Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Exclamation iRex 800 quickly discharging

I've got it permanently in standby.
According to the description from iRex, after some time in standby (1 hour?), it shuts off.
Still, after roundabout 4 days, battery right now was entirely discharged, without any usage at all. Can't be normal or can it? My Kindles "survive" weeks switched off. So either it doesn't switch off but remains in standby. Or it still runs dry even when switched off.
Same happened to me with BeBook Neo about a week ago (*), whereas nook for example still shows more than 60% battery. And I always charge them at the very same time for the very same duration.

(*) Can it be the WACOM tablets? Maybe they DO consume significant amounts of energy? I remember, tablets some years ago had been in permanent active mode, when the stylus hadn't been inserted.

EDIT: Poll about the standby time users experience: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76866

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-12-2010 at 01:22 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
JoanD
JoanD began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle DX, Irex dr800sg, PB902
I am having the same problem.
JoanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD View Post
I am having the same problem.
I've got the 800S, so it can't be about the 3G.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've got the 800S, so it can't be about the 3G.
Sounds odd - and wrong. After four days with at least a couple of hours use each day I'm not going below 70%, and I posted earlier that after being away for three days and not touching the unit the battery had dropped by 13% - even that seemed a bit of a heavy drain. Are IREX saying anything?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Sounds odd - and wrong. After four days with at least a couple of hours use each day I'm not going below 70%, and I posted earlier that after being away for three days and not touching the unit the battery had dropped by 13% - even that seemed a bit of a heavy drain. Are IREX saying anything?
I'll carefully track this time. I'm not sure when I've used it for the last time. This time, I'll remember the date when it was fully loaded and will check battery consumption every day.
I've got the feeling, the less I use my readers, the more energy they consume...
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
JoanD
JoanD began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle DX, Irex dr800sg, PB902
Mine is in airplane mode, and still discharging too fast
JoanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Perhaps it's inaccuracy in measuring the charge, not the battery itself? I left mine off for a day or so on standby and saw it go down from nearly full to 82%. Plugged in the USB for about two minutes to side-load an ebook and it came up at 96%. It sure the heck didn't recharge that much in two minutes!

Edit: there may have been a full reboot between those readings as well. I can't recall.

Last edited by Dellaster; 03-12-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks for bringing this up because I have a feeling that mine was discharging very quickly as well. Like I posted earlier in another thread, my battery would drop over night quickly as well. I think no one really want to mention the elephant in the room. I mentioned in another thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
Okay, I set it on standby and with airplane mode turned on last night. It showed 97% charge. Now I just check it is down to 94%, a 3% drop. I am wondering whether this is just my unit or normal.
I think I'll do some testing to see how many page turns it take for it to drop 1%.
It was treated as this is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Sounds normal. Standby is not "off", so it's still drawing some power.
I am wondering whether anyone know how to turn the DR800 off instead off going to suspend mode.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
Perhaps it's inaccuracy in measuring the charge, not the battery itself? I left mine off for a day or so on standby and saw it go down from nearly full to 82%. Plugged in the USB for about two minutes to side-load an ebook and it came up at 96%. It sure the heck didn't recharge that much in two minutes!

Edit: there may have been a full reboot between those readings as well. I can't recall.
That's a good point. Shaggy has mentioned elsewhere, and maybe IREX also say (I can't remember), that it takes a number of complete charge/discharge cycles to calibrate the metering of the battery.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've got it permanently in standby.
According to the description from iRex, after some time in standby (1 hour?), it shuts off.
Still, after roundabout 4 days, battery right now was entirely discharged, without any usage at all. Can't be normal or can it?
The first time I charged mine it went for 2 weeks before I needed to charge it again. That included a couple hours of reading per day.

Last edited by Shaggy; 03-12-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's a good point. Shaggy has mentioned elsewhere, and maybe IREX also say (I can't remember), that it takes a number of complete charge/discharge cycles to calibrate the metering of the battery.
They've said 5 cycles for other devices, I don't know if they've said anything specifically for the DR800 though. Lasting only 4 days sounds like the meter would be WAY off if that's really the only problem.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I am wondering whether anyone know how to turn the DR800 off instead off going to suspend mode.
It will only turn off if the battery gets low, otherwise it is in suspend/standby/etc (whatever we're calling it).
Old 03-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post

I've had it charged over night. I don't rely on the scale, but on the time. Maybe I overcharge sometimes, but it shouldn't have such a huge impact.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this up because I have a feeling that mine was discharging very quickly as well. Like I posted earlier in another thread, my battery would drop over night quickly as well. I think no one really want to mention the elephant in the room. I mentioned in another thread,

It was treated as this is normal.

iRex stated, you can't turn it off. You only can go into standby. Either by briefly flicking the switch or by letting it go into standby on its own.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I've had mine for 6 weeks or so now, I certainly have more than 5 cycles already.
In the beginning, when posting my thread,I was using it more frequently. But now, when rarely using it, the drop in battery level becomes more obvious. And this morning it even was down entirely.