Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
MrsJones
MrsJones began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arrow Using copyright images in eBook ?

Hey guys,

I have finished an analytical book and need some help. The copyright images I speak of are from a (famous) comic book. I am aware I should contact them, but they won't get back to me. Is it not possible to use the images? Any way around this? Ie. Provide a link in my ebook which directs them to a website with the image in it.. the source would be printed under the image....

I am so very new to this and can't find the information I need online.

Cheers
MrsJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
It all depends, since the image(s) in question are being use in an analytical work, using them in a descriptive manner should be fair use in the United States. You should not need to contact the author for permission (although it is considered polite).

It all comes down to this, if you decide use an copyrighted image without permission--even if it's fair use where you don't need it--are you willing to deal with a court battle if the rights holder decides to sue? (This does happen even in cases where it is obviously fair use.)

[ADDED THOUGHT] If this is a for profit book, I would defiantly consult a copyright attorney for advice rather then trusting any info I found on the internet--even from the copyright office (you have to be a lawyer to understand all the nuances of that stuff).

Last edited by Keroberos; 05-02-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added Thoughts
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In what context do you wish to use the image?

If your book is providing commentary on, or criticism of (in its literary sense) the image, then you're probably OK to use it. If it's just a case that you think it would look nice as an illustration then no, you can't use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote