Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
vpx
vpx began at the beginning.

Device: KT
[ Kindle Touch ] Firmware downgrade

Hello, I am disappointed with 5.0.3+ non functional landscape mode, so I would like to try downgrade to 5.0.1
The problem is, that on Amazon is only the newest firmware downloadable.
Could someone post firmware 5.0.1 ?, maybe 5.0.0 or 5.0.2, filename is Update_Kindle_5.0.1.bin. Thank you very much.
vpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
I doubt it will be safe.
There were few valuable notices from Geekmaster about the latest firmware update changes. I'd suggest you to dig the forum.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
I agree with varnie. Updating newer firmware might brick your device.
But still, there is a way how to downgrade.
You can do it over RUNME script or ssh somehow described here.
In this link you can download whole Touch system, but I don't know, which version it is.

The rewriting is made by dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K command and it probably delete all personal data. Also it might be dangerous, if you write this command wrong.

This should be fine now.
For RUNME version do this:
1) install data.tar.gz RUNME hack
see this thread to download proper data.tar.gz

2) copy data.tar.gz to root folder of userstore
3) restart Kindle over Menu -> Settintgs -> Menu -> Restart
4) copy again to root folder "RUNME.sh" file with this content:
Spoiler:
#!/bin/sh
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K

5) copy to root folder downloaded mmcblk0p1.img
6) restart again

Last edited by hostar; 03-27-2012 at 01:50 PM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
vpx

OK, thank you very much for advices and will wait for somebody confirmation of hostar's solution.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
You won't be able to apply older updates than are installed - Amazon software checks for it on Kindle itself.
And good for you it doesn't allow this, because if it would allow installing that update you'd get your device bricked with 99% probability.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
vpx

OK, so thank you very much, will wait for better firmware or better rotation hack
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
wsxhwyy
wsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the roughwsxhwyy is a jewel in the rough

I think you must downgrade your main partition and kernel simultaneously. Or you'll brick your device when you update your firmware again as mine.

My device is still bricking because of the wrong kernel.

P.S. Could anyone provide me a main kernel image?

Last edited by wsxhwyy; 03-27-2012 at 09:21 AM.
wsxhwyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpx View Post
Hello, I am disappointed with 5.0.3+ non functional landscape mode, so I would like to try downgrade to 5.0.1
The problem is, that on Amazon is only the newest firmware downloadable.
Could someone post firmware 5.0.1 ?, maybe 5.0.0 or 5.0.2, filename is Update_Kindle_5.0.1.bin. Thank you very much.
You can downgrade by flashing (dd) your mmcblk0p1 partition with the 5.0.0 "debricking repair" image from the "Select Boot" thread, and erase the /var/local partition (copy /dev/zero to /dev/mmcblk0p3). Be sure to backup your collections or other valuable information first.

You can downgrade to other versions too if you get partition copies from somebody. If you downgrade from 5.0.4, you should (probably) also flash a copy of the older main linux kernel (which upgraded with the 5.0.4 update).

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-10-2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Rename "forensic" to "debricking repair" per ixtab.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
All this trouble because of landscape reading? Use the hack, it is downgrading the reader app to 5.0.1 and thats it.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
vpx

@diba: rotation hack is no longer fully functional under 5.0.4, you can just select between:
1) missing characters on the end of line, but images are OK (GUI Launcher)
or
2) cut off images, but text on the end of line is OK (KT_Rotation)

or which hack exactly I have to use for fully functional landscape reading (pdf) ?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

I use the reader for reading, so I would accept the cropped pictures, if I would read landscape. For me it is ridicolous trying to go back to an older firmware with all the risks of bricking implied.
But its your choice.
AFAIK the rotaion hack has only implications on mobi/azw, not on pdf. But not sure.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
For me it is ridicolous trying to go back to an older firmware with all the risks of bricking implied.
But its your choice.
There is no risk of bricking if you do as I said. You can use whatever firmwmare you want.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
For RUNME version do this:
1) install data.tar.gz RUNME hack
2) copy data.tar.gz to root folder of userstore
You provided a link to the WRONG data.tar.gz. This one ONLY works while booting from the main partition. To write to main, you MUST boot from the diags partition, which needs a data.tar.gz that works in diags.

Use the data.tar.gz that is in the "Select Boot" thread first post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

Be sure to include an ENABLE_DIAGS file too, as documented in that thread. The "simple debricking" thread has a lot of useful information too.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
diba
Addict

I see, no risk ...
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
I see, no risk ...
No risk if you follow instructions.

Using (or recommending or supplying) the wrong data.tar.gz is not following instructions.

Of course, for some people, getting out of bed is not without risk, and using a kindle for things other than reading books may be intolerable risk for them.

I guess you have to decide for yourself if having and interesting life is worth the risk.