Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-01-2015, 10:51 PM   #1
howarddcb
howarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Nook GlowLight Plus now handles Overdrive books

I checked for software updates tonight for the Nook Glowlight Plus (from the settings screen on the Nook; not on the website). There was one available, so I downloaded it (version 45.1.14), which added Adobe DRM support. I read library books from Overdrive all the time, so this was good news.

However, being B&N, nothing is simple. So here are my steps to reading a library book.

(1) On the Nook, in the settings menu, under Adobe DRM, enter your Adobe ID and password. (More on this later!!!)

(2) Go to Overdrive, check out a library book as usual, and download the .acsm file. Click on that, and Adobe Digital Editions will open as usual.

Now for the fun part (this is for a Mac OSX):

The Mac will not see the Glowlight Plus when plugged in; to actually transfer the book (the epub file downloaded by Adobe Digital Editions; not the acsm file), you need to download the Android File Transfer software (just google it). Now when you plug in the Nook, you will see a root directory, under which there is a My Documents directory. Put the book there, disconnect the Nook, and now you can read it. It will appear under Books and also under MyFiles in the Nook Library menu.

So what's the catch? (This is Barnes & Nobles) - The Nook only accepts an Adobe ID. If you use the Overdrive app on an iPad or something similar, you might be using an Overdrive ID. The email addresses can be the same, but the IDs are not the same! Open Adobe Digital Editions and look at the Authorization information. It should have your email address, and then say AdobeID. If it says Overdive, you will have to deauthorize the computer and then reauthorize with an AdobeID. Note that the Overdrive apps can also accept the AdobeID, although they suggest using an OverdriveID.

Note that I'm running ADE Version 3.0, which is out of date, so your experiences may be slightly different.
howarddcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This doesn't sound like anything changed.

That Adobe ID menu was available form the beginning, but what we couldn't do is get Adobe DE to recognize the Glowlight Plus as a valid device.

Has that changed?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
howarddcb
howarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of ithowarddcb has read War And Peace ... all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

That Adobe ID menu was available form the beginning, but what we couldn't do is get Adobe DE to recognize the Glowlight Plus as a valid device.

Has that changed?
No - ADE does not recognize the Glowlight Plus. You have to use the Android File Transfer software to transfer library books (or other ePubs) to the Glowlight Plus. You still need ADE to download library books from Overdrive based libraries.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Seems it's still in the magic unicorn release stage, the 4.5.1 update isn't on the GLPs software update page.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Ok...I now have the updated firmware on my GLP. I signed on with my Adobe ID on my GLP.

now I checked out a Overdrive book and transferred (nook directory) it to my Nook. the book is NOT showing up on my GLP.

has anyone had success with a lib book?
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you place the library book in the My Documents directory?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Did you place the library book in the My Documents directory?
I just checked and yes it is in the "My Documents" folder.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
zebradude
Addict

Ah. the file was corrupt. I redownloaded it and now it worked. no Cover?...hmmm...
Old 12-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
howarddcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by howarddcb View Post
No - ADE does not recognize the Glowlight Plus. You have to use the Android File Transfer software to transfer library books (or other ePubs) to the Glowlight Plus. You still need ADE to download library books from Overdrive based libraries.
More Barnes & Nobles frustration. I loaded some additional library books on my Glowlight Plus (just checked out from the library), and they all show "Error opening book. This book has been returned".

I think I'll buy a Kindle PaperWhite.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Has that changed?
No, the Adobe ID menu was not available before. It's a new setting option that has been added with the firmware update.

You don't need Adobe DE to recognize the Glowlight Plus and authorize it. You just have to enter your Adobe ID and password in the settings directly on the Nook device.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
Ah. the file was corrupt. I redownloaded it and now it worked. no Cover?...hmmm...
Yes, the no cover is annoying. But, at least books work now!
Old 12-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by howarddcb View Post
More Barnes & Nobles frustration. I loaded some additional library books on my Glowlight Plus (just checked out from the library), and they all show "Error opening book. This book has been returned".

I think I'll buy a Kindle PaperWhite.
My library books were successful. Have you checked the time and date settings on your Nook to make sure they are correct? That's an odd error message. The closest thing I can think of is that there is a disconnect between when the book expires and what the date/time is on your Nook.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
howarddcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My library books were successful. Have you checked the time and date settings on your Nook to make sure they are correct? That's an odd error message. The closest thing I can think of is that there is a disconnect between when the book expires and what the date/time is on your Nook.
Wait a few days and try adding some more library books and let me know what happens. The first set of books I loaded were OK; it was only a few days later that I had trouble.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

BN has now published instructions on the Glowlight Plus support page regarding the process to transfer and read Adobe DRM ePUB & PDF files.

http://nook.barnesandnoble.com/u/sup...plus/379004439
Old 12-30-2015, 08:39 PM   #15
Tim1979
Tim1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GLP
I am having the same issue with library books. It worked for a couple of them and then it stopped working. I'm wondering if it stopped once the first book had actually expired but that might not be connected. I talked to BN support on web chat. they tried to tell me that it was a problem with my library until I told them that these books work with my 1st gen Nook and I have seen others with the same problem with the GLP. after that she very quickly said that they know the update has problems and they are working to fix them. I asked if them releasing a defective product meant that I can return it even though it is past 14 days and she said no.

Someone told me that you can use Calibre to get around this but it hasn't worked for me yet. Calibre isn't talking to my nook GLP at all.

has anyone come up with a way around this issue? I have several library books on hold and I'd like to download them when they become available.
Thanks.
Tim
Tim1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, glowlight plus, overdrive