Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Favorite Graphic Novels

Mine is probably Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis.

You?
kad032000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I've always had a soft spot for "Watchmen" and I also love Darwyn Cooke's "New Frontier." In both cases the Absolute Editions really show off the artwork.

From Marvel I like a lot of Neil Gaiman's work: particularly Eternals and 1602.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
kad032000
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I've always had a soft spot for "Watchmen" and I also love Darwyn Cooke's "New Frontier." In both cases the Absolute Editions really show off the artwork.

From Marvel I like a lot of Neil Gaiman's work: particularly Eternals and 1602.
I loved 1602.

I read Watchmen last year, but I think I'm too young to truly appreciate it. I'm sure it was groundbreaking when it came out, but I was concerned with other things at the time... like learning to walk
Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Neil Gaiman's The Sandman is my favorite ("meep")
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
kad032000
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Neil Gaiman's The Sandman is my favorite ("meep")
The Sandman was the first graphic novel I read. Some of it was absolutely brilliant, although the constant changing of artists sometimes drove me nuts.
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Neil Gaiman's Sandman (every time I read it I discover more, but I do agree about the changing artists).

Alan Moore' Watchman (even though I had to "grow" into it)

Right now my favorite is Warren Ellis's Planetary because while it is intelligent like the above two, it is also a lot of fun to read (come on last issue!)
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Probably the Watchmen for me. But as a long-time comics fan I really did enjoy the Dark Knight (Batman in his old age) series and, before that, the Wolverine (of X-Men) series.

Edit - oh geez, how could I forget the one that stuck in my mind all those years, Lone Wolf and Cub (English-translated manga)!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Three of my favorite graphic novels are:

- "JLA Volume 8 - Divided We Fall:" It collects one of my favorite JLA stories that features The Queen of Fables (who is literally every villain from every fairy tale). It is one of the best JLA stories every written, and The Queen Of Fables is one of the most dangerous villains the League has ever faced, and one they must face without Batman.

- "The Art Of Walt Simonson:" It collects much of his early work for DC Comics. The reason it is one of my favorites is that it features the Metal Men stories he drew, some of the best Metal Men stories every written.

- "Teen Titans Volume 4 - The Future Is Now:" Features the current Teen Titans meeting themselves from 10 years in the future, and they are shocked when they find out what they will become. But what makes this one of my favorites is the story "Lights Out" which features Dr. Light. Due to the events of "Identity Crisis," this is not the old Dr. Light, who's basically a joke, but a Dr. Light who is extremely dangerous.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm enjoying Fables, too. (I'm slowly collecting the trades.) Starman is good, I have the first three Omnibus volumes and plan to complete the set as they come out.

I want to read Sandman, but I can't afford all four Absolutes (even though they have the full set staring longingly at me at the local Books-A-Million). My current plan is to wait for the TPB reissue with the updated coloring and go for those.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:29 AM   #10
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
The First Kingdom by Jack Katz
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, lets see now aside from the ones mentioned by others earlier in the thread,

Warren Ellis's "Preacher" while not Pg is a lot of fun, and somthing i've enjoyed rereading quiet a few times. Rereading the whole run in TBP after one of my exams was quiet a strange experience.

Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is a classic. I really loved and enjoyed the first two volumes and while the Black Dossier was good, I did not like it as much. However its still definitely one of Moore's best works.

His " Top Ten " and "Tom Strong" are also among my favorites exploring themes that I enjoy a lot

Back to Ellis, His Graphic Novel "Orbiter" is something I loved since I first saw it, and actually spent some time trying to get a copy as i first read it in the library. If you enjoy space, but get frustrated by how bureaucratic it has become, its well worth having a look.

Another Ellis Series that I really enjoy is " Planetary" which is an enjoyable romp with the ideo if exploring the hidden secrets of the world, and looks at a lot of the tropes of Early SF, Comics, Movies etc. Its one of My all time fav's and something I'll recommend whole heartedly

Similarly his "Global Frequency" was another take on it, but without the capes and I was dreadfully disappointed when the TV show neve got past the Pilot stage. If you can get the books, and try and get a copy of the pilot to see after reading them. Its well worth it.

Edit: As pointed out Preacher is Gareth Ennis not Warren Ellis D'oh!

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 02-13-2010 at 08:07 PM.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #12
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Watchmen is, of course, a classic. Absolutely brilliant, as is so much of Alan Moore's work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad032000 View Post
I read Watchmen last year, but I think I'm too young to truly appreciate it. I'm sure it was groundbreaking when it came out, but I was concerned with other things at the time... like learning to walk
I don't know why your age would keep you from appreciating it. I was born in '86 but really all it takes is knowledge of the historical context.

I also think League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is brilliant. So sad that the movie turned out to be complete crap. V for Vendetta is also brilliant.

I love Sandman, but I haven't finished it yet. Same with Y the Last Man. I started reading that a few years back, got all caught up to the current issue, and then just failed to pick it up month after month. Now I think I'd have to read it all over again because I've forgotten so much of what happened. Still, Brian K. Vaughan is a great writer. I've had Ex Machina recommended to me countless times and I've been meaning to read Pride of Baghdad since it came out.

Maus and Persepolis are, of course, phenomenal. Has anyone else here read Craig Thompson's Blankets? It's a very well-done coming-of-age story. I highly recommend it.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:10 AM   #13
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Hmm, lets see now aside from the ones mentioned by others earlier in the thread,

Warren Ellis's "Preacher" while not Pg is a lot of fun, and somthing i've enjoyed rereading quiet a few times. Rereading the whole run in TBP after one of my exams was quiet a strange experience.
Garth Ennis did Preacher. But yeah, very fun series. I also love Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan. As a journalism major, I love the idea of a crusading journalist. :-)
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:00 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The series Les Cités Obscures by François Schuiten and Benoît Peeters. Especially the earliest works. Odd, dreamlike stories.

Then the Danish Valhalla comics series. It puts a great new vitality into the old stories.

And finally the works of the French-Yugoslavian artist Enki Bilal
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Garth Ennis did Preacher. But yeah, very fun series. I also love Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan. As a journalism major, I love the idea of a crusading journalist. :-)
Thanks for the correction. I Knew it was Ennis, But when it came to write the name, Ellis was what kept coming to mind and I just put it down.

I Agree Transmetropolitan is definitely great. Its been a while since I read all of it as I don't own the Trades (read them at the library) and could not justify buying the whole series at that time.

What I've found is that books that I really like are ones which have a lot of layers, so people of different ages and experiences can all enjoy it, though in different ways. I've found that Moore and Ellis's work usually has that and keep me coming back.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote