Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #17041
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Poirot Investigates"; Agatha Christie's 5th book, and the third Poirot book. This is a collection of short stories, all of which I enjoyed. All feature Poirot's "sidekick", Captain Hastings, and many also involve Inspector Japp of Scotland Yard. Very enjoyable - this would be an excellent introduction to Hercule Poirot if you've not read any Poirot books before.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #17042
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I am on a Western kick lately. In the last month I have read:

Hondo by Louis L'Amour
Shane by Jack Schaefer
The Searchers by Alan Lemay
Appaloosa and Resolution by Robert B. Parker
and I am currently rereading on Lonesome Dove.

I think lots of people think of Westerns as being one dimensional, but these are all very different novels with some very different heros and characters.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #17043
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I am currently rereading on Lonesome Dove.
I have this on my tbr. Heard it's really good.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #17044
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I have this on my tbr. Heard it's really good.
It is... arguably the greatest Western ever written. It also is a fantastic novel about friendship.

It doesn't shy away from the brutality of the West.. but it doesn't wallow in it. Also it is filled with McMurtry's great sense of humor.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #17045
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And I'm now also reading Lantern Road by John T. Cullen. I'm not sure where this is going, but it's an intriguing Alien/Human culture obviously modelled on Shoganate Japan. Also bought back in Jan 2003, and not yet read.
An OK short novel, but I thought the ending was poor.

Now back to Transvergence.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #17046
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Just started Angelfall. It's the first book in Penryn & the End of Days, a post-apocalyptic angel trilogy by Susan Ee. A really enjoyable read thus far.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #17047
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am half way through The Med by David Poyer. It was finally released as an eBook June 25th. This is one of my favorite modern Naval Series.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Med-Lenson.../dp/B00DA79U24
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #17048
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Head of Kay's" by P.G. Wodehouse, the 5th novel in his "Schools" series, which, although not his best known works, are my personal favourites. This book tells the story of how the prefect Kennedy struggles to bring order (and sporting success) to his "house" at a public school, despite an inept house-master who places obstacles in his path at his every move. A great story, and, as always with Wodehouse, full of sparkling wit. Highly recommended, although I suppose I should add a warning that it is of course a book of its time (1905, to be precise) and that it does contain expressions which may offend the modern reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #17049
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver a few days ago. (It was the second half of the impulse-buy special offer that got me The Man Who Went up in Smoke, I mentioned last time.)

It kind of felt like it was written in blockbusterese, but I enjoyed it. It clipped along at a fair old pace, and was very easy to read. I don't know if it was any kind of inspiration for the CSI TV shows, but it seemed similarly slick and not too demanding.

It was yet another paperback, in my pbook renaissance, and my next book is too. I've just started LE Modesitt Jr's Darknesses, the second book of the Corean Chronicles. The problem with this series is that the first two don't seem to be available as ebooks. I already owned the first one, and read it ages ago, although I could barely remember it, so I have borrowed the second one from a colleague to get me onto the bottom rung of the ebook ladder. Fortunately, the first one is coming back to me as I read it.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #17050
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am half way through The Med by David Poyer. It was finally released as an eBook June 25th. This is one of my favorite modern Naval Series.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Med-Lenson.../dp/B00DA79U24
Apache
Thanks. I'm adding this one to my TBR list.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #17051
blondiesa
blondiesa began at the beginning.

Device: samsung mobile phone
Smile Re Trying to get hold of Robert H Batey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Today I had lunch with Robert H. Batey, the author of 'Under His Hat.' He published his book several years ago, then underwent a prolonged round of abuse from the 'Louis Carroll Society' because he couldn't 'prove' his lineage.
He is the great-great nephew of 'Alice,' of ' Alice in Wonderland fame, and told me all about the real-life characters that are behind the names found in the book. I never realized that the tea party was a somewhat 'real' event, or that the players were actual people. I had known the name 'Coffee Johnny' from the British folk song, "Blayden Races," but I never knew he was 'The Mad Hatter,' or that Tommy Over the Bridge was 'the doormouse!'

It was an interesting lunch! I'm looking forward to reading the book. I don't give a damn if it's fact or fiction. He made for a rollicking good lunch companion!

Stitchawl

Hi
I was very interested to see this as My sister in laws and myself have been trying to get in touch with Robert through his publisher but to date no response. I believe that his story is true as my mother in law was
Annie Robinson Batey before she married a Leslie Franklin, she was daughter of Miles Robinson Batey and Isobella Batey formerly Taylor, Miles Robinson Batey was son of Sarah and Miles robinson Batey . My mother in law used to talk about being related to Coffee Johnny. If you have any idea how I contact Robert H Batey please contact me either on here or by sendning an e mail to [Personal email address removed, as it can be dangerous to post personal information on forum. Contact member via PM to respond or to get contact information.]. Many thanks

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-03-2013 at 09:23 PM.
blondiesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #17052
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am having a hard time deciding on my next read. I need a break from Honor Harrington and Sherlock Holmes, and it looks like Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites (Discworld 3) is available as an e-book from my library with no waiting time. I have skipped around in my reading of the Discworld novels and I think I missed this one. I haven't read Mort either, so maybe I can get them both.
Equal Rites was another excellent book from Terry Pratchett. I am ready to read Mort now.

I also listened to Rude Mechanicals by Kage Baker (and narrated by Mary Robinette Kowal). It showed up in a news feed this morning and was free, so I thought I would try it. An interesting and entertaining time travel novella. I really doubt I will start taking up audiobooks though - I can't do anything while listening to them if I actually want to follow the story. Maybe I could listen to a book I have read before and be ok.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #17053
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
quite some time I didn't post here. I've read quite a few things ever since:

Neil Gaiman's latest novellete "The ocean at the end of the lane" (highly recommended poetic and subtle recollection of a middle-aged man about his childhood. highly moody and powerful imagery);

Ayn Rand's novella Anthem, which is one of the intriguing dystopian novels written in the wake of communism read in most part in first-person, plural. Kinda bland writing, very unlike that of 1984, but intriguing because it's what it would sound by a man come from a dystopian egalitarian society without voice for individual thought. In that, it works great.

I'm currently on about 5% through the first 4 books of the A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm hooked, I confess. great collection right on the money on Kindle app...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #17054
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am ready to read Mort now.
it's great. go for it.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #17055
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm a third of the way though "The Templar Legacy" by Steve Berry. It's interesting (although I have no idea if it's historically accurate,) but not engrossing. There is very little character development, certainly nothing to bind you to its main character. I find this surprising in a 'series' book, although there is character 'history' in detail. I'll finish the book, but at this point doubt that I'll continue with the series.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote