Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
puremagic
puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.puremagic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Red face New to Kindle - Various types of Ebooks

Hey.

I used to have a sony Ereader when they first came out, then I went to reading ibooks then I have treated myself to a kindle.

I have a lot of documents etc and books on pdf,.lrf, epub etc and even though I have tried using calibre, all i seem to do is end up with loads and loads of duplicates.

I am In a mess with all my books, looked at some software ebook collection and I dont think that would help.

I know kindle books, it seems to have 3 files per book, so am I better trying to convert to pdf?

Would love to get a better understanding and free up some disk space and also stop myself wanting to throw the pc/kindle out of the window.

Thanks

Sarah
puremagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I'll try to give a few answers but some one else may have better advice.

As far as Calibre is concerned you can delete any duplicates within Calibre and they will not be deleted from your hard disk, just within that application.

For Calibre to convert your Sony lrf and epub books to mobi (used by Kindle) they must not have any DRM copy restrictions. To remove DRM is another subject and topic.

I would not convert any lrf or eboub books to pdf to use on the Kindle. Convert that type of book to mobi for best reading results. Books you already have in pdf should be able to be read on the Kindle.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you are interested in converting books with DRM google Apprentice Alf. There are some helpful steps listed on his blog.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well, anything you purchased from iBooks is currently stuck. That DRM is not as yet able to be circumvented. The only think you are going to be able to do with those is store them in Calibre and continue to read them on Apple Devices.

As for your old Sony books. Personally I'd try to get anything in LRF format converted or redownloaded into ePub or Mobi. If they are DRM'd, you will need to remove the DRM and then convert the file format. There are numerous threads populated around MobileRead on where to go to find the tools to accomplish this.

Generally there really is no problem with storing multiple copies of a book in Calibre in different formats. For the most part eBook files are tiny and Calibre will do a very good job of choosing the best format for the device you are sending it to.

I would strongly suggest you remove DRM wherever possible though - otherwise you could very well be in the situation 10 years from now where you want to reread a book and you can't remember what account or Device you bought it for. It is a real pain in the butt.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote