your library gets it - can you suggest it to them?

P.S. Yes, also love Amelia Peabody, although I actually (slightly) prefer Peter's lesser known Vicky Bliss series for LOL.
Hope your flight went well Sufue

Yep, request in with my library - though they never quite give back satisfactory responses - just stock answers which really don't mean much.

Ah yes Vicky Bliss lol

Peters must be getting on age wise, so maybe not too much writing left now. Golly though she's been a fantastic humour pick me up!!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #236
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Relative Danger by Charles Benoit is free at Apple, $.99 at the others (links from title link).
Now free at Amazon
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #237
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Crack in Everything: A Susan Callisto Mystery #1 is $.99 at Amazon, B&N, and Apple. (Links from main link).

Quote:
Description
Susan Callisto is pushing thirty and taking stock. The man in her life, Massachusetts police lieutenant Michael Benedict, has unaccountably left her–without a word of goodbye. Wounded but full of pride, Susan wonders why: Is she cold? Curt? Is her humor too dry? Then she shrugs and puts him by. Who needs a moody piece of work like Michael, anyway? Certainly not Susan who is far too busy making the transition from lawyer to political consultant to bother about love. Except on lonely summer nights when even the dimmest stars seem to wheel across the sky and a thousand crickets make their silky clatter in the grass. Susan misses Michael then.

Her consulting firm caters to entry level candidates, and while business is good, money is short. Late in the season, political novice Charles Renfrow begs Susan to help him run for mayor of Telford. But Renfrow is a scientist not a politician, and his pockets are far too deep. Susan is tempted–Renfrow knows how to seduce–but her suspicions, if not her libido, are aroused. When a friend insists Renfrow’s biotech company is dumping deadly toxic waste, Susan decides to find out the truth before committing herself.

Instead of truth, she finds a corpse, Renfrow’s gorgeous assistant Torie Moran. The murder weapon is a microtome blade, razor-sharp and accessible to anyone at Renfrow’s lab. After Torie’s murder, violence shadows Susan and people close to her. She is attacked in her driveway. An elderly client is beaten and left for dead. The young daughter of a candidate is abducted on her way to play camp. All sticky strands of a web with her name on it, Susan fears.

Then Renfrow himself turns up dead. Was he was the spider, the liar, the pitiless master of cause and effect? The murders bring Michael Benedict back into Susan’s life, and when another of her candidates is charged, she elbows her way into Michael’s investigation.

Working on parallel tracks, Susan and Michael uncover trails no one else wants to follow. While he explores mountains, she unearths a daunting truth about little Delia Baird. In the nick of time, Susan swoops in and rescues Delia from the person she now reckons has killed Renfrow and his assistant. But she’s only half right. Susan confronts Renfrow’s real killer and barely escapes with her life.

A few days later, on a blue and gold afternoon in Truro, Susan and Michael pry open their hearts and start to fall in love all over again.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #238
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
A Crack in Everything: A Susan Callisto Mystery #1 is $.99 at Amazon, B&N, and Apple. (Links from main link).
Also 99 cents - and couponable - at Kobo. With the current trusty VoucherCodes40 it becomes 59 cents.

I actually feel a little bit guilty ! OTOH the 99 cent (or less) first-in-series books from PPP have gotten me started on a couple of series where I've gone on to buy more, which is exactly the point, so I don't feel TOO guilty.

Link on same page as above...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #239
NightBird
Wizard

Two more $.99 ones. (Links inside main links.)

Predators: A Botswana Mystery #1 by Frederick Ramsay.

Quote:
Description
Leo Painter is the CEO of Earth Global, a large energy, mining, and real-estate development firm. At the behest of the State Department, he and a party of company executives travel to Botswana, a country rich in extractable resources that Leo—and the U.S. government—would love to access. Traveling with him are his stepson and his wife, a woman with a past and a predilection for trouble.

Sekoa is a male lion who shares with many of his bipedal enemies a form of HIV/AIDs. Weakened by the disease, he loses his place as the alpha male in his pride and now, dying and harassed by a pack of hyenas, seeks only a place to rest in peace.

Like the lion, Painter is pursued by corporate “hyenas,” and is searching for a place where he too can find some rest and build his dream: a resort and casino on Botswana’s Chobe River.
While a maneater stalks the savannah, greed and overarching ambition lead these players on a collision course as local police, a plucky female game ranger, and other authorities, hoteliers, and tribesmen vie over the spoils.
Morgue Mama: A Morgue Mama Mystery #1 by C.R. Corwin.

Quote:
Description
The morgue is that cold and sterile facility where medical examiners do their necessary but, to many of us, dreadful work. Less familiar is its dry and dusty version, usually housed in the bowels of newspaper buildings, where old story clippings are filed away. Dolly Madison Sprowls has been in charge of the Hannawa Herald-Union’s morgue for more than 40 years. She is gruff and salty, well past the age of retirement, the unchallenged queen of her ink-stained domain. Reporters call her Morgue Mama—but only behind her back. Maddy Sprowls’ well-ordered world gets turned upside-down when the paper hires 24-year-old Aubrey McGinty for its police beat. Aubrey loses no time in questioning the conviction of Sissy James for the murder of TV evangelist Buddy Wing. Yes, Sissy had quickly confessed to poisoning the famous preacher live on television—and the evidence does seem overwhelming—but the ambitious young reporter doesn’t believe Sissy is guilty. Why, then, her claim? Aubrey enlists Morgue Mama’s help and together they begin a harrowing search for the truth. Digging into the morgue’s file, they soon, and dangerously, uncover enough suspects to fill a church with those who do the devil’s work….
Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #240
NightBird
Wizard

$.99 each:

Love, Honour, and O’Brien: A Holly Love Mystery #1 by Jennifer Rowe.

Quote:
Description
She stared into the speckled mirror, wondering how she had come to this. How could she, Holly Love, apple of her parents’ eye, competent manipulator of invoices in Gorgon Office Supplies, have ended up alone and starving in a dead man’s flat? How indeed? Most reluctant heroines would throw in the towel at this point. But Holly Love is made of sterner stuff. She’s sworn to track down the cheating swine who ripped her life apart, and make him pay. But as she tries to keep her head in the face of a bizarre mystery, a gloomy old house, a hearse-driving Elvis impersonator and a gang of vengeful thugs – not to mention a garrulous and possibly possessed parrot – Holly is forced to come to terms with a great truth. However bad things seem, they can always get worse.
The Saint Valentine’s Day Murders: A Robert Amiss Mystery #2
by Ruth Dudley Edwards.

Quote:
Description
Life in a dismal bureaucratic cul-de-sac is not what Robert Amiss expects when the British civil service lends him for a year to the British Conservation Corporation. In fact, he finds himself condemned to a non-job in a backwater, managing disgruntled and demoralized time-servers who deeply resent him. Morale is not improved by the arrival of Melissa, a radical feminist lesbian separatist. Only Amiss’s sense of humour and the joys of visiting Rachel, his new love in Paris, keep him sane.

The malice, envy and anger that burgeons among the filing cabinets is first expressed in pettiness and then in unpleasant practical jokes. Then it escalates and finally culminates in callous murder by means of boxes of poisoned chocolates sent to the bureaucrats’ wives.

With the help of Ellis Pooley, a young detective obsessed with fictional sleuths, Amiss and his friend, Superintendent Milton, search for motives in an office where marital discord and broken dreams might drive anyone to murder.
Looking for Chet Baker: An Evan Horne Mystery #5 by Bill Moody.

Quote:
Description
Pianist Evan Horne’s European interlude lands him a gig in Amsterdam, where the old jazz clubs are alive and well. But here he unexpectedly finds himself reliving the last days of legendary trumpeter Chet Baker, who died under mysterious circumstances. Did Baker fall from a hotel balcony or was he pushed? The answers lead Horne on an odyssey into one of the greatest mysteries of the jazz world—and beyond.
Horne’s longtime buddy Ace Buffington, in Amsterdam researching the late jazz great’s life and tragic death, has disappeared. Ace’s trail parallels that of Baker’s last days, so Horne does what he does best: improvise. He finds himself following the same path into Baker’s dark—even dangerous—past and confronting his own deep-rooted melancholy. In the smoky clubs and on the mean, exotic streets of Amsterdam, Horne hits all the right notes in a world where playing it by heart can make you a legend as easily as it can get you killed.