Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
carterw
carterw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Any news related to Kindle DX Graphite update?

i had already aware about firmware update for DXG before i got my DXG.

But looks like now Amazon is focusing on Kindle 3, not others old product?

Anyone got any idea about Kindle DX Graphite's firmware?

Everyone pls check

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529740

Last edited by carterw; 01-06-2011 at 11:48 PM.
carterw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
ha. i was about to post about this.
i just purchased the DXG after returning a K3.
I'm a little disappointed that the DXG doesn't have the new browser like the K3.
I would like to know too if amazon plans on updating DXG firmware to include this.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
So firmware-wise what is the apparent differences? K3 has a better web browser? Is PDF support the same on both? From the videos I have seen they look very similar. Sorry for the questions but I have a K3 and once again going through the thought process of getting a DX for reading academic journals (all PDF, multi column. The K3 is just a fraction too small to read these A4 pages and the zooming makes it very difficult to read these journals effectively).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i bought the DXG to be able to read PDFs. Every one I've tried so far work perfectly with the exception of *some* scanned ones (a small number it seems.. bad scans). and even they are decent. the large form factor makes all the difference for PDFs.

the PDF support: you still have pan and scan, although you don't really need it. i think the K3 has a slightly better search and ability to highlight (er..if i remember correctly).

for other formats on the K3 you get the option of a couple different fonts.
the new browser on the K3 is what I really want on my DXG but you know- not the end of the world!

but for PDF's it's really great IMHO. works perfect.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
cfontes
cfontes began at the beginning.

what you mean with new browser ??? what are the different features ?
cfontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Kanru
Kanru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle 3w
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfontes View Post
what you mean with new browser ??? what are the different features ?
It's webkit based. That means it uses the same render engine as iPad, iPhone, Android, etc. It leads to faster rendering, standard compliance and correct layout.
Kanru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
cfontes
cfontes began at the beginning.

oh...

I DXG gets that too because as good as it is... it could use some speed.
cfontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
Maybe we will get a good update when they release the lending feature. Amazon hasn't really been very clear if it will be a firmware update or if you will lend from the store/Amazon site though.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
i bought the DXG to be able to read PDFs. Every one I've tried so far work perfectly with the exception of *some* scanned ones (a small number it seems.. bad scans). and even they are decent. the large form factor makes all the difference for PDFs.

the PDF support: you still have pan and scan, although you don't really need it. i think the K3 has a slightly better search and ability to highlight (er..if i remember correctly).

for other formats on the K3 you get the option of a couple different fonts.
the new browser on the K3 is what I really want on my DXG but you know- not the end of the world!

kindle DX can not read pdf with password, K3 YES. this is a very bad handicap... pdf password are very use on academic and work

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-15-2010 at 06:19 PM.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRorschachZ View Post
kindle DX can not read pdf with password, K3 YES. this is a very bad handicap... pdf password are very use on academic and work
I see. I've never seen a password protected PDF myself.
So what about DRM protected formats then? Does K3 read those?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
very few large academic organizations use straight PDF password features, and when they do there is some kind of wrapper like protectedPDF, and in either case, this type of DRM is easily dispatched. I've never had trouble removing password features from PDF documents, god why the hell would you even want to have to remember/type that in on the kindle keypad =X
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I recently got two Kindle DXGs. I called to get information on the upgrade and am awaiting a response from Amazon's developer team.

If I don't get some sort of firm indication that v. 3.x is coming, I am likely to return the two DXGs at the end of the 30 day "trial" period.

I do like the new Pearl screens, though, although I am not sure there is a huge improvement over the gen. 2 Kindles.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
One disadvantage for most academics is that the DXG does not support highlighting/notes/dictionary/search functions in PDF's. Which I understand the K3 does. I would love to see that update, but for my current (very light) purposes of just reading journal articles to keep myself more-or-less current in my field, it's OK.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #14
carterw
carterw began at the beginning.

I think we should form a group to show them about how desire we are willing to see Firmware for DXG, I cannot understand why they wanna do it for K3 but not for DXG.

I hope Amazon can see our topic.
carterw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I'm sure they are well aware of these concerns.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote