Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
isabeau
isabeau began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700 and PRS-600
zoom and page turn

I would like to know whether Sony has done something about this annoying issue in more recent models.

Some pdfs require zooming instead of font size change, for some technical reasons. These cannot be annotated either; it seems like they are like a picture instead of typed characters. Some pdfs are also so complicated in their page formatting (columns, pictures, etc.) that they have to be zoomed too in order to be read properly.

Anyhow, I don't mind the zooming. I just think that in 2011, you would not need to redo the zooming at every page turn in a technological device that you paid a considerable price.

My PRS-700 was not any better in that regard...

Sony will lose me for eReaders if this issue does not get fixed...
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I only know of this issue from PDF library books, which are mostly text. However, new models have a feature where the page can be viewed in quadrants, which is terrific for two-column "originals" - does that help at all?

New models keep the zooming from page-to-page now, rather than needing to be reset every page turn (although you do need to re-zoom after closing and re-opening a PDF).

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 01-22-2011 at 01:00 AM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
isabeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
New models keep the zooming from page-to-page now, rather than needing to be reset every page turn (although you do need to re-zoom after closing and re-opening a PDF).
Thank you for this reply.

That would be good news. What new models are we talking about, then? The only two models I see on Sonystyle.ca are the PRS-650 and the Pocket edition. Pocket would definitely be too small for my needs (I have my BB for small). The only difference 650/600 that I can notice from reading the specifications is the built-in translators... which would have been nice for my 600 but I can do without.

Do you mean the PRS 650 does the quadrant page display and keeps the zooming format from page to page? Or other brands do that?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
isabeau

What about annotating while in zooming mode? Seems to me unacceptable that a Reader cannot do such simple multi-tasking!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
No, one cannot annotate in zoom mode - from what I gather the screen on the 650 is much less "murky" than the 600 was being than main difference (besides the dictionary function). I do not annotate myself, so others will have to provide more detail on that. There is a 950, which is a 1" larger screen (the updated 900), only sold in the States, that also has zoom-and-lock.

I don't believe any other brands have quadrant display than Sony, but I could be wrong.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
flake
flake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texanflake might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: prs950, prs-t1
I am using the 950, and owned the 600 previously.
The 950 will also prompt to restore to original size if zoomed when I want to annotate. But the extra inch of the 950 makes my PDF docs very readable when viewed in landscape mode, many times even without zoom/ reflow.
I usually read in 'margin cut' page mode - no annotate, but ok to highlight text. I don't annotate much, but if I need to, I think I can leave the page at just landscape for a while.
flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #7
maxwellsilver
maxwellsilver began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 350
it's a problem that when you lock a zoomed area, you only can turn to the next page, so if you want to see the rest of the page, you may unlock, move zoom, lovk, and again and again..
maxwellsilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
improvement, pdf format, zoom