Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Url1000
Url1000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD registration circumvention

I'm quite a novice in this field so bear with me. I found no aura hd specific tutorial on google for skiping the registration on the device. I came across the sqlite3 method on link. Here are my questions:

does it work on aura hd?
can I perform this on a windows 7 computer?
is there any chance whatsoever at damaging the device?
will I be able to use the dictionary and the browser after doing this?
what about firmware updates? are they on halt?

I also checked into the google analytics on kobo touch - I guess it's same for aura? Anything else I should read about in relation this? Thanks!
Url1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Register with a really fake address (not someone that might be real for someone else). There is no verification of email involved. Don't turn on your WiFi and you need never hear from Kobo at all.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Url1000 View Post
does it work on aura hd?
Sort of. You will have to add two or three more foos since Kobo added to the registration details. (Just repeat the command until it works. SQLite won't accept an invalid entry.)

Quote:
can I perform this on a windows 7 computer?
Yes, but I don't know about the details.

Quote:
is there any chance whatsoever at damaging the device?
None. The worse case scenario is that the database will become corrupted, then you'd perform a factory reset. That said, I've never corrupted the database while faking the registration data.

Quote:
will I be able to use the dictionary and the browser after doing this?
Yes.

Quote:
what about firmware updates? are they on halt?
I'm pretty sure that you'll still receive firmware updates. That said, I usually update manually so I'm not 100% sure.

Quote:
I also checked into the google analytics on kobo touch - I guess it's same for aura? Anything else I should read about in relation this? Thanks!
I just examined the archive. You can use it on the Aura.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

You can obtain SQLite for Windows from here:

http://www.sqlite.org/download.html

(You'll want the shell version, not the DLL.)

The command will be almost the same under Windows, but you will have to change the paths.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or Dbeaver for a nice GUI tool
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Url1000
Url1000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thanks alot BWinmill. I got it running now. I didn't have much luck with the sqlite 3 command prompt as I think I couldn't get it to reach the file path. (typed: "sqlite3 E:.koboKoboReader.sqlite", but got a syntax error after inserting 'user' values as specified in the tutorial.)

PeterT's suggested program was great, with little knowledge I managed to do fine. Selected the database type, sqlite file I wanted to edit, found 'user' table, edited the data.

I accidentally ran the 'insert into user values' commandline in the DBeaver program also, so I ended up with 3 rows in the user database. 2 that I added, and the default one. Didn't find a way to delete a row at first sight so I left it at that.

tl;dr - thanks, got it running!
Url1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

Works great for this and lets you delete any user lines you don't want in the database.

Just use the "Browse Data" tab to select "user", then the "Execute SQL" tab to enter:

INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false") for the AuraHD (You can cut and paste this) Click on the "Execute query" button.

Go back to the Browse Data tab and "user", to select and delete any records you don't need.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:34 AM   #8
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch/Aura, Asus Transformer TF300, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/

Works great for this and lets you delete any user lines you don't want in the database.

Just use the "Browse Data" tab to select "user", then the "Execute SQL" tab to enter:

INSERT INTO user VALUES ("0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0","false") for the AuraHD (You can cut and paste this) Click on the "Execute query" button.

Go back to the Browse Data tab and "user", to select and delete any records you don't need.

Luck;
Ken
You sir (and everyone else on this thread too) are a lifesaver.

I thought I bricked my Touch for sure. For some reason, after the latest firmware, my reader has been really laggy. It doesn't detect with Kobo Desktop too. It just doesn't recognize my reader at all... Calibre sees it fine, Windows sees it fine.

So something go corrupted and I was set back to the 1.16x firmware. I couldn't get connected, thus I couldn't register/update my reader.

Finally with these instructions, I was able to get on my wi-fi, and get updated. Now with it unregistered, I'm even debating logging in at all.

I can read books, and I am happy.

Thanks a bunch!
barney_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Registration database is different for Aura H2O

I just picked up an Aura H2O and using sqlitebrowser to use the code above, discovered that the 'user' table has 9 values for the Aura H2O. I added 2 extra false values as below and all seems to work OK for now:

Code:
INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('foo','foo','foo','foo','foo','foo','foo','foo','FALSE');
This is the 1st time I have altered a sql table so take my above comments as they are intended: "amateur"

Edit:
Wi-Fi and internet work fine. Can't sync to update firmware after using this hack - get the "network error" alert box saying that "something happened to your internet connection". I will manually update.

Last edited by slantybard; 10-04-2014 at 07:27 PM.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, aura hd, kobo, registration