Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #151
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...you ate Skippy?

Oh well, no big deal. I only watched the show to see Clancy
A treat for you!

TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #152
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Not heard of many complaints of people eating this secret "horse" meat over the past couple of years. Seems more people like horse than they would like to admit......

Culture: Religion with no afterlife.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They were saying that the 47 tonnes of meat involved sold for half a million Euros more as beef than it would have sold for as horsemeat. There's big money involved in this business.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #153
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They were saying that the 47 tonnes of meat involved sold for half a million Euros more as beef than it would have sold for as horsemeat. There's big money involved in this business.
But that would mean that the quality of beef in question (we're not talking sirloin steak!) must sell on for just over 10 Euro (£9) per kilogram more than the equivalent horse.

I can buy Waitrose British beef lean mince for about £9/kg, and their ordinary beef mince for £7/kg.

I think that the half a million euros must be the gross value of the horse sold on as beef, not the net profit on it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #154
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But that would mean that the quality of beef in question (we're not talking sirloin steak!) must sell on for just over 10 Euro (£9) per kilogram more than the equivalent horse.

I can buy Waitrose British beef lean mince for about £9/kg, and their ordinary beef mince for £7/kg.

I think that the half a million euros must be the gross value of the horse sold on as beef, not the net profit on it.
You're right - the numbers don't add up. I must be misremembering the details; I suspect that your interpretation is right. But however you look at it, there's big money involved. This is organised crime, not mere accidental mislabelling of a product.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #155
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That's expensive compared to here. Lean hamburger costs ~£3.9/kg and regular costs ~£3.3/kg.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #156
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's expensive compared to here. Lean hamburger costs ~£3.9/kg and regular costs ~£3.3/kg.
It must be admitted that Waitrose is considered a slightly more expensive supermarket than the other major stores. Asda have ordinary mince at £4/kg and lean at £6.50/kg.

However, I'm not surprised. British cattle are not permitted growth hormone nor prophylactic antibiotics, and the cost of land (& feed) is higher.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote