Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
KF8 Demo

Here's a blot post with some interesting info about KF8:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...now-available/

Anybody here been playing with it?
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Well, I at least thought that was interesting, also.

But I'd really like to see the new tools, an in particular, how these handle degradation to what we previously thought of as 'mobi'. I can see where we'll usually get a good, more or less lossless KF8 conversion from most ePub filies, but the conversion ePub to mobi that the tools currently do is not fully adequate (not that it prevents some big publishers from using it, rather than deriving mobi source files). Even downgrading from 'native' KF8 source to 'legacy' mobi seems like it would be problematic, unless there's some provision to include legacy source in parallel.

I think 'legacy' devices will experience some loss of quality as a result. And I'm assuming the cutoff will be K4 and later, i.e. Kindle Keyboard will not get KF8 capabilities. Hope I'm wrong about that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think 'legacy' devices will experience some loss of quality as a result. And I'm assuming the cutoff will be K4 and later, i.e. Kindle Keyboard will not get KF8 capabilities. Hope I'm wrong about that.
Let's say it works on these models. What would it offer when reading a novel such as "Animal Farm"?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Let's say it works on these models. What would it offer when reading a novel such as "Animal Farm"?
Probably the same kind of things that can be used to "pretty up" an ePub book, such as drop caps, text flowing around illustrations, embedded fonts, etc. None of these is essential, but they can certainly make a book look much more attractive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Probably the same kind of things that can be used to "pretty up" an ePub book, such as drop caps, text flowing around illustrations, embedded fonts, etc. None of these is essential, but they can certainly make a book look much more attractive.
Thanks. Sounds like it's nothing I need for the type of reading I do.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I don't like the sound of embedded fonts. Even in real books there's a lot of designers who don't have a clue about typography, that's likely to get even worse when amateur designers are doing cut-price ebook work for starving writers.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem
Even downgrading from 'native' KF8 source to 'legacy' mobi seems like it would be problematic, unless there's some provision to include legacy source in parallel.
I do believe that the new kindlegen will produce one PRC container that will contain both the mobi AND the KF8 formats (the sample provided by that blog certainly does). The reading app can make the decision on which format to render. I expect that to be the case as long as the mobi format (and devices that only read mobi) lingers.

In other words, I don't expect there to be much of a need to convert KF8 to mobi.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks. Sounds like it's nothing I need for the type of reading I do.
+1 to that. I simply read fiction, and can easily live without it being "prettied-up". I guess I can stop my sleepless nights fretting over having an obsolete Kindle......

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I do believe that the new kindlegen will produce one PRC container that will contain both the mobi AND the KF8 formats (the sample provided by that blog certainly does). The reading app can make the decision on which format to render. I expect that to be the case as long as the mobi format (and devices that only read mobi) lingers.

In other words, I don't expect there to be much of a need to convert KF8 to mobi.
Actually, I believe Amazon will only deliver the format that the device or app in question is capable of. So you will not get a PRC container with both formats in it, which would be wasteful of bandwidth and storage.

This is currently the case with a/v enhanced ebooks: if you send to anything other than the K4iOS app, you only get the text. The a/v content is stripped out.

It is an open question as to how 3rd parties can make Kindle content available. They may need to have mobi AND kf8 format available.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Actually, I believe Amazon will only deliver the format that the device or app in question is capable of. So you will not get a PRC container with both formats in it, which would be wasteful of bandwidth and storage.

This is currently the case with a/v enhanced ebooks: if you send to anything other than the K4iOS app, you only get the text. The a/v content is stripped out.

It is an open question as to how 3rd parties can make Kindle content available. They may need to have mobi AND kf8 format available.
I'm sure you're right about only one format being ultimately delivered to the customer. I just think that the new version of kindlegen will (by default) create the two part PRC that contains both formats (from a single epub source). Then when that file is uploaded to Amazon's servers by the publisher/author, they will be able to deliver the proper format to the proper device.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Bossman
Bossman doesn't litterBossman doesn't litter

Device: Prs505
You can open those KF8 files with 7zip.

From the files within it looks very similar to epub.
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
You can open those KF8 files with 7zip.

From the files within it looks very similar to epub.
Most of the MOBIs produced by kindlegen can be "unzipped." But the unzippable portion only represents the source used to create the binary... which would explain why it was very similar to epub.

But having said that... are you sure? I'm unable to unzip either of the KF8 sample files from that blog post. With 7zip or ANY such program
Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Bossman

Using 7zip 9.2 i just right clicked on Jerome.mobi and did open archive.

Though it could be the source epub files, but why would you include that in the final file?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Bossman

ok i compared it with the source file that he used to create them and they include the same files.

If that holds true for the final kf8 files...
Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If that holds true for the final kf8 files...
It won't. That's just what get's uploaded to Amazon after kindlegen creates it. The source files get stripped out before they get delivered to customers.

Those samples are the raw output from a beta version of the upcoming kindlegen program.

Quote:
Using 7zip 9.2 i just right clicked on Jerome.mobi and did open archive.
Wow. I just looked at my 7zip and saw it was version 4.54.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-20-2011 at 02:05 PM.