Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Preston and Child books

In case anyone's not come across them, I'd like to recommend practically anything written by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - especially the "Pendergast" series, which is mostly available in eBook form. I've not come across a book of theirs that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.

Most of their books are in the mystery/thriller genre, although the Pendergast series has a certain "supernatural" element to it too. That series is best read in order, although unfortunately the first two books, "Relic" and "Reliquary" don't appear to be available as eBooks (the later books in the series are).

My favourite book by them is the standalone novel "Riptide", which is a wonderful adventure story about a search for pirate treasure.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Although, the second book (Reliquary) is the weakest of the bunch, most of their books are very good.

I really enjoy the character Agent Pendergast.

Personally, about my favorite novel of theirs would be Thunderhead. But part of that is probably because I grew up in the American southwest.

I would highly recommend most of their novels as well.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I have followed Agent Pendergast from the beginning. He is a fascinating character.

Can't wait for the next one...."Cemetery Dance". Was supposed to be released in August of 2008.

Lincoln Child also has a new one, "Terminal Freeze" due out in February, I believe......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Good books: I have some in my read pile and some in my 'to be read' pile.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Yeah - I have reached no 5 in the pendergast series now...nice stuff
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
MdB
Advocate/Initiate
MdB doesn't litterMdB doesn't litter

Device: Undecided
I concur highly - I'm a big fan of both Lincoln & Child, and their mutual collaborations. Sort of reminded me of a Koontz meets Crighton lovechild...and I love every minute of it.

Slightly more lowbrow, but equally fun, I find are James Rollins' books - The Ice Limit, Excavation, etc. Definitely "beach reads", but very fun. As I have not yet gotten an e-reader, I'm afraid I don't know if these are available as e-versions yet, though I suspect they likely are.

If anyone has any other recommendations in this sort of "swashbuckling adventure sci-fi historical mystery tomb raiding" genre, I'd love to hear of it. Cussler stopped writing his own books and they went to $hit. Crighton, unfortunately, has left us, and I need some new escapist portals!
MdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdB View Post
I concur highly - I'm a big fan of both Lincoln & Child, and their mutual collaborations. Sort of reminded me of a Koontz meets Crighton lovechild...and I love every minute of it.

Slightly more lowbrow, but equally fun, I find are James Rollins' books - The Ice Limit, Excavation, etc. Definitely "beach reads", but very fun. As I have not yet gotten an e-reader, I'm afraid I don't know if these are available as e-versions yet, though I suspect they likely are.

If anyone has any other recommendations in this sort of "swashbuckling adventure sci-fi historical mystery tomb raiding" genre, I'd love to hear of it. Cussler stopped writing his own books and they went to $hit. Crighton, unfortunately, has left us, and I need some new escapist portals!
"The Ice Limit" actually is P&C, but I agree with you about James Rollins too, although, as you say, I think they are more "action" and less "plot" than P&C.

For the ultimate in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" type "action" books, try Matthew Reilly. I'm not in any way whatsoever recommending his books as works of "literature", but as "non-stop action adventures", they can't be beaten, although the plots are absolutely ridiculous and the science ludicrous. But they are fun books to read!
Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Matthew Reilly is my favorite local (well to us Aussies anyway ) action adventure author. If you want non-stop action it hits the spot. His first book Contest was not the best but he definitely improved a lot once you get up to his newer books.
James Rollins is also a great read.
Too bad the first two Douglas Preston books are not available in ebooks. Do you lose the running theme of the stories if you start at book 3 or do I have to buy pbooks again
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Too bad the first two Douglas Preston books are not available in ebooks. Do you lose the running theme of the stories if you start at book 3 or do I have to buy pbooks again
No, not really. All you really learn in the first two books is that Pendergast is a suave, well-educated, and independently-wealthy man who is an FBI agent for the intellectual challenges it brings him. It really is only from book 3 onwards that it becomes a "series" as such; "Relic" was originally written as a standalone book, and then "Reliquary" written as a direct sequel to it. They are good books (perhaps worth picking up cheap 2nd hand, if you come across them) but not vital to the series.

"Relic" is a classic "scary monster lurking in the depths of an old museum" plot. "Reliquary" really "more of the same" except set in the New York subway system.

Pretty good movie adaptations have been made of both books.