Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
Kindle bias on MobileRead?

Not trying to start anything, just making an observation.

Yesterday morning I thought that there seemed to be a lot on the main page news about the Kindle, but it's new, so that's to be expected. Then when I came home last night and there was even more, I thought about posting about it, but didn't get around to it. Now this morning I look and there is even more, so posting I am.

I get that the Kindle 2 is new, and that it should be reported on. Of course. I thought maybe I was thinking it was a lot because I don't really like the Kindle, but it is a big deal and should have news about it.

However, the Sony PRS 700 was released not that long ago, and I don't recall it having nearly as much press here at MR as the Kindle has had. I thought maybe it was in my head, with my own dislike for the Kindle, and was going to look last night at the old Week in Reviews to see if there was as much on when the Sony came out and I just didn't realize it.

Waking up this morning though, I know that there was nowhere near this much for the Sony. One, there was never a news blip on the top of every page that said the new Sony was out with a link on where to preorder. Nor was there a giveaway of a Sony, that I can recall. And while I'm not going back to specifically check, I'm pretty sure there weren't eight different home page news posts on it in the span of a week. We've got the release of the Kindle, better quality photos, covers you can buy, differences between the first and the second, shipping times, etc. All this and you can't even get your hands on one yet.

So is it because I am a loyal Sony girl that it seems like there has been more for the Kindle than there was for the 700, or does it seem that way for anyone else too?
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Funny, as a Kindle owner, I feel that on an ongoing daily basis there is a lot of anti-Kindle and anti-Amazon sentiment here. It gets really frustrating.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I don't know, the Sony forums usually seem to be busier than the Kindle forums.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
The 700 was an arguable improvement over the 505 - even with fans of the Sony line, a lot of people felt (and still feel) that the difference in contrast makes the 700 a downgrade as a reader. That was kind of a buzz-kill.

On the other hand, the Kindle 2 is at this point widely regarded as a major upgrade. There's only positive press thus far.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I don't think that is true at all.

Every gadgety site makes a lot of hay when a new product comes out. Kindle 2 is big news - it's not only big news in this community, but making big news in the rest of the media as well.

You're going to see a lot of Kindle news for a while. As long as things come out, it'll get covered. If Sony does something interesting, it'll be covered too.

In fact, I'd agree with Daffy - if anything this place is a bit hostile to the Kindle (I don't think the editorial team is, just a lot of people around here. And that's fine.)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
As a Sony owner, the Kindle coverage doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I think the Kindle 2 is a legitimate news story, especially in the world of "ereaders". Like it or not, Amazon is the 700lb guerrila in this game, and anything they do is going to have a disproportionate impact on this industry. I'm happy it is getting generally positive press - not only from gadget sites, but also from the mainstream media. Anything that pushes the concept of ebooks forward is a good thing in my book.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Things are often just a matter of perception, but having been a member of MR for over 1 1/2 years, and owning both a K1 and a Sony 505 (and preferring (slightly) the 505), I can honestly say..

I perceive absolutely no bias in the moderation of MR for either Sony or Amazon.

It is the Cybook they are obviously biased toward!!

No seriously, why would they be biased toward any device? They are only interested in readership! They have nothing to gain by any bias. That would only limit their readership.

And the moderators here are a diverse group with a wide range of devices that they use.

I think you are perhaps just overcome by the recent excitement at the launch of a new device. The same intensity exists whenever a new device is released. And it is short lived.

Then we all get back to unmentionable silliness and foolish folderol.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It will get juicer once the Kindle people start getting their Kindle IIs
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
Yesterday morning I thought that there seemed to be a lot on the main page news about the Kindle, but it's new, so that's to be expected. Then when I came home last night and there was even more, I thought about posting about it, but didn't get around to it. Now this morning I look and there is even more, so posting I am.
It's true we've been covering a lot about the new Kindle for the past few days, but isn't that to be expected? Even sites not dedicated to e-books have continuous coverage, and I believe it's perfectly fine considering that the Kindle 2 has been rumored for so long (unlike the Sony 700) and that Amazon is the driving force on the e-book market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Funny, as a Kindle owner, I feel that on an ongoing daily basis there is a lot of anti-Kindle and anti-Amazon sentiment here. It gets really frustrating.
Is that still so? I genuinely believe that whatever sort of anti-Amazon sentiment there might have been, it has passed. Of course everyone here is free to express his or her own opinion, but I don't see any pattern that would go over expressing one's personal opinion.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If some people think we are "pro Kindle" and others think we are "anti Kindle", that probably indicates that we have the balance about right.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It's true we've been covering a lot about the new Kindle for the past few days, but isn't that to be expected? Even sites not dedicated to e-books have continuous coverage, and I believe it's perfectly fine considering that the Kindle 2 has been rumored for so long (unlike the Sony 700) and that Amazon is the driving force on the e-book market.
I agree with you Alex. Perhaps, though, for those people outside the US for whom the Kindle is not available, it may all seem to be a little irrelevent?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with you Alex. Perhaps, though, for those people outside the US for whom the Kindle is not available, it may all seem to be a little irrelevent?
You think? I would be surprised if Amazon's actions in the e-book business wouldn't also affect us Europeans in some way or the other. And regarding the Kindle not being available, that's true, today, but that was also true for most other popular e-book readers, most importantly the Sony Reader. It's still not available in Germany, although it will be next month.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
You think? I would be surprised if Amazon's actions in the e-book business wouldn't also affect us Europeans in some way or the other. And regarding the Kindle not being available, that's true, today, but that was also true for most other popular e-book readers, most importantly the Sony Reader. It's still not available in Germany, although it will be next month.
No, I don't think so personally. I was simply saying that perhaps some people might think "why are we dedicating so much space to a machine that we can't buy?". I agree entirely with what you say above.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Ah, yes, I can see how that would be possible. But like you guys already mentioned, we are a very diverse bunch of e-book fans, and I don't see any reason why we should be biased towards a particular device.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:09 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I, for one, would love to buy a Kindle if I only could. All those news about the Kindle make me feel jealous. I just hope the Kindle will be available here soon, too (and not K1)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote