Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #76
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have twice had to uninstall re install this poor quality v 1.10 software _ & also remove all previous versions in order to get proper 2 way sync between pc & amazon website.

Latest grief today was that a newly bought "free" book just refused to appear on PC. web site said sent - PC F5 sync appeared to run - but no new book!
Then, after deleting both the PC library & the program , & reinstalling it, and deleting the free purchase at amazon, and "buying" it again - I then got to the state where the new book would download but the PC reckoned that was my only book & that I had zero books in archive at amazon!

I tried unregister/ re-register... no joy... nothing helpful in amazon help pages...

I had to delete not only the program but also all Amazon data in app date folder, then re-install & re0register once again to get it working properly.

I note also that the "check for updates" option has been removed from the help menu, & there's no way to know if version on PC = latest version available at website.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #77
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Thanks for that idea Blossom, that's one I haven't heard but, alas, it had the same result. I've never used ATF Cleaner, but I do use CCleaner all the time and it's never been an issue. Anyway, I followed your instructions with the same result in the end so I'll continue to wait and see if a fix is found. The frustrating thing is that I've been seriously considering buying a Kindle Fire, but now I think I'll hold off on that, especially since I tried out a Google Nexus 7 at Staples the other day.
Another long shot you can try is to install Revo Uninstaller (Free Program) and uninstall K4PC with that. It removes all of the registry entries, etc.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Make sure you select the 'Free' Version.

Maybe you are missing something in your current uninstall. Then try to reinstall. I would also reboot your computer after each process (uninstall, install). Also, I always disable my Firewall and Anti Virus when installing programs. Good Luck.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #78
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
What I think I did (I tried lots of things!) was:
  1. Uninstall old version of K4PC
  2. Install latest version of K4PC
  3. Deregister my Amazon account from within K4PC settings (removing all current licenced content)
  4. Re-register my same Amazon account from within K4PC settings
  5. Sync my archived books
At no time did I do anything with registrations on the Amazon website itself.

Cheers,
Simon.
Hmmm, thanks, perhaps I'll try that. Although I am tempted to just download new version and try that first. It seems to have worked for artig, as well as others.

In the meantime, I installed K4PC on my desktop last evening as I was just not up to potentially spending several hours trying to install new version on laptop. As K4PC had never been installed on it, it went well. Still have to install Calibre, etc., and see if certain "things" work, but from what most other people have said, they do.

What's kind of strange is the variety of contortions/gyrations many people here have had to go through to make the new version work. Assuming they have gotten it to work, that is.

Going to the Kindle Forum on Amazon shows that others are having similar problems.

Seems as if Amazon kind of messed up on this one. First by simply having older versions stop working with no message about needing to update (yes, there were the notifications earlier, but Amazon had said that was a mistake and didn't mean anything) and then making installation of the new version very difficult for many people. Upgrading to newer versions of a software is generally supposed to be painless and easy.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #79
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Appreciate the suggestion Sadievan, but still didn't work. I do like that Revo uninstaller program though, think I'll keep that one around. I do appreciate the help though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Another long shot you can try is to install Revo Uninstaller (Free Program) and uninstall K4PC with that. It removes all of the registry entries, etc.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Make sure you select the 'Free' Version.

Maybe you are missing something in your current uninstall. Then try to reinstall. I would also reboot your computer after each process (uninstall, install). Also, I always disable my Firewall and Anti Virus when installing programs. Good Luck.

Carol
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #80
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Appreciate the suggestion Sadievan, but still didn't work. I do like that Revo uninstaller program though, think I'll keep that one around. I do appreciate the help though.
have you tried amazon's own tech support , rather than discuss in their forum - they will phone you back for free & stay on the line to try to fix the K4PC problem.

try also going to hidden folder users / yourname / appdata/ local & delete the amazon folder there, then start over - worked for me.

also, make absolutely sure you don't still have another , older version of K4PC installed somewhere else, I had 2 versions in 2 different locations at one point.

suggest search entire C drive for Kindle and also search entire drive for Amazon, to be extra sure.

Last edited by cybmole; 08-08-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #81
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, I'm glad to see that it works for some people anyway. I've been involved in a discussion on the Amazon discussion site about this issue and it appears lots of people are having this problem with no fix in site so far.

When I double click on my Kindle for pc icon, whether it's the shortcut on my desktop, or the exe file in the start menu, nothing happens. I see the hourglass icon next to my cursor for a second and then nothing. I've deinstalled kindle for pc multiple times, deleted folders, cleaned out registry entries, deregistered my kindle, moved the contents folder to a different location, all kinds of stuff. I've downloaded kindle for pc from amazon multiple times, tried to install it using run as administrator and still nothing.

At this point, I'm glad the books I had actually purchased I ran through calibre, otherwise I would have no access to them. Oh well, I did enjoy the occasional freebie from Amazon, but I guess no more.
OK. I may have a fix for you. Was at my SIL's house and had to install k4PC on her laptop (Win7). Her old one would not open. I installed the new version downloaded from Amazon's site. Restarted the computer and clicked on the icon and had the same results as you. A flash and then nothing. When I would start it from the Start menu it would open.

Here's what I then did.

1. Delete the icon from the desktop. Don't uninstall K4PC just delete the icon.

2. Go to Start\Programs\Amazon\Kindle. Right mouse click on the kindle app and drag to desktop. Click 'create shortcut here'.

Now when I click the icon, K4PC opens up fine.

Hope this helps.

Carol
Old 08-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #82
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting fix, but it didn't work for me. Oh, and cybmole, sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier. I tried Amazon tech support at first but became frustrated with the lady after about a half hour of trying to understand what she was saying and explaining to her that I had already tried the things she was suggesting. When she told me the problem must be with my computer I gave up and that's when I went to the Amazon discussion boards and found that there were many others experiencing the same frustrations.

Like I said, hopefully a fix will be found. The books I purchased through them had already been, umm, backed up, so I'm not out any money in the deal as I still can access those books. It's that I do download a lot of the freebies I see posted up and since this started, I am unable to access any of them. In the meantime I just won't make any purchases until this is straightened out.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #83
cybmole
Wizard

i'm still of the view that if you remove every trace from your PC, then re-install, then all will work - otherwise amazon would have thousands of complaints, not hundreds, and ibug news would be all over the tech web news site.

have you checked that all app data folders are gone. from your previous descriptions it seems that K4PC program is starting, looking for some local data & either not finding it or finding invalid data, then quitting. although the exe is a black box, it clearly uses app data folder to manage syncing, though registration to your amazon account is stored elsewhere, in registry. the kindle contents folder in documents is jsust a local document store.
FYI: my appdata/local/amazon folder has 6 subfolders with all sorts of strange files in there.

launching K4PC while you have task manager window open would confirm that program runs briefly, then stops. doing the same with your internet connection temp.disabled would test whether program even tries to go online ( as you'd get a different error message ? )

do you have access to another pc anywhere to check that a fresh install on a different PC works OK..
I would also, when starting over, change the friendly name for your K4PC on amazon web page, just to rule out that webpage is trying to deliver to an old install.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:44 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
When she told me the problem must be with my computer I gave up and that's when I went to the Amazon discussion boards and found that there were many others experiencing the same frustrations.
It clearly is something to do with your computer, given that only a very small number of people have experienced problems with this update. I don't mean your computer is faulty, but something on it is preventing the software from running correctly. I agree wih cymole's advice above.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #85
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It clearly is something to do with your computer, given that only a very small number of people have experienced problems with this update. I don't mean your computer is faulty, but something on it is preventing the software from running correctly. I agree wih cymole's advice above.
poor service from amazon tech support though - they should have escalated from a clueless front line customer services to a techie who actually knows what goes on inside the .exe.
They wrote it, they should take the time to trace the incompatibility/ provide some diagnostic/debug tools

I have had far better quality support from authors of $45 shareware, who will go to the trouble of creatiing one-off test builds with extra diagnostics, in order to resolve similar issues - you'd think Amazon could afford to do the same!

I'd continue to bug amazon, by phone, e-mail & via public forum until they sort it.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #86
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I'm just wondering if there is something in common with the computers that aren't able to run the latest version. Those of you having difficulty with K4PC, which version of Windows are you using?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #87
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I am using Windows 8 developer preview and it worked very smoothly. Uninstall the old version, install the new version, and I was set to go. Everything works fine.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #88
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Interesting fix, but it didn't work for me. Oh, and cybmole, sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier. I tried Amazon tech support at first but became frustrated with the lady after about a half hour of trying to understand what she was saying and explaining to her that I had already tried the things she was suggesting. When she told me the problem must be with my computer I gave up and that's when I went to the Amazon discussion boards and found that there were many others experiencing the same frustrations.

Like I said, hopefully a fix will be found. The books I purchased through them had already been, umm, backed up, so I'm not out any money in the deal as I still can access those books. It's that I do download a lot of the freebies I see posted up and since this started, I am unable to access any of them. In the meantime I just won't make any purchases until this is straightened out.
When you installed K4PC did it start the App and open when the install was done?

Carol
Old 08-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #89
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie

sadievan, no it doesn't start when the install is done. The install screen disappears and then nothing happens. As far as uninstalling all traces of the program, I'm not sure what else to look for. I'm fairly handy around computers, I've built my own, done some minor programing and tweaks, so I know how to find and delete hidden files, which I've done more than once. I'm running windows home 7 premium, I guess I can see if my wife will let me borrow her laptop and try installing it there. I haven't tried to run it with task manager up to see if the process is starting yet, I may try that here in a bit.

While I don't necessarily disagree that there may be something going on with my computer that's causing the problem. I just have a problem with the fact that the program was running fine one second, then I do the upgrade, and then it doesn't run at all. Seems like some installer issues on the part of Amazon. On another point, while it doesn't appear that there's a huge number of people with the problem, reading on the Amazon discussion board it seems rather remarkable that the people with a problem, have the exact same problem, and it occurred at the same moment.

I do want to let everyone know that I appreciate the help and suggestions I've received here. I do intend to keep looking into getting it working again, it's just not that high of a priority to me as I do have access to the books I've purchased so it's not like I'm out any money or anything. I'm sure at some point I'll get it working either through finding and fixing the issue, or even possibly an update or fix by Amazon themselves. It's not that big of an issue for me as I don't even own a Kindle, I just use the Kindle for PC app to download the occasional freebie I see posted on here and convert it to read on my Kobo. I'll just hold off on purchasing any books through Amazon until such time as I've got it working again.

Last edited by IcecreamLtDan; 08-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #90
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
sadievan, no it doesn't start when the install is done. The install screen disappears and then nothing happens. As far as uninstalling all traces of the program, I'm not sure what else to look for. I'm fairly handy around computers, I've built my own, done some minor programing and tweaks, so I know how to find and delete hidden files, which I've done more than once. I'm running windows home 7 premium, I guess I can see if my wife will let me borrow her laptop and try installing it there. I haven't tried to run it with task manager up to see if the process is starting yet, I may try that here in a bit.

While I don't necessarily disagree that there may be something going on with my computer that's causing the problem. I just have a problem with the fact that the program was running fine one second, then I do the upgrade, and then it doesn't run at all. Seems like some installer issues on the part of Amazon. On another point, while it doesn't appear that there's a huge number of people with the problem, reading on the Amazon discussion board it seems rather remarkable that the people with a problem, have the exact same problem, and it occurred at the same moment.

I do want to let everyone know that I appreciate the help and suggestions I've received here. I do intend to keep looking into getting it working again, it's just not that high of a priority to me as I do have access to the books I've purchased so it's not like I'm out any money or anything. I'm sure at some point I'll get it working either through finding and fixing the issue, or even possibly an update or fix by Amazon themselves. It's not that big of an issue for me as I don't even own a Kindle, I just use the Kindle for PC app to download the occasional freebie I see posted on here and convert it to read on my Kobo. I'll just hold off on purchasing any books through Amazon until such time as I've got it working again.
If you start your computer in Safe Mode will K4PC open? If it does you could try going into msconfig and disabling startup programs to see if something is interfering with it.

Carol