Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
almayer
almayer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
toc & kindle chapter markers

Hello everyone,
here is my question:

my epub has a toc with different headings (h1 h2 h3) and I'd like to have for my kindle the same toc but only the h1 chapter markers in the progress bar.

Is it possible in Sigil or is something I can get only with the software I use to convert the epub into mobi ?

I hope I've made myself clear.
Thanks.
almayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by almayer View Post
Hello everyone,
here is my question:

my epub has a toc with different headings (h1 h2 h3) and I'd like to have for my kindle the same toc but only the h1 chapter markers in the progress bar.

Is it possible in Sigil or is something I can get only with the software I use to convert the epub into mobi ?

I hope I've made myself clear.
Thanks.
Edit the TOC in Sigle and remove the unwanted headers.

PS; This only nremoves the headers from the TOC and not the document.

Last edited by crutledge; 07-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
almayer

thanks crutledge but I'm afraid I haven't made myself clear.
I meant to keep the toc with h1 h2 h3 ... but to have at the same time only the h1 chapter markers in the kindle progress bar.
Maybe I could create in Sigil an html TOC and then edit the toc.ncx removing the h2 and h3, but it's a little bit long and I don't know if it would work.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Kindle derives its marks on the progress bar from the toc.ncx file. Edit that as you want. The rest of the epub can stay as it is.

At present, or at least the last time I checked, the Kindle only pays attention to the top level of the toc.ncx. That is, it doesn't pay attention to the lower levels of a nested toc. So you could keep the h1 chapters at the top level and the others nested beneath it and kindle will ignore them. However, this may change in the future (or it may already have as I don't have the latest Kindles).
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
almayer

thanks Jeff L
I've just tried but all the levels (top and lower) of a nested toc are marks on the kindle progress bar.

P.S. I have a "kindle 3" and I use Calibre to convert the epub into an "old mobi".
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks Jeff L
I've just tried but all the levels (top and lower) of a nested toc are marks on the kindle progress bar.

P.S. I have a "kindle 3" and I use Calibre to convert the epub into an "old mobi".
Try Kindle Previewer
Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
almayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Try Kindle Previewer
thanks but nothing changes
Old 07-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
thanks but nothing changes
I think your stuck but you might get better answers at:

https://kdp.amazon.com/community/forumindex.jspa
Old 07-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're making your mobi with Calibre, there are a few complications, the answers to which I'm not sure of, but here goes.

First, you'll need to tell Calibre not to add it's own Table of Contents because this ToC functions like the toc.ncx. That is, Calibre calls it a metadata ToC. If your epub has a toc.ncx, then Calibre makes its metadata ToC from this toc.ncx. Since your NCX has all the entries (h1, h2, etc), then the metadata ToC that Calibre makes will have them all as well.

So when you convert, in the "Mobi Output" section, check "Do not add Table of Contents to book".

Additionaly, your internal HTML ToC needs to have a pointer for it in the <guide> section of your OPF file. That creates the proper entry in the display when the Menu button on the Kindle is pressed.

Something like this:

<manifest>
</manifest>
<spine toc="ncx">
</spine>
<guide>
<reference href="filename.html" title="Table of Contents" type="toc"/>
<reference href="cover.html" title="Cover" type="cover"/>
</guide>
</package>
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
almayer

thanks crutledge I'll have a look at your link

thanks Jeff L, I've followed your instructions but with Calibre it doesn't work, I can bypass the creation of its toc but anyway Calibre creates the marks on the progress bar starting from my (nested) toc.ncx
At this point I think that the solution is to generate with Sigil two Tocs :
- HTML ToC
- "standard" ToC (to be edited removing h2 and h3)
then with Calibre I will check "Do not add ToC to book".
Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that if you are publishing this book, as opposed to tweaking it for your personal use, you can upload the epub to the KDP. Indeed, adding Calibre to the mix has been reported to cause problems, including (this was some months ago) having the book rejected by the KDP.

In my experience, epubs convert wonderfully well on the KDP.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote