Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Would it be possible for Amazon to re-compile Amazon Reader App for Pocketbook OS dev

This just popped into my head...why can't Amazon, who wants their software EVERYWHERE re-compile and adapt their reader software for the Pocketbook OS?

I know there are licensing issues like ADE vs. Mobi vs. Kindle books...but if I were Pocketbook I would be trying to get an Amazon reader app on my device line-up and along side the ADE/DRM EPUB content...it's not like Amazon won't install on your PC if you have reader software for other DRM content so why not for readers?

I just am wondering what obstacles exist to prevent this from happening? I would imagine it would be huge and push Pocketbook closer to the front in the US for sure and maybe even other countries.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Technically: very little.
Kindle runs a version of Linux atop an ARM CPU just like the Pocketbooks. The SDKs are different but it wouldn't be too hard to port the reader app.
However, Kindle Reader relies on persistent connectivity for Whispernet and Amazon won't license it without Whispernet and the built-in storefront. Add in the economy-of-scale advantages of the Amazon hardware there really isn't much incentive for either party in the prospective deal.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I don't see how the reader software needs a persistant wireless connection, my kindles don't. I never use it with my desktop version and never with my reader except for a couple times when I just wanted to try things out and I have had Kindles since only a few months after the introduction of the K1. Plus there is the Wifi device now as well which could go months w/o a web connection.

As for incentive...there is no less incentive to make a version for Pocketbook devices than any other handheld device. And if some sort of wireless connection is a MUST have then maybe a version for only the readers with that ability. The software should be connection carrier agnostic and wifi is obviously sufficent.

And the whole store front thing would just seem to be a browser based deal meaning the device would need some sort of, hopefully, webkit based browser which are already out there...then just hook into that when needed.

I see there being some tech hurdles but to my thinking it would be a way to expose the Pocketbook brand to a huge existing market segment. Of course I also see it as potentially competing with the planned Pocketbook ebook store so that might be difficult to deal with...should Amazon pay Pocketbook for content purchased from the Amazon store via a Pocketbook device? Dunno how it works on Apple devices.

I was thinking the hardware and OS would be fine just needing a nudge here and there for the OS quirks...

To me a Pocketbook reader that had the Kindle reader software and the other existing software would make it THE best of all worlds reader because it would truly handle almost everything out there ebook wise. And that could only be a good thing for the brand.

Still if it does not work politically then that is business and nobody's fault, just life in business.

EDIT: btw, don't take my response as bing argumentative in a negative fashion...just stream of consciousness discussion of the idea. I understand there are potential hurdles but wonder out loud how to over come those issues. so I enjoy the discussion and reasons why it might not be reasonable to see done.

Last edited by brecklundin; 09-22-2010 at 06:02 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Technically it shouldn't be an issue, but if Amazon wants its Whispernet to be licensed and used with the software, I doubt that any competitor would have that deal even if they've set up, say, an ePub ebook store. In the case of PB, people wouldn't use Bookland if they have access to Amazon's store. I wonder if they'd use Bookland at all, but that's another topic...
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote