Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Sounds like Kobo still ships buggy devices...

From a review of the Glo published at goodereader.com:

"The hardware does suffer a little bit the longer you use it, and we found ourselves in many circumstances where it becomes unresponsive."

And this is after two updates that took place after taking it out of the box.

The reviews at goodereader are badly written and miss a lot, but this does not augur well (and I really want both a Glo and a Touch).

Last edited by EldRick; 10-02-2012 at 01:58 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
I guess we'll hear soon enough on this forum if that is the case.
Hope not... Not admiring the resolution on the other present option in the UK, the Nook glowlight.
Hope the next firmware corrects this (ahem)...
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The updates were planned to take place upon activation. The devices were released to manufacturing long before the final firmware was finished and the first things Kobo's always have to do is "phone home" for current firmware.

In this case, apparently it is a two step process (localization ?). It is not a sign that it was buggy or defective at all. I am shocked that you did not know this, Eldrick.

You also neglected to say that the review you cite gave the device a 9 out of 10 rating.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

I'd expect it to update and localize itself on first use. However, you apparently missed my statement "And this is after two updates that took place after taking it out of the box."

Apparently whatever caused the issues that they spotted was with the latest SW update installed.

Last edited by EldRick; 10-02-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I've been using mine since yesterday and have had no trouble yet.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
EldRick
Evangelist

Glad to hear it - perhaps there is hope.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
From a review of the Glo published at goodereader.com:

"The hardware does suffer a little bit the longer you use it, and we found ourselves in many circumstances where it becomes unresponsive."

And this is after two updates that took place after taking it out of the box.

The reviews at goodereader are badly written and miss a lot, but this does not augur well (and I really want both a Glo and a Touch).
Did you see the fingernails on the guys trying to tap all over the place? He taps with his fingernail often, and bends it while he's doing so... I'd not respond to that either! Ouch! And then every time after an unresponsive fingernail tap, when he tried the meat on his finger instead, there was response immediately...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
clarkent
clarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura aboutclarkent has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
He's got some serious nails growing too. If you know you're gonna be doing a video featuring your fingers, hey, think about trimming those guys...just sayin. lol
clarkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkent View Post
He's got some serious nails growing too. If you know you're gonna be doing a video featuring your fingers, hey, think about trimming those guys...just sayin. lol
Haha yeh... then again, who has nails that long AND is able to keep them clean? He must clean them every day to have them so clear... so perhaps he likes them that long? Ugh... doesn't seem like the guitar player trick either, as both hands have such long nails.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Haha yeh... then again, who has nails that long AND is able to keep them clean? He must clean them every day to have them so clear... so perhaps he likes them that long? Ugh... doesn't seem like the guitar player trick either, as both hands have such long nails.
Comedy response would be he's got a coke problem.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Marbouk
Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo glo
Hi, new here.
Just like to say my kobo glo is still working great and fully responsive.
The glo screen is brilliant, I can't stand to even look at my old kindle now.
There is a slight line of shadow along the bottom but not as bad as the paperwhites I've seen in reviews.

The review by gooodreader where he can't get the screen to respond is because he is in the tutorial mode and the only way to move on is to press on the arrows at the bottom of the screen. He taps all over the screen everywhere except the arrow then gives up and presses the X to escape. the screen is very sensitive, he makes it look real bad :-(
Marbouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #12
ceekay
ceekay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo crashes

I have now had two Kobo Glos, as the first Glo had a piece of fibre or hair stuck inside the screen which was annoying when the light turned on (WH Smith replaced it happily).

However, with both Glos I have experience crashes, and this has always happened while customising the fonts, in particular the line spacing. No amount of waiting, tapping the screen or holding down the power button rectifies this, as the unit seems totally unresponsive. It just requires me to have a paper clip by my bedside for the reset button.

I am sure this is a bug which can be corrected with a future firmware release, and apart from that I am very happy with the device.

I must also note that the shadow at the bottom of the screen is slightly less noticeable on my second device than on the first, thankfully.
ceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Did the problem with crashes and line adjustment happen with ePub files with calibre generated style sheets by any chance? If so, you may want to do some adjusting in look and feel within calibre before adding the books onto your device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Did the problem with crashes and line adjustment happen with ePub files with calibre generated style sheets by any chance? If so, you may want to do some adjusting in look and feel within calibre before adding the books onto your device.
I've had 2 unexpected reboots with my Glo, both while adjusting font size or line spacing. Both were on Ebooks that had been through a Conversion (using the "Convert Books" icon. I'm assuming that is what you mean by "calibre generated style sheets". What kind of changes are you suggesting? I am slightly familiar with the Preferences > Conversion panels.

As an aside, this is better than a similar problem I had with my KTouch when it locked up during Font adjustments. In that case, I didn't have to pin-reset ... just doing a USB connect to my laptop broke the freeze.
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think that rapid or too many changes at one time on the Fonts screen has always caused hangs / crashes on the Touch.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote