Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #931
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm finishing up a Campion right now, it would be #173 for the year if I finished it, but I don't think it's going to happen. So my total for the year will be 172 books read (including 2 abandoned). But not including several shorter works that would add another couple to the total. But what I'm happiest about with this year's challenge is that I managed to not lose track and stop recording them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #932
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I did it! I finished both books and all my subgoals before the new year, just in the nick of time. Whew! Now, time to party.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:39 PM   #933
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I did it! I finished both books and all my subgoals before the new year, just in the nick of time. Whew! Now, time to party.
Congrats!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:17 PM   #934
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Congratulations, Sun Surfer! Best Wishes for 2015!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:52 PM   #935
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Yay! Congrats and Happy New Year!
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #936
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thank you all! If I had paced things out even only slightly better it wouldn't have been so rough at the very end but I knew was going to have extra free time the last two weeks of the year and I think I let myself slack a little too much before then because of it. Anyway, now that's all so last year.

Good luck to all of you in 2015!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:45 AM   #937
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I managed to surpass my goal by 1 book! Got to do better in 2015, 60 books to read!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #938
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
LOL, I did the same as Stephjk, and read 136 books in 2014, one up from 135 in 2013.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #939
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm finishing up a Campion right now
I'm waiting for the remaining books in the series to come out as ebooks on 5th Feb before starting my reading of the series. I hate reading incomplete series!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:07 AM   #940
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I add books to my list at Goodreads as I think of them, but I generally keep it to significant titles and not all of them and I have little if any sense of dates.
I do the same - there are still hundreds, if not thousands, that I read in my late teens and early adulthood (when I had time to read a two or three books a day, sometimes more) that I can't remember, and when I stumble across them now I'll add them to the list, but it will never be complete. I have also resisted adding any children's books (Enid Blyton's mysteries, the Hardy Boys etc. etc.) as that's going too far, IMO ).

Congratulations on your challenge achievements, btw, very impressive, and you definitely shouldn't beat yourself up over the sub-challenges. Wish I could even approach your total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I went on a mass scanning spree when I joined GR in 2011, and I started logging my progress there as soon as I found the feature. I also started religiously adding my new purchases as I made them, just because it's easier that way.
I joined in 2011 too, and have been doing exactly the same. Just wish I had kept a record of my reading before then. I have reached the age where I forget the titles of books I have read previously, and being able to check if I have already read a book is invaluable.

I topped out the year with 76 books read (against a target of 75) so I was pleased with that, and also beat my average page-count target. Not as many books as I would like to read (I managed 110 in 2011) but given where I am in life and the distractions I have, I'm happy with where I am .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #941
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I do the same - there are still hundreds, if not thousands, that I read in my late teens and early adulthood (when I had time to read a two or three books a day, sometimes more) that I can't remember, and when I stumble across them now I'll add them to the list, but it will never be complete. I have also resisted adding any children's books (Enid Blyton's mysteries, the Hardy Boys etc. etc.) as that's going too far, IMO ).
I've decided that this year I'm going to make an effort to add a few books at a time to my Goodreads list. Just in my bookshelves, I've got hundreds of books that I've read. Still, as you say it will never be complete, nor would I even want it to be. All those mysteries I used to devour!

That said, I don't know quite what to do about authors who were of some importance to me (albeit not to the literary world) whose entire œuvre I've read, but it would be faintly ridiculous to list all their books. Angela Thirkell, just as one example - I greatly enjoyed her more than thirty novels (some more than others, of course), but I can hardly differentiate among them now. She herself had her literary doppelgänger, Mrs. Morland, say about her books, "Not but what they are all the same, because my publisher says that pays better." On a higher plane, how about C.P. Snow's Strangers and Brothers sequence? I was mesmerized by those novels and I think I've listed one; do I just go ahead and add the other ten?

It's all just for fun, of course, I'm not really losing any sleep over it.

Quote:
Congratulations on your challenge achievements, btw, very impressive, and you definitely shouldn't beat yourself up over the sub-challenges. Wish I could even approach your total.

<snip>

I topped out the year with 76 books read (against a target of 75) so I was pleased with that, and also beat my average page-count target. Not as many books as I would like to read (I managed 110 in 2011) but given where I am in life and the distractions I have, I'm happy with where I am .
Thank you and congratulations to you, too. The only person we're in competition with is ourselves, of course; I'm delighted that my reading has become increasingly rewarding now that it's more focused and I keep track.

Last edited by issybird; 01-13-2015 at 09:44 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #942
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Keeping track has made me more conscious of what I read and I try to read a better variety and expand my horizons. That makes me very thankful for the challenges. It makes searching for books that much more fun and finishing a book that much more satisfying.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #943
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm waiting for the remaining books in the series to come out as ebooks on 5th Feb before starting my reading of the series. I hate reading incomplete series!
And that doesn't bother me at all. If I waited until a series was complete, I'd miss out on some wonderful books in series which the author is still contributing to. And I don't have a problem with reading some books in a series in paper and others in electronic format. The only format that I don't seem to be able to mix in is audio. If I start a series in audio, I seem to *need* to continue with the audio editions.

I find it interesting and stimulating to compare with other readers -- likes, dislikes, pet peeves, habits, etc. I look at the books that someone is reading and see some I'd like and some I'd detest and I wonder how someone could *possibly* like both! I certainly find more books to add to my "I want to read this" list -- particularly when someone posts a thoughtful review which resonates with me.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #944
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just for completeness sake I have updated the 2014 Annual Reading Challenge List thread with all 76 books. Average page count was 339, which is okay, and beat my target of 300 (as previously stated, I did have a few short stories in my list, which is why I set the average page challenge as well) .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote