Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2024, 05:48 PM   #1
Ancanar
Ancanar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hyphenate This doesn't hyphen "as much as it should"

Hello.
I use hyphenate this on my ebooks but although it makes the words hyhen here and there it still does not make all spaces between words equally white as I expected it to do. You can see on the attached screenshot that although some words are hyphenated the space marked in red is much wider than the one marked in green (it's from Calibre preview but looks exactly the same on my Kindle). Is the way to set up the plugin to make spaces equally wide like in real paper books?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	438065509_7779791412051822_7949740060718451623_n.png
Views:	82
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	207535  
Ancanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 06:17 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancanar View Post
Hello.
I use hyphenate this on my ebooks but although it makes the words hyhen here and there it still does not make all spaces between words equally white as I expected it to do. You can see on the attached screenshot that although some words are hyphenated the space marked in red is much wider than the one marked in green (it's from Calibre preview but looks exactly the same on my Kindle). Is the way to set up the plugin to make spaces equally wide like in real paper books?
No. It has to follow it's rules for hyphenation. While you might be able to find a better hyphenation dictionary, if you want to have a fully justified experience such as most printed books offer, you need to use microjustification where the width of spaces between words and the character spacing within words are both modified for every line requiring justification.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:35 AM   #3
Ancanar
Ancanar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
if you want to have a fully justified experience such as most printed books offer, you need to use microjustification where the width of spaces between words and the character spacing within words are both modified for every line requiring justification.
This will make all spaces equally wide? Is it possible to do it in Calibre?
Ancanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:46 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
There is no way to make all spaces exactly the same. Not even in a printed book (pBook) can the spaces be makes the same.

You can make the spaces smaller if you use ChareInk6SP as your font.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 07:25 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no way to make all spaces exactly the same. Not even in a printed book (pBook) can the spaces be makes the same.
Unless you WANT an typewriter simulation and no justification, i.e. left justified=ragged right on L to R languages.

No doubt a too narrrow/small screen or too big font makes things worse. That's why I like the 8″ ereader 4:3 approx screen. The 9.7, 10.1, 10.3, 10.9 etc are too big even apart from the extra weight. The 8 and 7 inches are more similar to a paperback. The 6″ and 5″ good for a pocket, but that bit too small, so at same size font as on 8″ the hyphenation becomes worse.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 03:26 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No. That requires the renderer (the software that actually puts the text on the screen) to have that capability. Eink ereaders are low power devices which do not have the CPU power to microjustify without extreme slowness in displaying a page. Adobe's InDesign will do that for books that are intended for print or PDF and it chews up CPU cycles on an i9 like they were free.
Old 04-13-2024, 03:45 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Adobe's InDesign will do that for books that are intended for print or PDF and it chews up CPU cycles on an i9 like they were free.
Also if you make a PDF that is done only once, but PDFs are for an exact page size so need a sufficiently large and high resolution tablet to exactly show the paper version.

PDFs are thus electronic documents but not ebooks which are meant to be only an approximation that can reflow to any size screen with user selected size, margins and font.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:39 PM   #8
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
No. That requires the renderer (the software that actually puts the text on the screen) to have that capability. Eink ereaders are low power devices which do not have the CPU power to microjustify without extreme slowness in displaying a page. Adobe's InDesign will do that for books that are intended for print or PDF and it chews up CPU cycles on an i9 like they were free.
Interesting topic. I also did wonder what causes some discrepancies regarding hyphenations in various readers and devices. In Kindle and in Pocketbooks default readers Hyphenations work in fairly the same way, they are rarely utilised, and often leave plenty of space in lines. Koreader on Pocketbook fares a lot better, though. It helps that it also has various font setting, like kerning and spacing, that allow higher degree of text tweaking.

I've Indesign in my package, but my knowledge of it is extremely limited. How would one go at converting reflowable book into fixed pdf with these microadjusted hyphenations in mind?
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 08:31 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
I've Indesign in my package, but my knowledge of it is extremely limited. How would one go at converting reflowable book into fixed pdf with these microadjusted hyphenations in mind?
Microjustification tries to avoid hypenation as much as possible, there is no such thing as microadjusted hyphenations. By playing with the spacing between words and the spacing between characters in a word using a fixed line length, the need to hyphenate is greatly reduced. Unfortunately, this conflicts with basic idea of a reflowable ebook with adjustable font size, line spacing, etc. You can microjustify a fixed layout epub but that is pretty much the same as creating a PDF. What you have is a page so no changing font size, line spacing, margins, etc.