Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #181
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I wonder - do we have a way of getting real italics and bold for LRF/RTF/TXT files yet?
We don't and we never will. Use epub.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #182
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
We don't and we never will. Use epub.
Actually, we d have a way to get real bold/italics for LRF. All you have to do is embed the fonts. But the downside to that is it will slow your reading right down. Embedding fonts in ePub does not slow down page turns so it's best to use ePub with the font(s) of your choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #183
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All you have to do is embed the fonts. But the downside to that is it will slow your reading right down.
Since embedding fonts in LRF books slows down page turns by an order of magnitude, it is not an option. Also, pepak asked about RTF and TXT too, and you can't embed fonts in those.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #184
darkpoet
ePub Headbanger
darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.darkpoet knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Boox Poke4 / Sony PRS-505
On question I haven't seen answered yet... and I can't seem to get it on my own... is:

What is the maximum size of font you can use when flashing the reader?

I'm trying to use a CJK Font so I can study Korean easier... I realize it would probably be best to the use the SD Card/Autorun method since that way I could replace all 3 fonts with whatever size I happen to get... but I would also like to use the dictionary so I can check words while reading and it seems you can only have one Autorun program.

I've tried a 25MB CJK Font which was the smallest reasonably well-rendered font I could find... bricked, recovered... I assume the firmware is on a separate partition... anyway to expand this to make room for nicer fonts?
darkpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #185
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet View Post
I have no idea. But I know many people have succeeded in displaying CJK fonts, so it's possible. I remember seeing threads about this in this subforum, so search around a bit.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #186
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
Excuse me if this has been asked before:
Is it possible to turn font anti-aliasing OFF. I've switched to Liberation fonts using this guide, which I really enjoy, but I've noticed that font antialiasing makes text look fuzzier and have less contrast.
Can we do this to our readers?
Thanks!
So far only RTF files seem to render fonts without anti-aliasing. Letters look much clearer than using epub or lrf.
Does anyone experience the same?
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #187
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet View Post
On question I haven't seen answered yet... and I can't seem to get it on my own... is:

I'm trying to use a CJK Font so I can study Korean easier... I realize it would probably be best to the use the SD Card/Autorun method since that way I could replace all 3 fonts with whatever size I happen to get... but I would also like to use the dictionary so I can check words while reading and it seems you can only have one Autorun program.

I've tried a 25MB CJK Font which was the smallest reasonably well-rendered font I could find... bricked, recovered... I assume the firmware is on a separate partition... anyway to expand this to make room for nicer fonts?
I'd be grateful if you kept me informed of your progress on the CJK font issue.

Thanks!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:27 AM   #188
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Hi all, I had an idea for getting a true italic with LRF files; and have got it (half) working.

I have replaced the swiss ttf file with a true italic serif. Books need to have the italic text replaced with a swiss (airal) style font before converting to LRF (there is a handy feature in Word to do this).

After flashing, RTF files in a swiss font are successfully displayed in true italic, but alas LRF files in a swiss font are now (strangely) displayed in the dutch font.

Any ideas on whats going on/how to fix?
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:40 AM   #189
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm confused. All I want to do is put the clock on the status bar, I'm quite happy with the default font etc. How do I achieve this without all the other confusing proceedures? (Well, it's confusing to me!)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #190
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm confused. All I want to do is put the clock on the status bar, I'm quite happy with the default font etc. How do I achieve this without all the other confusing proceedures? (Well, it's confusing to me!)
Then just use PRSCustomizer and ignore this guide.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #191
fbones24
fbones24 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Font Creator Software??

I am trying to follow the guide, but the trial version of the FontCreator Software does not allow you to save new fonts as described at the end of step 1 in the guide. The software says that the save feature is disabled because the version is not registered.

Any suggestions on this? Do I have to purchase the software for $79.00 to complete this step?
fbones24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #192
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Search for version 5.6 which allowed saving.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #193
fbones24

Unfortunately, all version 5.6 downloads seem to link directly to version 6. Am I out of luck on this one or is there other Font software that could be used. I am experiencing severe eye strain when using my 505 and I want to try everything possible before being forced to ditch it for paper books.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #194
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbones24 View Post
I am trying to follow the guide, but the trial version of the FontCreator Software does not allow you to save new fonts as described at the end of step 1 in the guide. The software says that the save feature is disabled because the version is not registered.

Any suggestions on this? Do I have to purchase the software for $79.00 to complete this step?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbones24 View Post
Unfortunately, all version 5.6 downloads seem to link directly to version 6. Am I out of luck on this one or is there other Font software that could be used. I am experiencing severe eye strain when using my 505 and I want to try everything possible before being forced to ditch it for paper books.
You can find this information on many places in this thread. For instance, there is this post on the previous page. The 5.6 version is linked to directly.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #195
fbones24

Got it! Thank you very much. Hopefully this helps with the "eye strain." Seems like I'm the only one experiencing this with the 505.