Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-19-2006, 04:33 AM   #1
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Splitting Landscape Scans

Hello,

I have a question. I have quite a few books scanned in landscape form (2 pages per scan, in PDF form). Is there any software or tutorials on how to split the pages? so that I have one page per page?
Devlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't think it's possible with Adobe Acrobat Pro (I checked all of its options for a clue). However, there seem to be third party tools that might do the trick. With Google I found:Sorry for not being any more concrete. Maybe someone else can tell you more.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you sir, I'll check them out and I'll report if they work.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:00 AM   #4
Devlar
Enthusiast

While I find it somewhat odd, none of the programs do what I was looking for.

It's really odd that no one has created a utility that will take an image, break it in half and make two pages out of it.

That being said I did find a solution to my problem using Acrobat and Pdftk.

First take your landscape PDF and crop all pages. Save all the even pages as "even.pdf", save the odd pages as "odd.pdf"

Copy odd.pdf and even.pdf into the pdftk directory (unless you installed pdftk in the system32 dir)

Now go into the command console and into the pdftk directory.

First we have to expand the odd and even pages

pdftk A.pdf burst output %04d_A.pdf
pdftk B.pdf burst output %04d_B.pdf

Then we have to recombine the pages in order

pdftk *_?.pdf cat output combined.pdf

The only downside of this technqiue is that it creates a whole lot of temporary files

so if you had less than 1000 pages, just type in

del 0*.*

congrats, you've got a combined.pdf that separated your pages and put them in order.

Hopefully someone will find this useful
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Devlar
Enthusiast

Man, have I never been so happy to find an old post like this.
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Most OCR programs can actually do that on the fly. If you have Linux you can use the program pdfimages to get all the images again. Than you can use Scantailor to split and optimize. If you really want a PDF again, you can always use Imagemagick to do that. Only pdfimages is Linux, all other programs are also available on Windows.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlar View Post
Hello,

I have a question. I have quite a few books scanned in landscape form (2 pages per scan, in PDF form). Is there any software or tutorials on how to split the pages? so that I have one page per page?
You can use Scankromsator or (as Toxaris said) Scantailor. Both of them, split and optimize scanned pages.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Since we're taking this old thread up again, here's a couple of "new" ways:

BRISS

PDF Scissors

or print to pdf from Acrobat Viewer using "Tile all pages"

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I can confirm Briss works very well. Crops as well.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote