Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
icecream
icecream began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2n edition
Smile Another happy customer

Hej,

so here's another happy owner of the iLiad. Ordered Monday morning at justread, and yesterday evening I could already play with my new toy.

First impressions:

The iLiad is quite stylish, looks nice, feels nice - quite important for a mobile device that you carry around and use in public places.

Using it took some while to get acquainted with the different concepts - not everything is intuitive, I really had to read the manual to get how to use the toolbar. But the manual explains the different features quite well - although more from a designer's than a user's perspective - so you have to read a lot before you find what you're looking for. But then looking into the forum helps as well.

Connecting the iLiad to the iRex site needed some patience - it didn't like the cross cable ethernet to my router, but with a straight ethernet cable it worked. Also configuring the wired access took some while - had to reset the iLiad twice, and now I have two profiles called "Wired network". Deleting a profile does not work - manual says that you should leave the name blank, but that will lock my iLiad.
Entering email addresses and passwords with the Writepad is fun, but takes some time, especially when characters and digits are mixed - I guess I'm faster with the keyboard.
First time pressing the connect button gave me "no connection" and a frozen iLiad again. But after reset everything worked, and it's nice that the iLiad just tries all profiles until it gets a connection.
Connecting to the iLiad site however was not really necessary, as mine has already the latest software release installed.

Connecting it to my computer via USB worked with no problem - and then I was ready for the real test. Downlading pdfs works like a breeze: after the long setup I was ready to read some of the papers on my PC and - wow - annotating them! So that's exactly what I bought the thing for, and it seems it was worth it.

So thanks to the forum - without having read about your experiences first I would not have dared to invest quite some money into a replacement for some sheets of paper. So now I just need to find some time to learn how to make the best of it - and come back with a lot of questions.

/icecream
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
I too ordered monday and received yesterday. It was fun to play with this new device! But sadly, I could not sync with my PC since I only have vista O/S that companion software does not support...
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The companion software doesn't really do too much. You can set it up to sync wired or wireless by creating a windows share for the iLiad. You can sync books when connected via usb with the Mobipocket software. You can merge scribbles with one of the 3 scribble merging tools out there.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote